Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help K10D Will not Power on !!!

My K10D will not power on . I am sure I charged the batteries and when I put them in the charger the light stays on for a few seconds (indicating battery is fully charged). I tired with the battery grip , without, changed batteries , changed Lens , without lens what am i going to do ? (Rhetorical question really)

I was on a buisness trip last week and this week with work, The last time I used it was probably just before I left (maybe a week ago). I took it on the trip with me , don't remember it being abused , it is possible I suppose ??? Also it was cold in the car . The camera (in a bag) was exposed to -20 ish for maybe 10 - 15 minutes could that be enough to fry it ? Gawd tell me it ain't so ....

Has anyone got any ideas ? Chirstmas is comming and I need it !! Do you think this is fixable ?

Damn this bites !!! Anydbody else had this issue ? I am sure a trip to the shop is a 6 - 8 week visit - with Xmas comming damn may have to pick up a new body ....... that is not in the planned budget but given the choice of no camera ... (at least the bodies are considerable cheaper now)

thx............dy

Last edited by daacon; 12-09-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Added more content
12-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perhaps it is a battery issue - has to be right ? haha One of the batteries is the orignal. The camera is about 9 months old seems unlikley that it would die that quick ? My other battery appears to be charging now - I will know more in a couple of hours.
12-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The cold most likely drained your batteries, so let them charge and warm up to the proper room temp before starting it up.
12-09-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i had a battery go dead, so i suspect thats the problem. since then i carry 3 in my kit and recommend having a spare. there are replacement batteries for about $15, mine are working fine

12-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
The cold most likely drained your batteries, so let them charge and warm up to the proper room temp before starting it up.
Thanks Chris - I forgot the detail of the cold was last Tuesday evening so they are plemty warm today When I initially put both batteries in they would not charge. Now one of them appears to be charging, the other one will not. One of them is relatively new so my hope is the cold fried the original battery and the newer one is ok.

It was a panic mode for a minute because I have no spare body. Of course I wanted to take a few shots, and I know I charged both of them just before I left (a week ago today) so I was pretty sure they would not completely discharge in a week cause I have gone several weeks between charge before.

Then I remembered the trip home from airport. A 5 minute walk to the car, 10 minutes getting the snow off it and letting it run and another 5 minutes before the interior warmed up. It was pretty cold as well (-23 Celsius) and forgot about the cold can drastically affect battery life.

The fact that one will not charge and maybe it is dead (9 months old) could just be a coincidence, but I am not a big believer in coincidences

The one battery still appears to be charging should know in an hour or so. A second battery is considerable cheaper than a new body.

I looked mind you and the new K10 is now $649.00 that is $50.00 less than I paid for mine which I bought used off of this forum.

Tick Tock ... Tick Tock .... I await the charge
12-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
i had a battery go dead, so i suspect thats the problem. since then i carry 3 in my kit and recommend having a spare. there are replacement batteries for about $15, mine are working fine
I am hoping .... Wow $15.00 !!! Where the heck do you get you batteries ? Last one I bought was like $80.00 I think.
12-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't think it is the Battery

Well the battery charger went off (it looked like it was charging for about 30 minutes). Put the battery back in and no go (not a believer in coincidences ) so my only hope is both batteries are fried.

I will have to bring it in tomorrow to the local shop and try a different battery. If that does not work - then my only recourse I guess is off to the shop for a diagnosis. Bugger ... bad timing (of course if there every good timimg ?)

If anyone else has any ideas please chime in.

thx

12-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The only tip I have is to take off the grip and take any battery in the body out. Let the body sit for a while and after 30 minutes or so try the battery again only in the body. If it doesn't turn on wait for the morning to try a battery known to work. If it still doesn't work the camera got too chilly and built up condensation inside and may have taken a dive when it was turned on. When you send it in and want it back real quick call Pentax and ask for the expedite service and for the extra $40 you spend you should get it back in time for the holidays.
12-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
The only tip I have is to take off the grip and take any battery in the body out. Let the body sit for a while and after 30 minutes or so try the battery again only in the body. If it doesn't turn on wait for the morning to try a battery known to work. If it still doesn't work the camera got too chilly and built up condensation inside and may have taken a dive when it was turned on. When you send it in and want it back real quick call Pentax and ask for the expedite service and for the extra $40 you spend you should get it back in time for the holidays.
Thanks Chris this might be filed under lessons learned. There was no battery in while it was charging for about 40 minutes. It may have fried something inside. I think this is going to cost me another body as I have some photo opps comming up. I can't bank on a should be ready. I did not take the grip with me so it should be fine.

Tomorrow at the shop I should be able to least eliminate the battery as try mine in a different body and try one of theirs in my body. Aside from sticking my tongue accross the terminals how can I determine if the batter is good ? hahah

And the kicker was I never took a shot on that trip (there was no time).
12-09-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Lots of luck with it Dave,

I've hiked in colder temperatures than that without any problems, so I can't picture a few minutes of cold wrecking it.

Especially since the camera bag and anything else would have insulated it protecting it from the cold.

Unless you carried it on the plane you never know how it was treated.
12-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Lots of luck with it Dave,

I've hiked in colder temperatures than that without any problems, so I can't picture a few minutes of cold wrecking it.

Especially since the camera bag and anything else would have insulated it protecting it from the cold.

Unless you carried it on the plane you never know how it was treated.
Thanks Stu it was a carry on (Always) but it was left in the hotel room ? Possible some abuse there (not liklely) I did not think that cold temperture for that little time would affect it. Oh well not much else I can do tonight.
12-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, I suspect it could be the batteries but it seems like a short time for that to happen. I did a test with mine. Left it in the trunk a week or so ago, overnight. The temp was around -15C. It was out there for 10 hours. In the morning I turned it on and one of the batteries (an Ebay cheapo) was (and still is) dead. The Pentax battery is still working a week later and hasn't been charged. The camera is fine and working. So colder temps didn't hurt the camera.

But Chris may have a point. If you get the camera cold, you need to seal it and any other parts (lenses etc) in a ziplock bag and let it warm up totally to room temp. A lot of condensation can build up on the glass and body. Of course the small amount of air inside the body could have some moisture and cause electrical terminals to short out. I know this is a bit late for your situation, sorry. As much as we worry about dust. open the camera up (lens mount, battery door etc and let it sit overnight. You can put it face down on a table. If there is any moisture inside it should be dry by morning. Of course take the battery out. Test it tomorrow.

Good luck.
12-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is possible that your charger is dead. Maybe both batteries have finally ran down and the charger doesn't charge (even though it lights up). A friend had this with his Olympus P&S. For a true back up one really needs 2 chargers! Remember this if you want to shoot professionally. This can be tested by someone with a multimeter. Would try charging one of your batteries at work with their charger.
thanks
barondla
12-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Dave, I suspect it could be the batteries but it seems like a short time for that to happen. I did a test with mine. Left it in the trunk a week or so ago, overnight. The temp was around -15C. It was out there for 10 hours. In the morning I turned it on and one of the batteries (an Ebay cheapo) was (and still is) dead. The Pentax battery is still working a week later and hasn't been charged. The camera is fine and working. So colder temps didn't hurt the camera.

But Chris may have a point. If you get the camera cold, you need to seal it and any other parts (lenses etc) in a ziplock bag and let it warm up totally to room temp. A lot of condensation can build up on the glass and body. Of course the small amount of air inside the body could have some moisture and cause electrical terminals to short out. I know this is a bit late for your situation, sorry. As much as we worry about dust. open the camera up (lens mount, battery door etc and let it sit overnight. You can put it face down on a table. If there is any moisture inside it should be dry by morning. Of course take the battery out. Test it tomorrow.

Good luck.
Thanks Peter - well the camera has been sitting in the house since Tuesday so I would have thought any water / condenstation that was in there would have drained by now. I will let the camera sit face down overnight and check it out. Stupid really . This is my pennance for winning an iPOD Touch on that trip
12-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
It is possible that your charger is dead. Maybe both batteries have finally ran down and the charger doesn't charge (even though it lights up). A friend had this with his Olympus P&S. For a true back up one really needs 2 chargers! Remember this if you want to shoot professionally. This can be tested by someone with a multimeter. Would try charging one of your batteries at work with their charger.
thanks
barondla
Thanks barondla I can verify if it is a battery issue easily enough tomorrow at the camera shop - there is still hope a new body need not be purchased.