Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #1

Vertical Grip for Ist* DS?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I found this grip on ebay and im not fully sure on if its worth it or if there is anymore companies that put out a grip for the DS?

11-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have been looking at these for a little while.
Here is a Pentax one on eBay
PENTAX BG-20 VERTICAL BATTERY GRIP f/* IST 35MM - NEW - eBay For 35mm SLR, Camera Body Accessories, Film Camera Accessories, Cameras Photo. (end time 09-Nov-07 12:01:06 AEDST)

Cheers
Troy

Edit: I must admit that that one I just linked has some sort of pin configuration that my *istDS doesn't have the contacts for on the bottom of the camera. There must be some difference even within the same model depending on where/when you bought it.
11-05-2007, 12:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Troy, the one that you listed seem to be a vertical grip for a 35mm film Ist* camera and not for the Digital SLR Pentax Ist* DS.

Pentax only made grips for two of there digital SLR and that as the Ist*D and the new K10D. While I've seen some aftermarket one for the DS/DL, and K100D, I wouldn't trust aftermarket parts.
11-05-2007, 03:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Since Pentax doesn't make a dedicated grip for the DS series, aftermarket is the only way to go. Two options are the Dicain you listed and another is Ownuser. IMO The Dicain looks more OEM and looks like it belongs on the camera. I have one and it feels great in the hands. I haven't had any problems with quality in the 9+ months I've had/used it. The vertical shutter release is great for portrait style shots and it comes with a remote tucked away in the grip that's useful as well. It does not however accept extra batteries so don't think of it as a battery grip like some people assume. You can check out more photos on their site. Everything's in Korean, but you can look at the photos. You can also contact them in English as well if you have questions or want to order.

The Ownuser is a lot bulkier - however it does accept 8 extra AA batteries for backup. But IMO, that's overkill and having two sets of rechargeables is more than enough for a shoot. I can't comment on feel and quality since I've never used it.

The Dicain seems easier to get a hold of; there should be a few users who have it. I haven't seen anyone with the Ownuser grip.

11-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
Toshi are they easy install?
11-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmorrill Quote
Toshi are they easy install?
Extremely easy. All you have to do is connect one wire from the grip to camera, then simply screw it into place using a dial; 15 seconds max.
11-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #7

Original Poster
Is there a tripod mount?

11-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #8

Also do you know roughly how much it is incl. shipping? Sorry for all the questions... but Im thinking of leaving Pentax or getting a K10D Just for the battery grip...

Thanks
11-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
I dont have the cash right now so heres the grip on ebay!
Vertical Shutter Grip of Pentax *ist DS, DL, DS2 Camera - (eBay item 130169335605 end time Nov-05-07 23:55:56 PST)
11-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmorrill Quote
Is there a tripod mount?
Yes, the grip has a tripod mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail Quote
Also do you know roughly how much it is incl. shipping? Sorry for all the questions... but Im thinking of leaving Pentax or getting a K10D Just for the battery grip...

Thanks
Note, as I stated earlier, the Dicain is not a battery grip, only a vertical shutter grip. It does not accept batteries, only the Ownuser does. I bought my Dicain for $130 shipped on eBay when I first bought it.
11-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #11

Thanks Toshi! Yeah I know its a "shutter" grip and not a battery grip! I just use the same word for both as the extra battery isnt that important to me!
Wander how it will feel compared to the XT\XTi with grip.. hmm..

Thanks