Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
What causes the whirring noise in LiveView?

My K-7 and K-x both make a slight whirring noise when I activate LiveView. Today I met with a friend that uses the K20D and to my surprise, I discovered that his camera was completely silent during LiveView. Looks like the implementation changed and in the process became noisier (maybe related to video capability). Anybody knows what exactly causes that noise during LV?

11-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I believe it's the SR engaged. Try turning SR off and going into LiveView.
11-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It is the sensor positioner (anti shake). Turning it off will have little effect, since the positioner is running, whether SR is activated or not.
11-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It is the sensor positioner (anti shake). Turning it off will have little effect, since the positioner is running, whether SR is activated or not.
The sensor is positioned magnetically even when the camera isn't attempting to eliminate vibrations?

11-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
But what is the difference with the K20D? Is the SR mechanism different in cameras post K20D?
11-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
The sensor is positioned magnetically even when the camera isn't attempting to eliminate vibrations?
Yup, all turning off shake reduction does is tell the camera to position the sensor in the start position and keep it there.
That's why when you turn the camera off, you can here the sensor flopping around inside the camera if you rotate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
But what is the difference with the K20D? Is the SR mechanism different in cameras post K20D?
The principle is the same, and for the purpose of this particular discussion, there isn't any difference.
11-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a K-7 and that sound is plainly audible for me during Liveview.

11-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The principle is the same, and for the purpose of this particular discussion, there isn't any difference.
The entire discussion is about why the K20D is silent during LiveView but the later cameras are not.

I don't see any satisfactory explanation yet.
11-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

The entire discussion is about why the K20D is silent during LiveView but the later cameras are not.

I don't see any satisfactory explanation yet.
While the implementation is the same from a user perspective, it is possible that the smaller bodies don't damp the noise as well as the larger chassis that was used for the K20/K10. Pentax may have changed motors to something that makes a bit more noise.
Really, you would probably need to talk to one of the designers at Pentax to get a more accurate answer, or just accept that the newer cameras make a slight whirring noise during live view and the K20 appears to be less audible..
11-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
While this thread does not provide an answer, it sure does provide fundamental insights into the relationship of people and knowledge.
11-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

While this thread does not provide an answer, it sure does provide fundamental insights into the relationship of people and knowledge.
It offers a clear answer to your first question and educated speculation as to the answer of the second. There is no need to be sour or condescending.
11-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

And into pomposity and ingratitude.
11-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Three equally sarcastic yet amusing contributors...

I have both learn't and been amused!
11-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice read here, and although the noise isn't a big deal to me with my K-x, that is some good trivia (about the SR) to read up on

I wonder if anyone has tried hacking the K10/K100D (if it is even possible) for it to get LiveView? Then let's see if the K10D/K100D is silent or makes the whirring noise too...

oh wait. pre-K20 cams all have CCD sensors... guess it's not possible.

Last edited by Alizarine; 11-22-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added info
11-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Nice read here, and although the noise isn't a big deal to me with my K-x, that is some good trivia (about the SR) to read up on

I wonder if anyone has tried hacking the K10/K100D (if it is even possible) for it to get LiveView? Then let's see if the K10D/K100D is silent or makes the whirring noise too...

oh wait. pre-K20 cams all have CCD sensors... guess it's not possible.
Well, my K-7 makes the same sound when I'm doing a long exposure, which would make sense based off of what Wheatfield was saying above, vis-a-vis the sensor being held in place by the mechanisms. Someone could hop in Tv or Manual and set exposure length long enough to listen carefully on one of those older cameras.