Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax USA - A satisfying solution was found

As I have posted here, I am looking to get a -3 diopter Viewfinder Adapter M for my K-x.

I first wrote to the Pentax USA Online Store. Their response was that they had no idea what I was talking about and referred me to Pentax USA's Customer Support online query page. Took them 3 days to respond.

So, I wrote to Pentax USA's CS department via their online page as directed. Again 3 days later I got a response, which I have copied verbatim below:

Several of the K-x accessories listed in the manual, including the viewfinder diopter adapter M, are not available from Pentax in the US. These accessories are probably only sold by Pentax in Japan.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support

So, WTF? I am less annoyed with B&H's responses here after getting these responses (non-responses?) from Pentax USA.

The weirdest part is that a forum member has told me that he has been able to secure this item from Pentax Canada's parts department directly.

Is this just another instance of Pentax USA being lame?

Has anyone been able to secure items directly from Pentax in Japan?

Thanks.

Last edited by Docrwm; 06-14-2011 at 10:48 AM.
06-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Try ordering from Australia perhaps?

Here is the item at a local store:
Digital Cameras -Buy CHEAP at Digital Camera Warehouse
06-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Try ordering from Australia perhaps?

Here is the item at a local store:
Digital Cameras -Buy CHEAP at Digital Camera Warehouse
Thank you very much. I will inquire whether they will ship to the USA. I appreciate your effort in providing the link!

My favorite part of the Pentax USA email is the incredibly idiotic statement "These accessories are probably only sold by Pentax in Japan."

UPDATE: Unfortunately they state (on an obscure page) "We only ship in Australia, to Australian residents. We do not ship overseas."
06-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Tom1803 has been very helpful in ordering Pentax stuff from Amazon.co.jp for me and then shipping it to me. You might try finding it and then asking Tom to broker the deal for you.

06-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
@Tom1803 has been very helpful in ordering Pentax stuff from Amazon.co.jp for me and then shipping it to me. You might try finding it and then asking Tom to broker the deal for you.
Thank you sir. I have an email into Pentax of Canada because several have said they were able to get them from their parts department. Perhaps they'll help out a poor frustrated Yank?
06-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have an email into Pentax of Canada because several have said they were able to get them from their parts department. Perhaps they'll help out a poor frustrated Yank?
Hope you have better luck with Pentax Canada than I have sometimes. They seem as interested in customers as the rest of Pentax Corporation is. I believe they find customers to be a nuisance. I've emailed them several times about issues and then sent a more forceful email (still polite but just more forceful). Their response was that they never received the first one even though their website response form clearly indicated that the email had been sent.

Anyway, good luck.
06-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Hope you have better luck with Pentax Canada than I have sometimes. They seem as interested in customers as the rest of Pentax Corporation is. I believe they find customers to be a nuisance. I've emailed them several times about issues and then sent a more forceful email (still polite but just more forceful). Their response was that they never received the first one even though their website response form clearly indicated that the email had been sent.

Anyway, good luck.
Sorry to hear that, but several have told me they have had good luck with parts. We shall see.

06-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the nicest and strangest thing just happened. The same CS rep from Pentax USA just emailed me that Pentax Corporate found a -3 diopter unit and would like to mail it to me. I provided my mailing address and he responded that it is going into the mail today.

Wow. Just wow. Guess folks from Pentax USA do read this forum because I can't imagine how someone from Pentax USA Corporate knew about my need and concern about how to get one.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like this one is solved and I am impressed with Pentax USA's concern.

06-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

While it's good that you got a personalized solution, Pentax USA really should get their act together and just carry all those Pentax viewfinder accessories directly on their web store or something. With the number of people who wear glasses or contacts nowadays it makes sense to do so, particularly in a big market like the US.
06-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think the problem is mainly with the Pentax head office in Japan...
06-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am very happy that they took my inquiry seriously and found an answer for me. That kind of personal attention is rarer and rarer these days. Pentax USA addressed the issue rather quickly in my book, which I appreciate.

Perhaps this will prompt them to reevaluate their policy regarding such items. I would have been satisfied if they had initially said something like "While we do not maintain those on hand due to low demand, we can order it for you from Japan and that will take X days/weeks and cost $Y."
06-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Very good and very impressive. Somehow you found the one or two people in the organization that care.

I did have good customer support from the Pocketwizard people in the USA. I needed two little clips and replacement lanyards for my pair of PWs. Pocketwizard technical support told me that generally those aren't replacement parts but said that they found a couple of replacements and could sell them to me for a nominal fee. Shipping cost more than the parts but I was impressed that they did care and shipping costs aren't their fault anyway.

Isn't it interesting that we generally don't want MUCH from companies but a lot of companies can't even be bothered with providing anything.
06-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an update.

The SMC Correction Lens Adapter M -3 (bar code: 027075005402) arrived incredibly well padded today from Pentax Corporate in Colorado with a postmark of 6/14/11.

Haven't attached it yet as I had it sent to the office but I am eagerly anticipating attaching it when I get home!

Thanks Pentax!
06-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice one. You can't complain when they send it that promptly. Sounds like Pentax USA has a couple of employees that really care and they make ALL the difference.
06-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Nice one. You can't complain when they send it that promptly. Sounds like Pentax USA has a couple of employees that really care and they make ALL the difference.
Someone "at corporate" directed them to send me one is what I was told. Whoever that unnamed person "at corporate" is I wish I could thank them directly and tell them precisely what you have just said "a couple of employees that really care..... make ALL the difference."