Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Need a stopgap DSLR before buying a K5 - suggestions?

I sold my K7 and plan to upgrade to a K5. As I was told that that the second wave of stocks are still a month away in Australia, plus the fact I want to wait for the price to drop a bit, I am thinking of buying a stopgap camera.

I am thinking about a K200, K10, or a K20, or perhaps a KX - which I may keep later as a second body.

My budget is modest however - I don't want to throw away too much good money that may be better used for the K5 purchase!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

11-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Left of field suggestion but how about a film camera? Should keep you interested enough for a month.
11-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You should be able to pick up a K10 for very reasonable price. I have been using one over the last 6 weeks as a backup (k20 in for repair) and it does more than a satisfactory job IMHO (results somewhat dependant on what lens you will be using.).

My efforts for last month with K10d can be see here. (.all but top row of shots)

Bramela's Album: Single in November - PentaxForums.com

Hope this helps you
11-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #4

I'll second the K10, which around here is about $150 (Japan) and it's got that pro build. The drawback is that it suffers noise at any iso past 400, and pattern noise at 1600, which just can't be dealt with. I do shoot at 1600 sometimes but make sure you expose to the right.

K20 is also cheap though, and for that you get the same body but with more pixels and better noise, which will make it more likely to be kept as a backup body once you have your K-5.

...I'm also waiting for the price drop.... and some reviews

11-19-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote

My budget is modest however - I don't want to throw away too much good money that may be better used for the K5 purchase!

Any suggestions?
Yeah, control your impatience and give your P&S a good workout in the meantime.

That good money that you intend to throw after bad will definitely be needed because K-5 street price ain't gonna drop in .Au anytime before close to mid next year.

The model is riding on a high - has been gaining image like a cult icon in its own little world - and CRK and local retailers will screw that for what they can. Also as you'd know the greys won't bother too much over it.
And self-importing isn't an option either because K-5 was released on our dirt bearing a most unusually attractive price tag in the first place, giving it less room to move.
You do the sums.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-19-2010 at 12:24 AM.
11-19-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Yeah, control your impatience and give your P&S a good workout in the meantime.
Good suggestion, but I have just purchased a FA*200 F2.8 lens that used up all the money from the sale of my K7 (and then some!) and so I may not be getting a K5 for a little while as a result. In the meantime I need something I can mount the FA* to!

I would have thought a used K200 would have been my cheapest option but they seem to be selling for as much if not more than used K10s. Strange.

btw - I thought about going back to film but that would be a bit of a dead end so it isn't really an option.
11-19-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

... I have just purchased a FA*200 F2.8 lens ...

I would have thought a used K200 would have been my cheapest option but they seem to be selling for as much if not more than used K10s. Strange.

btw - I thought about going back to film but that would be a bit of a dead end so it isn't really an option.
Yep, film isn't a serious up/down/side-grade option is it!? Really only for luddites who have a vested interest in equipment and enjoy sniffing chemicals.
Those same ones who polish their collections of vinyl records and wear corduroy pants.

I see your prob, we simply don't have that huge s/h local market like US residents do, prices are always commensurate with supply & demand which long distance shipping and interbank exchanges doesn't help.

Looks like a new K-x could be the realistic path though, bloody affordable now too for what it brings and at least its sensor will be able to hang in there and do justice with that FA*200 F2.8 - plus would have a bit of resale value left in it too when you're ready to take the big jump.
Maybe I should sell you my K-x and upgrade myself.

.R.

11-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

I woud agree with two earlier posts that a K10 would be a nice, cheap option and WR.

Food for thoughts
11-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Go with the kx, unless you really need the sealing that the K10 offers.
11-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #10

Good suggestion, but I have just purchased a FA*200 F2.8 lens that used up all the money from the sale of my K7 (and then some!) and so I may not be getting a K5 for a little while as a result. In the meantime I need something I can mount the FA* to!

It shouldn't really be a surprise that K200D holds its value well; K200D is da b0mb! :-) Seriously, there is a market for a smaller body than the K10/20, and while the K200D lacks certain pro features it retains the top LCD and grip options of the upper tier.

WR, the K10D sensor but with slightly better high-ISO performance and .jpegs; what's not to love?

So if you aren't going to 6MP or to film, your budget option is the k-m/k-2000, your high-ISO and video option is the k-x, your big body option is the K10D, and your right-size WR option is the K200D. If you are thinking of buying the K20D, you shouldn't have sold your K7. :-)
11-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Impartial Quote
If you are thinking of buying the K20D, you shouldn't have sold your K7. :-)
I understand where you're coming from, but the fact is a used K20 is half the price of a K7.

But on that note, maybe I should have bought a K20 new instead of the K7 and saved myself some money!
11-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

toughen up princess and wait it out.
11-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DS

If you can find one for AUD 150 or under, the ist *DS might be another option. No weather sealing and no shake reduction, but a nice little body just the same. But not worth more than 150.
BTW, the K20D is a much better camera than the K-x if you find a K20D for close to the price of a K-x go with the K20D.

NaCl(and good luck, it's a bummer to be without a camera)H2O
11-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I would buy a k10d/k20d for low iso quality, or the KX for high iso / portability, and use it for a good year while the k-5's price normalizes. What I would likely buy is simply the cheapest body that you can find. These things are all throwaway, and the less you spend on your body, the better (unless we are talking about massages).
11-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #15

Stick with pentaprism models

You might find the smaller, dimmer viewfinder of the pentamirror models a bit annoying. I owned a K200D for a while - a really super camera, but the viewfinder really felt lacking.

The K10D has to be the best bargain around - I use a K20D as my main body and still have a K10D as backup.

I still miss my DS - especially its super small size - and you might consider one if you get a bargain.

Mike