Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
dpreview has uploaded comparison shots!

Sorry if this has been covererd. I did a quick search...

dpreview has added D7000 and K-5 shots to its recent 60D Review.

You can now do comparisons at different ISO's between the three cameras, looking at 100% crops from their studio scene. Interesting!

Here is a link to the full-screen version:

Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ

(who wants to read the rest of the 60D review anyway!)

Can't wait for the full review!

11-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The most interesting thing about those comparisons to me is what happens when you bring up the K-x. It looks very close to the K-5 at 12800. The D700 looks significantly better than both, to my eye at least.
11-11-2010, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

It's interesting reading the commentary on the tests in the Nikon and Pentax forums of dpr. You'd sometimes wonder whether they were looking at the same dpreview test.

This kind of picture-based pixel-peeping test - with all it's issues of focus accuracy, DOF, lens used, RAW convertor used, in-camera JPEG settings used, etc etc - shows why DXO's more fundamental sensor testing has a lot of advantages.
11-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
The most interesting thing about those comparisons to me is what happens when you bring up the K-x. It looks very close to the K-5 at 12800. The D700 looks significantly better than both, to my eye at least.
I was unable to get the D700 in the comparison selections.
Is there a specific way to get that option?

Also, on the issue of the Kx vs K5, I think that they do quite close in JPG.
However RAW, shows a different story.
If you look closely at the grain and detail at 12.8k, you can may identify three attributes that influence IQ.

1. Noise grain(size and type).
2. Noise Artifact frequency(black dots).
3. Edge detail preservation or identification.

And given the sample sizes, it really isn't easy to assess(that's true). But with larger patches, the effects becomes much easier to discern and observe.

11-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They do look quite similar in JPEG. Not sure if these represent default NR settings of are they set to OFF.
IMO, the results are very close between 3 of them. Not something worth jumping ship for any one of them.

wrt JPEG at ISO12800
Its a win here loose there situation.
D7K does better with yellow, but there is a yellow cast and lots of patchy yellow blotches everywhere like what was seen on Imaging Resource. Seemly better detail on flat surface detail (eg. card prints). Then again, the contrast is slightly more as well, so that may give that extra hint of detail.

For me K5 does better with most of the other colors. Colors look a bit more vibrant. Very slightly better in fine detail for dimensional objects (Eg. feather, hair), and less noise, but can look softer on flat surface ones (eg. Printed card).

Canon 60D is not too bad overall either.

I’d actually say that all of them good enough , no real difference, win here loose there, though I’m a bit worried on the patchy yellow for D7K

I am a pessimist when it comes to DPR reviewing Pentax, they will probably 'slam' the K5 against the competition as 'soft' based on the JPEG

Last edited by pinholecam; 11-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.
11-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this the same info? ... :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/121954-dp-review-compa...60d-shots.html
There's another thread already on that ... which came first?
I've just posted in the other and similar thread and mentioned: "Annoying" to find the same info on two "new" threads.

JP
11-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm surprised. I do see a difference in jpeg in favor of the K5 from iso 6400 on. D7000 seems really washed out, with more noise reduction smoothing at that point, both with noise reduction set to normal and set to high. Be more interesting to see RAW comparison, with and without post processing.

11-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #8

Why do so many of the K5 shots, even the low ISO ones, look so murky?

Maybe it's just too late for me. I'll look again in the morning : ) But I dunno.
11-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Is this the same info? ... : DP Review comparison of K5, D7000 & 60D shots
Yes, you are right. geauxpez beat me by about 4 minutes! Sorry about that!
11-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hut234 Quote
Why do so many of the K5 shots, even the low ISO ones, look so murky?

Maybe it's just too late for me. I'll look again in the morning : ) But I dunno.
Because DPReview shot the Canon at its highest resolution and the Pentax was shot past that point. This is why you see PF blooming along the edges(arborration) due to the sample being shot at f/9.

TBH. I don't think this was a mistake.
DPREview has a nasty habit of slanting samples when it comes to promoting Canon gear.
11-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I never would have guessed,what with the full on canon-based backgrounds their site has been using on and off lately!

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
DPREview has a nasty habit of slanting samples when it comes to promoting Canon gear.
11-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #12

I was unable to get the D700 in the comparison selections.
Is there a specific way to get that option?
If you want to see what the D700 would be like select the D3, which is a 3 year old camera, but has the same sensor. It has about a one stop advantage, maybe less

The D3s is also an option though, and it appears (at least to my eyes) to still have a 2 stop advantage over any of the APS-C cameras. with the ISO51200 sample having about the same noise and more detail than the K5, D7000, or 60d at ISO12800

As said, when it comes to noise there is no substitute for larger pixels. APS-C sensors will never match current FF sensors. They can't even beat one that is 3 years old, it's darned close, but it's not there yet.
11-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #13

Because DPReview shot the Canon at its highest resolution and the Pentax was shot past that point. This is why you see PF blooming along the edges(arborration) due to the sample being shot at f/9.

But the Nikon sample shot at f9, and the Canon was shot at f8. Not exactly a huge difference. F8-11 should be the sweet spot for just about any camera.
11-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
But the Nikon sample shot at f9, and the Canon was shot at f8. Not exactly a huge difference. F8-11 should be the sweet spot for just about any camera.
See -here- for an entertaining overview

Full link here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/122255-dpreviews-canon-bias-work.html

I'm not trying to dump on the 60D here.
In fact, I think the system deserves a fair shake like any other.
But I am calling DPReviews questionable history and behavior toward the likely possibility that the samples were carefully chosen to favor one system over the other.
11-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The comparison between the D7000 and the K5 is interesting... obviously more similar than different but once again we can see that the Pentax renders a noisier, but more detail rich image, while the Nikon tends to look a little less noisy, but also blurrier.

The question is whether they turned noise reduction off. One of the reasons I chose the k20d when I looked at far too many comparison shots was I liked how the Pentax maintained a grain structure that you could decide to smooth over, or keep for artistic effect.