Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #1

Time to refresh the rebate.

I'm in the market for a K10D but only if the rebates are continued.

10-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hope you like your present camera

QuoteOriginally posted by SRT-202 Quote
I'll lay you 50 to 1 odds we have seen the last of the rebates. With that being said, I've been tracking prices on all DSLR's since 8/23/07 when the K10D was $679.95 after rebate and today it is $699 without rebate. That's only $20 difference. That's less than 3% difference.

Is 3% going to stop you from getting this great camera?

Regards,

Ken
10-06-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by SRT-202 Quote
The K10D is already the most highly praised and least expensive 10mp DSLR on the Market with features that many others only wish they had. And you're going to hold out for a $25 rebate?
10-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
Forum Member

If it helps at all, think about us suckers that paid $999 before the rebates and price drops for the K10D + 18-55 kit lens. And then go out and buy it and snicker at your savings. Whats a couple of dollars between a person and a good camera?

!c

10-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #5

I never understood these "rebate" and "cash-back" systems. I guess they are more common in the USA and Canada ? Never really seen stuff like that here except that NOW the store where I bought (ordered) my K100D Super has a Canon Cash-Back action.

but why don't they just give the $xx USD / €xx euro discount in the store ? Because IF I understand those rebate/cash-backs you first pay the full price and then the company (canon in this case) pays you a certain amount back
10-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cloudy Wizzard Quote
I never understood these "rebate" and "cash-back" systems. I guess they are more common in the USA and Canada ? Never really seen stuff like that here except that NOW the store where I bought (ordered) my K100D Super has a Canon Cash-Back action.

but why don't they just give the $xx USD / €xx euro discount in the store ? Because IF I understand those rebate/cash-backs you first pay the full price and then the company (canon in this case) pays you a certain amount back
voodoo marketing: They hope 1)A certain percentage won't even bother. 2) A certain percentage get rejected (bad paperwork, expired). 3) It "inspires" people to buy it.
1) and 2) are why they don't give the money back in the store.
Secondly it's like borrowed money at no interest.
But they also have to pay a 3rd party to process the claims..
apparently there is some logic to it...... but it does baffle me.
10-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
Forum Member

Well, I just received my K10D- it was $669.00 + $30 shipping (Body only). I got it from ProDigital on Ebay- I think it was a pretty good deal

10-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would look for the rebates to return around middle of this month.
thanks
barondla
10-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess as to additional reasons for rebates:

The company can raise prices by ending the rebate. This "sounds better" than increasing the base price which results in bad publicity.

Some of us can remember the Price Freeze during Nixon's presidency. Any company caught with prices down was stuck. After the freeze was lifted I noticed prices rose and rebates appeared. Companies could keep the base prices higher as a hedge against another price freeze (which has not happened since).

Anyway, today I received the rebate checks for my wife's K100D and DA 50-200 which I mailed in about 7 weeks ago. I've never had a problem with a Pentax rebate.
10-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The latest issue of Pop Photo has an ad from Beach Photo for the K100D Super with a note indicating a rebate starting 10/18/07. So it appears they're on their way.
10-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've heard a couple rumors about this new rebate starting this week. Does anyone have insight into what it's going to look like? I'm holding off a lens purchase until I see what they're offering.