Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Also, it will allow you to pee much further!

04-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
It's been answered many, many, many times, but the biggest reasons are...

1) More DOF control with available lenses (Ex: 50mm f/2 on FF == about 33mm f/1.2 on aps-c)
2) Better noise/ISO performance
3) Usually better AF/metering (comes with the better bodies, not tied to the sensor size)
4) Bigger VF

Most people who don't care about FF don't care because #'s 1-4 above are 'good enough' with their existing aps-c bodies, or because they would like those areas improved but the cost of FF doesn't make the improvements worth it to them.

I knew about #1, on #2 I have not been able to complain much about my K5, I use MF alot, but haven't really had AF problems, plus I shoot straight out in manual and have gotten a good feel for what aperature/shutter speed/iso to select (other than with one lens, so I got rid of it), and on #4 coming from the Kx, and before that P&S cameras never had any complaints.

Maybe I would need to grab a full frame camera and mess around with it some to see how it was, but I let someone with a Nikon D700 (and a Mamiya 6x7) mess with it last anime convention, and she loved it. Said the K5 was better than her D700 after I showed her how to use it. The IQ blew her away too.

So, does this mean that having never even picked up a full frame camera that I don't knwo what I am missing? Is there that big of a difference? Any suggestion of what to pick up for a comparison?

Wow, this one too me a long time to reply to. Now to read the replies sicne the one I quoted! Darn job in the way of replying here...
04-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The other thing to mention re' DOF and FF is that usually an 'Standard' F/2 lens is sharper wide open than an 'Wide-Angle' F/1.2 (if you can find one).

Image quality is always a big issue and when a cheap 50mm F2 lens (on FF) can do more than an expensive 31mm F/1.8 or 30mm F/1.4 (on APS-C) there must be some benefits to the format.

APS-C was obviously a compromise format from when sensor manufacture was in it's infancy and we shouldn't have to live with that decision forever but it is still good to have options regardless.

My main desire apart from being able to use longer focal length wide-angles is LESS NOISE. I like to PP pretty hard sometimes and would like a lower noise floor frankly.
04-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
So that my lenses give me the same as they used to (FOV & DOF) etc etc.

04-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

And it's a scientific fact that FF users get laid more. Don't question it, it's science.
04-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thread title is a good question.
I agree with kerrowdown's more succinct summary
In my case it has, with 25 years hobby in 35mm with Pentax, never been "comfortable" with aps-c.
I never purchased a DA lens, always waiting.
We see "35mm equivalent" focal lengths etc which is misleading.

35 mm has been like a standard operating system. I suppose it will be succeeded by a proliferation of standards as we see in other products.
Micro 4/3, which I am looking at, seems to be well thought out -and "half" of a 35mm.
Maybe we will see in the smaller formats, camera pp to better replicate the natural dof which seems to be a factor for those preferring 35mm format & 50mm lenses.
04-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, basically, the big reasons have to do with narrow depth of field with wide angles. As JSherman will tell you, there is no APS-C equivalent of a 35 f1.4 (or in Pentax land, the FA 31 limited) on full frame. They also have nice viewfinders.

Most of the other things associated with full frame really have more to do with high end cameras -- fast auto focus, fast frames per second, etc. In fact, the K5 does more fps than the D800.

For most people APS-C or micro four thirds is more than adaquate. For most people who desire these cameras, it is a want, not a need. And that's OK.

04-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Why FF, well just look at the FA limited focal lengths and speeds. Do we need any other reason? I don't. (although there are plenty of other good reasons).
04-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #24

I've shot full-frame Canon since the original 1Ds and FF images just look different to me at least for the studio and portrait commercial work I do. Sounds dumb I know. Most likely the depth of field difference. Kind of like medium format compared to 35mm. The larger VF is really nice as well, although my K-5 has by far the most FF-like finder I've used. ISO noise is generally less as well, although not sure if that's as true as it used to be with better noise reduction.

Last edited by wv76x; 04-19-2012 at 04:47 PM.
04-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the same reason middle age men buy sport cars.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-19-2012 at 04:53 PM.
04-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
For the same reason middle age men buy sport cars.
Cute, but most of the FF (or larger) dSLRs I've seen in the wild have been held by young men and women. I've seen just a couple carried by older guys, and they were reporters for local newspapers. I can't correlate film FF usage with age+gender either. But Leica buyers, hmmm...
04-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Speed, Speed, And More Speed. If you ever investigate the speed performance of the D3S you will quickly see why FF is so wanted... (sorry @Ash, you ain't doing on a cropped what the D3S does)
Well D3s does everything fast not because it's full frame...
04-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I will second those, who say that FF is mostly about shallow DOF.

I've never enjoyed my FA 31mm on APS-C as I enjoy 50mm on FF.

And FF viewfinder is really awesome.
04-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
For me it is the big bright OVF first and foremost. DOF possibilities are nice but not as big a deal for me. better wide angle possibilities also appeal to me but there has been big improvement in that area since i bought my ds and DA14. (though to be able to shoot some of my old wide glass as wide would be nice)
I have to say that this appeals to me, too. Every now and then I pick up my old K2DMD and, aside from the tactile experience, it's the brightness and size of the viewfinder that stands out. It probably makes most difference to someone with a similar length of experience looking at the world as me but, from what I hear, the difference just continues to increase with time. I also have a pile of M42 and K-mount glass, including Limiteds and FA*s that I'd like to use to their full capability ("crippled" mount or not, as the case may be).
04-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I understand all the reason.
but personally I think aps-c is fine for majority of us.
I bet if a person take a picture by using k-5, people would not know if it is from full-frame or aps-c camera.
A person can definately make a living by using aps-c camera. In fact, I see a lot of them.

In my opinion, full frame camera is more like a pursue than necessity. If you have money, then go for it. If not, you are still fine with aps-c.

Last edited by liukaitc; 04-20-2012 at 02:08 PM.