Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K10 autofocus question

I'm curious whether the AF button on the back of the K10 body will perform an autofocus when the main switch is set to Manual focus. Can one of the lucky K10 owners out there confirm this functionality for me?

09-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #2

It does not.
09-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Too bad!

Pentax engineers take note - manual control of autofocus might be the next killer feature
09-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

While the AF button will not activate the AF motor while set to manual, it will "turn on" the infocus indicator in the viewfinder. I use it when shooting with my mid 70's Vivitar TX-K mount 300mm f5.6. Works just fine - also works on the *ist Ds.

In order to put the K10D (or *ist Ds) into a more old school method - decouple the AF function from the shutter button. Make the AF button your primary method of focusing. This is the first customization I did to my K10D when I bought it - I bought just the body - and while the clerk was ringing up the sale, I was going through the custom menus to decouple AF from the d*mn shutter button.

This allows me to work just like I have for the last 40 years. Get the thing I want in focus -in focus (press the AF button) find the thing to meter off of and set the exposure. Frame the image and fine tune the focus manual if I like it (on Pentax lenses of course - the older AF lenses and some third party lenses will eat the focus motor if you turn the focus ring while in AF mode, but Pentax DA lenses have a clutch that allows for manual tweaking). Make the exposure - if the subject has not really moved - just press the shutter again - the focus point does not change for each shutter press.

PDL

09-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #5

Not sure what you meant by "manual control of AF", but when you switch to MF mode, the camera AF screw disengages from the lens.
09-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

When you switch the camera to Manual focus using the switch on the front of the camera, when you push the AF button it activates the AF circutry and viewfinder indicator. It would also activate the d*mn "i'm in focus" beep if you are so inclined.

By decoupling AF from the shutter button - you are essentially choosing when the camera focuses by manually pushing the AF button. The camera only focuses when you tell it to focus - just like when you used to twist the focus ring. With the shutter button controlling AF - the camera is in charge of choosing what object and when that object is to be in focus - every time you press the shutter button the camera will try to focus.

For instance - a baseball game - you are on the first base side shooting a guy playing third base. (shooting across the field) You know that in this situation the guy on second is going to try and steal third. You set up the shot - focus on the base - set the exposure and wait for the action - you see the attempt and get your shot(s). But the umpire lost his glasses, his inclusion in the species Homo Sapiens is questioned as the third baseman has a fit - you fire off more shots. During this the people (if the umpire is considered a species member on your part) move and the subject is not dead center - if you have the shutter button controlling when the AF works - you look at your images and the guy in the left field bleachers is in focus and the third baseman just contributes to the Bokeh. If you use the technique I outlined, you have the arguement captured and the guy in the left field bleachers is part of the Bokeh.

This way you can have both manual control and the benefits of AF. AF but when you want it, not when the camera says it is time to focus.

PDL

Last edited by PDL; 09-19-2007 at 11:28 PM.
09-20-2007, 01:30 AM   #7
Lee

Thank you for the info PDL! This will be very helpful for hockey and other action oriented shots.

09-20-2007, 03:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
I'm curious whether the AF button on the back of the K10 body will perform an autofocus when the main switch is set to Manual focus. Can one of the lucky K10 owners out there confirm this functionality for me?
How can you get autofocus when the MF lever has selected which simply means the AF coupling screw driver has been retracted all the way back to the body? :-)
09-20-2007, 06:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
Too bad!

Pentax engineers take note - manual control of autofocus might be the next killer feature
So basically you want a"powerzoom" feature for manual focus. Interesting thought. Not sure it would be any different than finger powered focus.
So power focus w/ focus confirmation? Would be pointless because that's what the camera currently does. w/out focus confirmation or focus confirm override? May have benefits...Button focus, may eliminate the need for the slip clutch in the lenses. Not sure it would be precise enough though.
09-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I must admit, I'm having a hard time following you.. If I understand your question correctly, you DO have manual control of AF lenses on the K10D.

Switch to MF from either AF-C or AF-S and you'll have manual focus control on an auto-focus lens.

Also, even with the camera in AF-S or AF-C Mode you can take advantage of the Pentax Quick-Shift focus system. Essentialy, if you have any DA or D-FA lenses mounted, you can instantly switch from AF to MF by simply grabbing the focusing ring on the lens and focusing.

"these lenses feature the innovative Quick-Shift Focus System, which allows the photographer to first capture the subject focus in AF mode, then move to manual focus without the need to perform mode switching operations."
09-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I must admit, I'm having a hard time following you.. If I understand your question correctly, you DO have manual control of AF lenses on the K10D.

Switch to MF from either AF-C or AF-S and you'll have manual focus control on an auto-focus lens.

Also, even with the camera in AF-S or AF-C Mode you can take advantage of the Pentax Quick-Shift focus system. Essentialy, if you have any DA or D-FA lenses mounted, you can instantly switch from AF to MF by simply grabbing the focusing ring on the lens and focusing.

"these lenses feature the innovative Quick-Shift Focus System, which allows the photographer to first capture the subject focus in AF mode, then move to manual focus without the need to perform mode switching operations."
Tom he's referring to focus by stick.. but no AF control logic. Use buttons/wheels for MF using the drive motor........just keep the AF control circuitry out of it, and your fingers. Power manual focus......Of course it wouldn't work w non-af lenses. Not sure why everyones having a hard time with this.
09-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I know why everyone is having a hard time with it, it makes no sense and has no benefit.

Without AF lock you would constantly be over-shooting the AF point. Think about it, pressing a button to focus yet it doesn't stop when it actually focuses. It makes NO sense! Then, once you overshoot it one way you need to press yet another button to bring it back so you'll end up overshooting a second time, and over and over again. And you want Pentax to 'take note' of this next 'killer feature'?

Sorry but, this just doesn't seem a worthy addition to ANY camera.
09-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
I know why everyone is having a hard time with it, it makes no sense and has no benefit.

Without AF lock you would constantly be over-shooting the AF point. Think about it, pressing a button to focus yet it doesn't stop when it actually focuses. It makes NO sense! Then, once you overshoot it one way you need to press yet another button to bring it back so you'll end up overshooting a second time, and over and over again. And you want Pentax to 'take note' of this next 'killer feature'?

Sorry but, this just doesn't seem a worthy addition to ANY camera.
If the AF and assorted circutry is accurate enough to get focus, using a button to manually control the motor should not decrease the precision. Only difference is using your eye as the AF sensor. Granted it appears to not be a highly desireable feature but see no real good reason for it not to work. As far as I understand the AF motors are 'steppers" in discreet steps and a tap on a button would only move it a "step" as it does now using the AF sensor....Of course MF w/ the aperature ring is "continuous" and therefore if the best focus is somewhere in between a step then your precision increases. Not sure how often (or how off) in between steps are THE focus. My DA 100 does this in low light a LOT, step,step, step...not sure if there all in one direction but that's not pertinent.....But to agree w/ you AF w/ manual override is probably much faster than full motor control by a human
09-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

This thread is funny... It reminds me of the guy who's pissed that the K10D does not have GPS datum sets or NEMA connectivity so he can embed Lat/Lon information into the EXIF data. He probably wants Real-Time Traffic Avoidance to boot!

Then there's the guy who says Pentax sucks because they don't offer WiFi in their DSLRs.. Right! The last thing we need is some twit's hijacked K10D spamming all of us with images of his cat and over-saturated sky photos taken in his backyard. "All your images are belong to us"
09-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
rdc

The best thing about making the AF button the only way to autofocus (not a half-press) is that it allows the shutter to trip without an auto focus lock. Although the ergonomics of the buton are a whole lot worse than my 10D having that button was a key factor in allowing me to switch from Canon.

And b as soneone else said it is physicially impossible to autofocus while set to manual....well I suppose the newer moter-in-lens lenses could do it, but they can manual focus when set to auto so theres really no point.