Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question for K-X users

I've found one for less than $400 and am considering an upgrade from my K100D. The K100D has the LCD on top, the K-X doesn't. For those of you who upgraded from a DSLR that had the LCD on top, do you miss it? And if so, why is it essential you have one?

11-21-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

I have a K-7 and I love the 2nd upper display (LCD on top). I often carry my camera with the neck strap and I check regularly the upper display rapidly, especially to check my settings.

When the camera rests on the neck strap, the back LCD is againt my jacket and not accessible unless I tilt the camera. That's is when the upper display is a must.

If you do no use the neck strap as often I do, you might not need the 2nd LCD as I do/

Hope that the comment help....
11-21-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I carry my K100D on a neckstrap too. That's one reason I was asking as I can see my setting easier that way with the top LCD.
11-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Inactive Account

hi, i sold my k10 to buy a kx because of the hig iso capability, and i never missed the top LCD. The only thing that lack in Pentax Kx and Kr is the weather seal, so i sold my kx and i bought a k200d ...

11-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. My K100D isn't weather sealed either but I made a raincoat for it, and could/would do the same for the K-X, so that is not a problem for me.
11-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

wow!! i also made some strange arrangments for my unsealed bodys (like my olf canon 30d or my soni alpha 330)! So if you think $400 is a good price for a kx (brand new?? used one?) buy it immediatly! i think i've never seen a better camera body. Has a lot of functions that make your life easier like automatic CA , vignetting and distortion correction, very fast continuous shooting (4,7 fps) , it is not bigger and hevier than your k100d and works very well also at 6400 iso.

here you can find some pictures taken with my Pentax Kx

...ed equilibrata la mia mogliettina! di Alce - isd88, su Flickr
11-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
The one I'm looking at is used. But so was my K100D that came with updated firmware (so I could use SDHC cards) and only 2,000 odd shutter actuations, it was a good deal. I can't buy it now, funds are low and I have to decide if I want to sell the K100D or keep it. I'm thinking maybe after Christmas buying time.

This is the reason I was thinking on getting the K-X...

QuoteQuote:
works very well also at 6400 iso.
My backyard is shaded in the evenings when birds come to eat, and in the mornings when bigger birds fly in for a meal. The higher ISO would help in those situations.

11-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I own a K100d, K10d, and K20d as well as a K-x. I seldom miss the top LCD at all. I do miss the focus point indicators of my other bodies. I miss the front exposure wheel of the K10/20d. Nevertheless, I am very happy with the K-x as a replacement for the K100d as a travel camera. The smaller size of the K-x is a reasonable trade-off for features like the top screen.
11-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have never owned a camera with a top LCD (Kx is my first DSLR) but have used many cameras with it and really think it is just an extra perk and is definitely not necessary. When I turn on my camera I change the settings for the situation and from then on most of my changes are done with my eye up to the viewfinder and I can see the settings on the bottom line. I know it does not cover everything a top LCD would but it is enough for me.
11-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Gene thanks for your input. I have very small hands and smaller camera would work out best for me.

I read in another thread that the viewfinder is smaller on the K-X, how small is smaller?

KxBlaze, thanks. My last three film cameras had the LCD on top too.

Mostly the reason I'm looking at the K-X is the fact it uses AA batteries instead of a grip. I think the grip would add more weight and the K100D is almost too heavy with my Sigma 79-300mm attached. Add a grip to the K-7 or newer cameras and I probably would have problems hand holding, which is what I shoot most of the time.
11-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've owned the K100D, K20D and K-x now. I will admit that the back display took a little bit of adaptation. I'm pretty used to it now, but it can still be distracting for night shooting. If I'm composing a scene and I take my finger off of the shutter button, the camera info display pops up and is quite bright when there isn't a lot of ambient light. It's not a deal-breaker, but it can get slightly annoying by the end of the night.
11-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a matter of getting used to the available display on the K-x. I too wondered how well I'd 'cope' not having the top LCD, always having had a camera with one of those. But shooting with the K-x is such a joy, that minor detail is easily overlooked - you always have the ever present back LCD as well as the viewfinder info, which is great for when you don't want to take your eye off the viewfinder.

There is a significant improvement in sheer performance from the K100D to the K-x - very easily noticed when you start shooting with one. And the loss of focus points and top LCD become much less a gripe.
11-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Chris, thanks for you input also. I don't do much night shooting so that shouldn't be a problem for me. I would think there would be a way to dim the brightness of the display though.

And Ash, nice to hear from you. And thanks for comments. I don't really think I'll miss the focus points much. I hardly pay attention to those in the K100D now. If I see what I'm shooting is in focus, that's all I need to know.
11-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I would take the compactness of the K-x over a top LCD any day. The top LCD feels more like a vestige from the film bodies era than good design. Any product designer would get fired for putting a screen that duplicates the information you see in the back and in the viewfinder.

I wonder why Pentax doesn't release a tougher K-r body with WR (and a 18-55 WR on the kit), it would be the perfect travel camera, hands down.
11-24-2010, 03:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I would take the compactness of the K-x over a top LCD any day. The top LCD feels more like a vestige from the film bodies era than good design. Any product designer would get fired for putting a screen that duplicates the information you see in the back and in the viewfinder.

I wonder why Pentax doesn't release a tougher K-r body with WR (and a 18-55 WR on the kit), it would be the perfect travel camera, hands down.
I agree with you that that top LCD seems like a legacy of redundant duplication. Surely there are features more warranted and useful to the modern consumer. Even Windows abandoned its inbuilt email client (aka free virus replicator).

Who knows? Neither C or N seem to see a market niche for WR at that level. To be honest I think all eyes are leaning toward EVIL for "perfect travel toy".

So instead of K-r Pro maybe Pentax might consider deploying some of its W90 lessons in their upcoming baby if wanting to seriously target outdoorsy active lifestyle itinerant types?
At least it would give them something standout that existing competitors in that space don't have (yet).

The concept could also fit the O.P.s price bracket too, anyone seeking => K-x/r level IQ, featureset and usability without the bulk.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-24-2010 at 03:29 AM.