Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-08-2011, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA18-250mm zoom creep: a simple solution that works...

The DA18-250mm is one of the best all-around zoom lens across all brands incl. Canikon, Oly and co. Manufactured by Tamron, the lens was sold as Tamron 18-250mm (K-mount) and Pentax DA18-250mm. Like all zoom lenses, the 18-250mm is a compromise across the range of focal length and a good one. The DA/Tamron 18-250mm is well-liked by many Pentaxians including professionals. The DA18-250mm/Tammy 18-250mm is no longer manufactured but is readily available 2nd hand in the PF Market place, at Keh and Adorama (Used) about US$350-450. It is a better option IMHO. The two known weaknesses of the DA/Tamron 18-250mm are the low light conditions and some zoom creep. Let us talk about zoom creep. The DA/Tamron 18-250mm has a manual lock to 'lock' the zoom at 18mm. At other focal lengthes, some zoom creep might appear, especially if you are bushwalking with the camera and lens dangling from the strap around your neck. How to stop the creep?

A PF member showed a nice trick that I simply repeat below. (I do not claim to have discovered the trick. I simply aim to show the solution and to repeat my own experience for the benefits fo others.)

The simplest and most effective way to stop zoom creep on the 18-250mm is to use a rubber wristband: e.g., you can buy these for $2 at charities. These rubber wristbands are the perfect size

Place the rubber wristband around the lens, on the camera side (see photo below). The friction of the rubberband along the zoom ring is enough to strop completely the creep. It is very effective and long lasting. The cost is minimum and the outcome an asset if you disklke creep. A small point: you cannot use the zoom lock but you really do not need it. Lastly do take care that the rubber band is no wider than the distance between the zom ring and the camera.

(Click on thumbnail to see the full-size photograph - the black wristband blends in with the lens colour, but a more colourful rubberband may be used as well)

I hope that the 'trick' will assist the many PF members and non-members who worry about zoom creep. A small problem IMO and a simple solution....

10-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I actually used two of the pink coloured AustraliaPost mail rubber bands (double thickness, one on top of the other), and have found that works quite well too, provided you can put up with the pink colour.;
10-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been using that same trick for another lens. Can you believe that someone actually made a product out of this?

LensBand-How It Works

Last edited by erangel; 10-08-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Changed URL description
10-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by erangel Quote
I've been using that same trick for another lens. Can you believe that someone actually made a product out of this?
LensBand-How It Works
This link and method to place the rubber band does not apply to the DA18-250mm. For the DA18-250mm, you need to place the rubber band on the camera side of the lens as per the photograph in the first post of the thread.

10-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Thank you

I've had that lens since I got the camera. The low light performance and the creep have always been annoying. I can deal with the low light performance. And now I no longer have to deal with the zoom creep. Thanks!
10-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I use the lensband on the 18-250. They are giving them away for free at the moment if you send in a photo of you using it. (If you look in the feedback/customer gallery section of the lensband site, you'll see it on my lens.) Yes, it is a $5 rubber band, but it is really silicone or whatever and won't fall apart like a real rubber band. Plus I got it for only the cost of the postage because of the promotion. I'd buy another one if I had another big zoom that was slipping...
02-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have to move it half off of the back where the picture above shows it resting, and on to the zoom ring like they show in the Lensband instructions?

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
This link and method to place the rubber band does not apply to the DA18-250mm. For the DA18-250mm, you need to place the rubber band on the camera side of the lens as per the photograph in the first post of the thread.

02-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, half-off at an angle on the back of the lens (body-side, by the little lock). If you push it all the way back, it is not touching the part that extends, and if you push it more forward it just moves with the rest of the lens. So half-on the moving part and half-on the stationary part to create friction between the two. The LensBand is big and rigid enough that it stays in place, although of course you will sometimes accidentally move it out of place with your hand and from pulling it out of your bag, etc so you have to re-adjust it. But when shooting it works fine, doesn't get it in the way really. I've had it on that lens for 4 years, haven't thought about zoom creep it since and the band itself is still just as new. (Unlike a rubber band which dries out and cracks after a while.) So definitely worth the zero I paid for it!