Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 09:33 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Forum Member

My Pentax K-X DSLR DIY AC/DC PSU (K-AC86)

Hi Guys...

I thought I'd share my 5 minute DIY project.

After having seen how expensive the Pentax K-AC86 PSU cost I thought I would do my own.

I found out the genuine PSU was 6.5v 3A so figured I'd get something close to this. I picked up a PSU from my CCTV dept at work. Regulated 5v 2.6A. Seeing I was using rechargables it would be OK. If anything less chance of blowing up my camera. Cost: Nothing. I then got from eBay 2 x AAA to AA converters. Cost: £2.50. I also got a CCTV female DC Pigtail. Again from eBay. Cost: £1.00.

The PSU has a male DC central positive pin which was 2.1mm. It is important to make sure it will fit your pigtail (also 2.1mm). I positioned the Converters into the battery housing making note where I'd drill the holes to feed the cables through. I drilled the holes. I knocked out the contact pins and fed the cables through the ends and stripped them and jammed the bare cables back with the contact pins on the Converters.

It fitted the battery housing nicely. Note: The positive terminal is at the top and the negative at the bottom. Ensure you connect the polarity of the wires correctly. Plug the PSU into the mains and switch on the camera. Note the battery level indicator (top right) is green! It works and it cost me peanuts.

Now I can do some astrophotography with less worry.

Jacques.

Btw... if you do this and you mess up your camera I take no responsibility for your mess - You can easily fry your camera if you use the wrong PSU and mess up the cabling.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
02-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brave photographer!
02-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Meh... May be a bit nuts I guess but hey... £3.50 vs £110.00
02-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I LOVE hardware hacks like this! Good going.

02-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Nice Job!
02-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #6

If it starts to smoke you did it wrong . . .
02-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing. Very cool.

02-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good job. I like it.
11-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #9

Crossing my fingers that I get the polarity correct!

I just ordered everything off of eBay for under $15... I was rather bummed when I couldn't find the K-AC84 anywhere (and was shocked at how much it used to cost!).

I really do appreciate the instructions!
11-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Brave photographer!
Not really. I suggested this mod months ago in the K-r forum, where it is even simpler as the use of AA batteries requires a carrier (less than US$10 via ebay). Attach the power supply to the carrier and slide it into the camera - it is impossible to insert it backwards.

The KEY to this is using a regulated DC supply with the proper voltage and sufficient amperage. The supply can output greater amperage, but not greater voltage. If you have an older broken portable CD player that runs off 4 AA batteries, the odds are very good that you have an appropriate AC to regulated DC power supply gathering dust.

I get such good life from my eneloop batteries, I haven't bothered making an AC adapter for my camera yet. The only use I would have for such might be time lapse photography where I might be taking many hundreds of photos in one session and cannot disturb the camera to change batteries.
11-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #11

Right, had a good look at that message and downloaded it. It gave me all the info I needed to make one myself. I have now done it and tried it out a few minutes ago!!

Couldn't purchase the AAA to AA adapters in New Zealand so I made a couple of dummy batteries using 6mmj jack plug females with a brass slug soldered into the opening and the outer plastic tube cut down in length. The result is no exhibition but it works! I'm a bit embarrased about the look of it so I won't show a picture!. Cost, nothing, all parts were taken from my "Bits For Cannibalisation" drawer!

Thanks everyone for their help.

Still looking for a proper bought one so if anyone knows of a source I'd like to hear of it.
03-21-2014, 12:52 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well... After two years since I did this hack it all works still very well. Great for my Astrophotography and long exposures.

Getting a K-50 now but will keep my KX for Astrophotography. Glad people found my hack fun and hope it helped some take courage in being creative.
08-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #13

Hi,
I found your thread and I think it will help me with my problem. I have been having the biggest headache with my kx not turning on regardless the battery I use. Im hoping if I upgrade the firmware that will solve my battery issue. But to do so I need a stable power source so it doesn't die during the update and screw me. In your hack you state "Ensure you connect the polarity of the wires correctly." How do I make sure of that?

Thanks.
09-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #14

I've been using my old Pentax K-x for astrophotography hmm .. I might build on this

Hi,

Would the K-x tolerate 7.2v ? I would like to take this idea that uses AAA -> AA battery adapters and build an external LiPo battery pack. The closest voltage is 7.2v. I