Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What do we want from Pentax?
Full Frame 14058.58%
Full Frame 8033.47%
Full Frame 5824.27%
APS-H 177.11%
APS-H 31.26%
APS-H 10.42%
APS-C *Only*, no FF or APS-H 239.62%
APS-C *Only*, no FF or APS-H 125.02%
APS-C *Only*, no FF or APS-H 93.77%
Continuation of the K mount 18677.82%
Continuation of the K mount 11146.44%
Continuation of the K mount 7330.54%
Discontiunation of the K mount for a shorter registration distance 104.18%
Discontiunation of the K mount for a shorter registration distance 52.09%
Discontiunation of the K mount for a shorter registration distance 20.84%
Electrical viewfinder and removal of the mirror 2811.72%
Electrical viewfinder and removal of the mirror 72.93%
Electrical viewfinder and removal of the mirror 31.26%
Optical viewfinder, continued mirror 10242.68%
Optical viewfinder, continued mirror 3414.23%
Optical viewfinder, continued mirror 218.79%
Faster / Predictive Autofocus 15464.44%
Faster / Predictive Autofocus 7531.38%
Faster / Predictive Autofocus 3815.90%
Smaller camera bodies and lenses 3012.55%
Smaller camera bodies and lenses 41.67%
Smaller camera bodies and lenses 31.26%
Super telephoto options, 400mm and above 6426.78%
Super telephoto options, 400mm and above 2410.04%
Super telephoto options, 400mm and above 156.28%
Less expensive gear 4719.67%
Less expensive gear 114.60%
Less expensive gear 104.18%
Leaf shutter 62.51%
Leaf shutter   00%
Leaf shutter 10.42%
Electronic shutter 135.44%
Electronic shutter 20.84%
Electronic shutter 20.84%
Improved video support and controls 5322.18%
Improved video support and controls 135.44%
Improved video support and controls 83.35%
Improved flash sync speed 6928.87%
Improved flash sync speed 125.02%
Improved flash sync speed 52.09%
Improved wireless flash support 3815.90%
Improved wireless flash support 114.60%
Improved wireless flash support 62.51%
Uncrippled K mount for M and K series lenses 8937.24%
Uncrippled K mount for M and K series lenses 2711.30%
Uncrippled K mount for M and K series lenses 145.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those that voted to discontinue the K mount, what do you plan to do with all your K-mount lenses?

01-03-2012, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
If they spurn us, I can almost guarantee it will be their biggest problem in the future.
Yep. I think it would be total corporate suicide. I probably shouldn't read these speculative user threads because they only make me paranoid as everyone else seems to be. Surely, Ricoh (who is no stranger to camera making) wouldn't have paid 124 million dollars for the Pentax name just to do something of epic stupidity to kill it by alienating the bulk of their customer base. I think the likely scenario is that they're going to carry on the tradition and improve on existing lines, but it takes time to get the ball rolling in that direction.

There is absolutely NO reason to change the mount. Nothing would be gained in doing so. Here's what I think would make sense for the new Pentax:

1) Introduce a Canikon killer. An improvement on the K5 with easily interchangabe focusing screens, maybe a detachable prism, (with other finder options) FF sensor, and excellent high ISO performance.
2) A full line of pro glass in all focal lengths at competitive prices to lure professionals to Pentax
3) Introduce a successor to the K-r. A subtle refinement to what made the K-x & K-r great.
4) Introduce a lower priced version of the Q.

See what happens for awhile and gauge the trends & go from there. In my opinion, there really isn't that big of a reason for a middle camera (K7) at the moment. The K7, while a very nice camera is the least important niche to cater to at the moment until they feel out the market. But I could be wrong, YMMV and all that...

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
01-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Or maybe that much less expensive, because of the modern lenses they will also sell to this customer, who would not have bought any lenses at all without a camera that supports his old ones?

I don't have any data on how this tends to pan out, do you? (Except myself, I care about uncrippled mount quite a lot, and having it certainly wouldn't have stopped me from buying the DA*50-135 last year, or the FA31 and FA77 the year before that.)

Same question, is this just something you think? I believe (also without any data to back it up) that they gain at least as much as they lose. Showing you care about your existing customers is never a bad thing in itself.

Your think as good as mine here I'm afraid.
There are plenty of folks here that still hold on to *ist; K200; K10 as 'THEIR BEST' and you still think they'd support the next new camera or buy new lenses?
You can check out the K5 sub-forum to find many of them.
A lot more Canikony fanboys on many other forums would just buy the latest and "greatest" (and the companies make money) that comes out rather than debate over LPMM; Moire; AA filter; and whatnot that happens here.
An expanded user base with a new mount will see more of such newer generation 'fanboyish' ppl support Pentax monetarily, be it buying the body only or some buying of Pentax lenses together with some of their M-mount; EOS; etc

Anyway, I did not suggest NO K-mount support. A K-mount adapter would certainly be good and ease the pain as well as a logical step.
So how does a K-mount only new MILC camera benefit Pentax?
Ppl might as well choose NEX, V1, m4/3 or NX cameras since nothing else can be mounted on such a Pentax K-mount MILC.

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
It's interesting, I thought there would be a lot more interest in improved wireless flash support, because compared to Canon, and especially Nikon, the Pentax flash control system is anemic. I gave it two votes, and one to higher flash sync speed.

For those who have never messed around with it, Pentax supports channels as it is now, but not zones. Zones allow you to control multiple lights independently of one another. So you could control a key light, a background light, a fill light, and even a hair light all from the back of the camera. If the background has it's own zone for example, and you see it's too dark, you can bump it up from the camera position without affecting the key light. Channels are only useful for shooting events with other photographers when you don't want your flash to be accidentally triggered by another flash going off. There's no way to trigger multiple channels at once.

This tells me that most Pentax enthusiasts (assuming the initial results are representative) either shoot manual flash, one-light setups, or don't use flash much at all. As popular as "Strobist" lighting has become, it looks like it hasn't caught on here yet.
Agreed. I missed out this option when I choose "Max flash sync speed" instead.
Looking at the demographics and type of photography done here and even on my local Pentax forum, I think 'strobing' has not caught on and much a strong point for Pentax.
Perhaps those interested in it did consider the systems and options and moved to Nikon/Canon right from the start.
01-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #49

I do not know what would be better if Pentax change the K-moun to something else?
Why could not Pentax make a mirrorless frame and then an adapter for K-mount like Sony do for A-mount/NEX?
It is really expensive to construct a complete range of new lenses, rather construct in first place an adapter and some most important lenses, I'm sure that the Sony way is the right.

01-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
3 votes for discontinuing K mount. It's time to move on. I'd like to see what they can do without the burden of backward compatibility.
And that would effectively kill off a large portion of pentaxes' cut of the market share. Changing the lens mount seriously cramped hasselblads' style, many pros went to Phasemiya or the Sinar Hy-6 - and the pentax 645D, and let us not forget what happened when Canon switched from FD to EF.

Those who forget the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them. And the current Digital SLR camera market there isn't much room for mistakes - it is too cutthroat, even Canon couldn't pull off that kind of a stunt without having even more people switch to Nikon.
01-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #51
Pentaxian

If they spurn us, the negative publicity will be their biggest problem in the future.
Why would they? K-mount will be Pentax biggest market the next 10 years, but if they don't evolve it will be the only thing they have. Pentax small sensor P&S will probaby have no real future as smartphones will replace most of that market.
P&S with bigget sensors (with fixed or interchangable lens) is probably a market that will grow considerable in the future and something Pentax want to be part of.

You don't think Pentax negative publicity enough already as being "a brand without furure", that get sold off every few years, and the only new thing Pentax can come up with are new colors, and a mirrorless system that no one wants.
01-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another thing would be pentax producing a camera without an AA filter... Leica has done well with the FF M9, I think it is time we got rid of the damn things - or at least provide the option for the user to remove it.

01-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I'd like to see an AF digital version of the Pentax LX (or a class like that)
01-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I'd like to see an AF digital version of the Pentax LX (or a class like that)
+1 especially if it had a 24Mp monochrome sensor, user removable AA filter, interchangeable viewfinders and a non-crippled KAF-mount.
01-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
+1 especially if it had a 24Mp monochrome sensor, user removable AA filter, interchangeable viewfinders and a non-crippled KAF-mount.
This type of specifycation is probably more likely to come as a GXR-module with M-mount.
01-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
This type of specifycation is probably more likely to come as a GXR-module with M-mount.
don't you mean k mount?
01-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
don't you mean k mount?
No, with K-mount there will not be enough users available for making this possible. With M-mount it is possible to adapt most RF and SLR mounts, so it will be available in a much larger market.
01-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Why would they? K-mount will be Pentax biggest market the next 10 years, but if they don't evolve it will be the only thing they have.
Why would they need to evolve away from the K mount? Things can be added to the K mount without much trouble. There's plenty of space on the mount for more pins.
01-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #59

I think a mirrorless or mirrored camera with a new mount/registration distance would be fine, so long as they produce an affordable adapter that preserves all of the functions currently found in my K mount camera.
01-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Why would they need to evolve away from the K mount? Things can be added to the K mount without much trouble. There's plenty of space on the mount for more pins.
They should not evolve away from K-mount, but to evolve as a company by offer more different products. K-mount cameras will still be one of them.
Putting all eggs in one basket can be a dangerous thing.

I don't see why any new users looking for mirrorless cameras should be burdened by 35+ years of backward compatibility of K-mount, when they might find some other type of camera that fit them better without it. It's just not possible to optimize K-mount for all types of cameras.
Why should anyone wanting a mirrorless camera like Sony Nex7 have to get a Sony A77?

If Pentax can't offer many different types of cameras users will look somewhere else for them.