Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #1

Control Pentax from iPhone - DSLR.Bot

Read recently about the DSLR.Bot.app for iPhone and i thought to give it a try. For those who don't know what DSLR.Bot does, then visit the following link:

DSLR.Bot

I had to build my own Infrared Transmitter:

Required:
- 2 x 5mm round 940nm IR LED
- 1 TRS connector, ie Headphone jack
- Electrical tape
- Solder

To begin with, i took the jack from a double headphone adapter like those given in airplanes during flight, disassempby it and it was straight forward how to connect the LEDs with it.

The LEDs have a long and a short pin, you connect the first LED's short to the others LED's long and vice versa. Then, these soldered to the jack's right channel and left channel. Closed the cap, hooked it on iPhone, launced DSLR.Bot, maximised iPhone's volume and everything worked fine. I could shot direct from iPhone, take Long Exposure shots and time lapse.

However the fact that the Transmitter is attached to iPhone limits the functionality when it comes to long exposure and time lapse because the iPhone needs to look the camera's IR all the time - can not hold iPhone forever

Therefore, instead of attaching the LED's to the jack, i soldered a cable and attached the LED's to the other side of it - wrapped the with electrical tape as well to avoid contact.

I was pleased with the final outcome because now i can program iPhone and go for a coffee or do some reading online while camera shots through telescope

Thank you

Attached Images

09-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well done - very neat
09-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. I always wondered if there was some good use for those airplane jacks...

I'll have to give this a try sometime.
09-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very cool. It will be exciting when the android release comes out.