Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Two hypothetical future bodies I'd like to see..

First, I think a modern, digital ZX-5n would be great. A modern DSLR with classic manual controls, maybe even in a retro-styled metal body. Include a fully auto mode of course, but make the manual controls the most important aspect of the body.

Second, I'd like a DSLR which is actually a scriptable and progammable applications platform. Pentax could define a set of APIs for third party application developers, create a web store for selling apps for the camera, things that could modify and extend the functionality of the camera in all sorts of ways. The camera could also come with scripting functionality so that anyone could easily modify the behaviour in simple but powerful ways, and those scripts could be loaded and unloaded to the camera on the fly (USB, Bluetooth or perhaps WiFi). The camera could also go into a mode where it could be almost entirely controlled by a computer, both by software Pentax could ship with it or with third party (or even entirely custom) applications. Pentax running the app store would mean they'd get a cut out of each app sold (just like the iPhone/iPad) and they could ensure a certain baseline quailty of the apps in the store. Perhaps the camera could also contain an expansion slot for additional expansion hardware, like a GPS or other sensors, maybe the camera would come with a multi-axis motion sensor and that info could be available to apps on the camera so that programs could dynamically adjust how the camera behaves based on how fast the camera is moving and in what direction while it is focusing and taking pictures. Maybe the camera would be powerful enough to do in-body corrections for lenses beyond just Pentax lenses, maybe custom lens corrections each particular lens a photographer owns could be possible. Maybe new artistic in-body camera modes would be possible. I have so many ideas on this, I could write for hours, but I have a full-time job and it is not camera designer... but there are people out there who would love this, just look at what people have done with the Canon Hack Development Kit (CHDK) and that's not official!

Anyway just a couple of ideas I'd love to see Pentax make into real products some day.

11-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in.

I'd love to have more control over the auto-exposure program, particularly when using flash. (Basically, only P and Av mode works with flash, and Av basically fixes the shutter speed at 1/100th of second and varies flash output and ISO. That's not necessarily what I want.)
11-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Maybe add voice and texting to the wifi camera, a key pad, more apps and make it small enough to fit in your pocket...............:-)
11-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This would be way cool, of course, but quite a bit of work and expense so Pentax would need to be pretty convinced that this would attract the mainstream users in addition to geeks. Could be less of a pipe dream than open source firmware, but, but ... this would seem to require more memory, a separate application processor and/or MMU though so price and battery drain would go up with these.

11-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Actually tethering over USB where the applications would be on a PC would seem to be an alternative for this kind of thing. It would seem like a good idea to specify the interface at the TCP/IP level and then present the camera as USB network adapter to the computer. This way, the applications would have a portable and future proof interface and the connecting medium could be, say adhoq WiFi with a special Pentax (tm) adapter for the camera end.
11-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

And price them in line with what the technology dictates, say around $500.

Jason
11-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Forum Member

i would like to have digital k1000 without any additional functions with viewfinder from me super

11-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zelovoc Quote
i would like to have digital k1000 without any additional functions with viewfinder from me super
I would go for that! or a digital super program with FF viewfinder and Winder ME-II "grip"as the battery holder.
11-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #9

i would like add a gps module so that can record gps information in exif
11-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #10

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
Retro digital camera

How about a MX, ME Super type that is just a digital back that can be installed, with a method of setting the ISO rating, and the rest is the old MX or ME camera. Many usable old MXs and MEs are still very much alive.
11-05-2010, 04:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Elva Quote
How about a MX, ME Super type that is just a digital back that can be installed, with a method of setting the ISO rating, and the rest is the old MX or ME camera. Many usable old MXs and MEs are still very much alive.
That would be lovely to have, maybe not pragmatic, but lovely :-)
11-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #12

With a library of user written extras i can see a thing I've alway wanted: languages that are not already in the camera (or corrections of those already existing). Perhaps further customization of buttons?

BTW, don't we already have a "dear pentax" thread?
01-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I'm game for a "Spotmatic D" (in silver) My first SLR was a Spotmatic F and traded it for an Olympus OM1,still regretting it 35 years later, miss the match-needle metering sometimes too,

Barry
01-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to see the next pro body (K3?) with both TTL and P-TTL as well as the ability to be programmer for manual aperture (k mount) lenses in AV mode. Ideally reintroduce the aperture coupling

As a real whim a digital M42 body
02-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, I would like to see a digital ZX-5n and ZX-L (i.e. first Pentax digital full frame ) and no LCD on the back.

Last edited by violini; 02-13-2011 at 05:23 PM.