Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where the K100D?

Why is the normal pentax k100d not on the site anymore?
Pentax Imaging

11-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

They probably stopped making it, since the Super has been released

If you want a regular there should be lots available.
11-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No I have one lol
But I don't like when they discontinue things
like that all the time.
Why can't they keep it and make another model
why do they limit their customers choices like that?
11-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Money. It's how the business world works. Planned obsolescence. Things are only around for so long before they're history and the next model is rolled out. Those with the older models want the newer. A company learns this very soon or it's a goner.

11-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry not with pentax these new cameras are practically the same they change too much
too often other companies will keep selling the old ones and sell new ones which are a little
different and hold something the other camera doesn't to best fit every costumer.
11-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

What do you mean... not with Pentax? It's already happening and it's why you began this thread. There's nothing mysterious about any of this. This is how companies survive... by bringing out new models... constantly. Big deal.

11-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sorry the composition there was wrong.
I meant pentax is doing wrong by stopping products all the time.

11-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

They're not stopping anything. They are constantly moving forward through research and development. Nothing stays current for long... nadda. One year old means it's one year old. That doesn't translate into it being bad or defective but you have to face the realities of business. To stay viable you have to keep improving and changing. Companies that don't do this are soon surpassed by others. People want new... the latest. Me? I'm very happy with my k10d BUT I'm aware that there's a strong possibility that a flagship camera from Pentax will soon surpass it. So what? It's to be expected just as I know my car will be old several months after I drive it off the parking lot. Toyota have gone forward. They've change a tail light... reshaped a fender... something different to attract new buyers. It's simple business.
11-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok fine. But I still think they should of made more accesories for the k100d instead of
giving the all the spotlights to the k10d. I know its a better model and all but it's not fair .
Oh and maybe you could help me with picking a cheap lens for my k100d for events.
I now have the 18-55mm lens kit and it's good but not in low light and I need more zoom
so I can stay farther back for more candids. Also the f stop is 3.5 anything lower
with a price tag that matches?
11-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I wouldn't consider it as discontinuing the K100D.
I would just call the super the next generation

Your getting the exact same camera with 2 new features for just pennies more.
The price of the super will probably drop to the same level as the 100D shortly after the stock is sold.
11-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Why not go for the 50mm 1.4 prime? It runs about $175 and is an excellent low-light lens. Yes... it will mean that you need to physically move to frame your subject rather than having the option of zooming, but you'll have a much faster lens. To gain this sort of speed from a zoom, you'd need to spend very big bucks. I intend to pick one up after I acquire the 18-250mm. I really don't need a low light performer so my own 50mm can wait. But for you... it might be a great help. Why not do some research on it. Try the lens review folder and see what others have to say about it.

Gotta go to bed. All the best.
11-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ya but if I want those 2 features I would have 2 sell this camera or buy the next without selling this one. I would rather wait till a even better one comes out that is way worth buying.

Last edited by NYpHoToGraphEr; 11-08-2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: problem solved for now
11-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
but 50mm is too short isnt it. you gotta be pretty close to a subject to fill the frame decently
11-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
ok fine. But I still think they should of made more accesories for the k100d instead of
giving the all the spotlights to the k10d. I know its a better model and all but it's not fair .
Oh and maybe you could help me with picking a cheap lens for my k100d for events.
I now have the 18-55mm lens kit and it's good but not in low light and I need more zoom
so I can stay farther back for more candids. Also the f stop is 3.5 anything lower
with a price tag that matches?
The accessories might still come.
After all the Supers will all fit our cameras.

You should be able to find a 135mm f2.8 or faster prime for a reasonable price.
Although the affordable ones are all manual focus.
11-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
The accessories might still come.
After all the Supers will all fit our cameras.

You should be able to find a 135mm f2.8 or faster prime for a reasonable price.
Although the affordable ones are all manual focus.
what company is that?