Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #1

metering with SMC-M lens

has anyone used fully manual lenses on a K10 or K100 yet? when i brought mine into B&H I was told I would need to use an external light meter since those lenses can't communicate with the camera. I found you just set the aperture ring to the one you want and then enter in the shutter accordingly. the 'aperture' field in the lccd is blank since it cant read the lens. then you focus and snap the pic. kind of like how i did it on the K1000 but without a meter. anyhow, has anyone done this with a handheld meter or just bracketed? me, i tend to have a vague idea of what the shutter/aperture should be and i will probably just bracket (i'm just a hobbyist/experimenter, not pro). when I purchase my camera (still have yet to decide) I will have kit lens to learn all the auto aspects, and 50mm/1.4, 28mm/2.8 manuals.

12-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can actually get your camera to automatically gauge the light level- no external meter is needed. When using the M lens, just set the mode to M, select your desired aperture with the aperture ring, and then stop the lens down. The camera will meter the light and display a value between -3 and 3, based on how bright/dark your shot would be. Now, simply adjust your shutter speed so that the number in the viewfinder is 0 (pic correctly lit) and shoot!

If you just leave your lens and the maximum aperture (i.e. 1.4) and leave the camera in P mode, it'll assume that's the aperture size and meter accordingly.

Hope this helps! The above technique works on all cameras, but on the *ist D and the K10D, you can also press the green button for the camera to immediately set the correct shutter speed. On the DS/DL/K100/K110, use the AE-L button instead.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
You can actually get your camera to automatically gauge the light level- no external meter is needed. When using the M lens, just set the mode to M, select your desired aperture with the aperture ring, and then stop the lens down. The camera will meter the light and display a value between -3 and 3, based on how bright/dark your shot would be. Now, simply adjust your shutter speed so that the number in the viewfinder is 0 (pic correctly lit) and shoot!
OK, here is my dumb question. I'm not clear on what it means when people say "stop the lens down". It might be something I already do, and just didnt know people called it that, or if it's something new!

But good to know I can use the camera for metering.
12-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The stop down button is part of the on/off ring- you'll see a litte aperture symbol.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by potatostar Quote
I was told I would need to use an external light meter since those lenses can't communicate with the camera.
You can use K and M lenses with no adapters or restrictions in camera M mode. Since camera does not know aperture range of the lens using K and M lenses in P, Av and Tv modes is not possible and that is the only restriction.

Here is how to do it, M lenses in M mode. Two ways:

1) Holding DOF will activate meter (aperture symbol on on/off switch): while holding DOF preview rotate aperture ring or move camera around and see how reading changes (lower right corner in the viewfinder). Since lens is stopped down (that is, aperture blades closed to their preset value) image will get darker.

2) Using AE-L button sets correct shutter speed for set aperture: point at the target, hit AE-L and camera will stop down, meter, and adjust Tv. It all takes just a moment! (I use this method 99% of time.) Point at various subjects and keep hitting AE-L to see how it works.

Note: for consistency change "AE-L bttn on M expsr" in custom menu to "Tv Shift". That way hitting AE-L in M modes will work the same way for all lenses (from oldest K to modern DA): setting Tv based on Av.
12-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i.glisin Quote
You can use K and M lenses with no adapters or restrictions in camera M mode. Since camera does not know aperture range of the lens using K and M lenses in P, Av and Tv modes is not possible and that is the only restriction.
awesome! i will be referring back to this post when i get the camera in my hands!
12-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks! You may want check my other posts with relevant content:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/1192-smc-vs-sm....html#post8088

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/1267-getting-know-....html#post8785

12-12-2006, 05:53 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i.glisin Quote

Here is how to do it, M lenses in M mode. Two ways:

1) Holding DOF will activate meter (aperture symbol on on/off switch): while holding DOF preview rotate aperture ring or move camera around and see how reading changes (lower right corner in the viewfinder). Since lens is stopped down (that is, aperture blades closed to their preset value) image will get darker.

2) Using AE-L button sets correct shutter speed for set aperture: point at the target, hit AE-L and camera will stop down, meter, and adjust Tv. It all takes just a moment! (I use this method 99% of time.) Point at various subjects and keep hitting AE-L to see how it works.

Note: for consistency change "AE-L bttn on M expsr" in custom menu to "Tv Shift". That way hitting AE-L in M modes will work the same way for all lenses (from oldest K to modern DA): setting Tv based on Av.

I have just been doing some testing with an 'M' lens to ensure I am correct. This was done on a K10D.

1) If you are using the DOF lever for electronic preview with the histogram up then the above method requires you to dive into your menus and you lose the chance to check the histogram easily.

2) I am sure you meant to say the green button (next to the release) rather than the AE-L button which does zilch in this situation other than locking the exposure and does not have the custom option that you mention at the foot of your message. (the green button does)

Regards - Rod
12-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I found the same thing. It seems the green button works but can't figure out how to make the AE-L button do anything while a manual lens is installed.
regards,
Ken
12-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a minor addition to the "K" and "M" lens procedure . . .

Any of the older manual lenses will work this way. Such as the older Tokina, Tamron, Vivitar, Sigma, etc. manual lenses, (those lenses with an aperture ring and without the "A" setting on the aperture ring). (Newer manual lenses, such as the Zenitar 16/2.8, also use this procedure.)

Any lens of the "A" series can also be used in manual mode (as can any of the newer series lenses, with the exception of the DA series, which lack an aperture ring). You set the aperture of any of the newer lenses with an aperture ring to the desired aperture, (other than the "A" position), and then press the AE-L or green button to stop down, meter, and set the optimal shutter speed.

(Lenses with the "A" setting on the aperture ring allow the use of Aperture Priority mode. Fully manual lenses can also be used in Av mode, but only with the aperture wide open.)