Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2008, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #1

"Card locked" problem on ist DS

I am using a Sandisk Ultra2 1gig card on my DS. When I take the card out to transfer my pictures on my computer, there is no problem. But when I put it back on, 50% of the time I get a note that says card locked although it is not. I have to take it out and put back again until it can read the card properly. I experience the same problem with other cards also. Has anyone had the same problem? If so how did you fix it?

It seems to be like a small malfunctioning in the card chamber. the spring that reads if the card is switched to lock might not be working properly. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
--
Ahmet
*ist-anbul

01-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Inactive Account

There is no problem there actually

On the memory card, You'll find a tiny switch,
Just push this tiny switch to the "Unlock" position
(On the contrary to the word "Lock" that should apear near the switch)
Only than slide the card into the camera.

Don't worry, Everything is alright with your card,
happens to me hundreds of times
01-20-2008, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
I wish the problem was that easy, unfortunately the switch is on unluck position, But thank you anyway
01-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It is probably the fault of the card. If you purchased it from a local or otherwise legitimate retailer you should be able to return it for a replacement. If you bought it off Ebay for very cheap - like many, many people - you most likely have a cheap and defective knock-off card and will have difficulties in achieving a replacement or refund.

01-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have all soorts of troubles with my Sandisk card on all sort of mobile devises PDAs to cameras. I send it for replacement and got another one from SunDisk with no good luck.
I finally retired it to a static use in my GPS system, locked with maps for good.
Maybe it is just my bad luck, but I am trying to stay away from SunDisk for a last few years because of that.
01-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Ahilgaz,

You stated the problem is with multiple cards, the problem is intermittent, and the card's switch is unlocked. I think you may have just what you suggested, the switch in the camera that detects the notch in the card is intermittent. When I had my K110D apart I did not look at that switch, but I was not impressed with the way the door open switch operates. That switch is on the circuit board. Which means:

The door slides on the case. The case mounts on the chassis. The chassis supports the board. The board supports the switch. You can visualize there is a lot of potential for miss-alignment! Fortunately I have not heard of Pentax Owners having any problems with door switches, perhaps I'm overly worried. My K110D switch only failed because I broke it when I opened the case.

Are your cards different brands? If they are all the same and bought together you might find someone (or a store) who can try them in another camera. It is conceivable that you have a bad batch. If they are multiple brands then it would be unlikely the cards are bad.

The only thing I can think of to try on your camera itself is blowing out the memory slot with air. Perhaps there is something interfering with the protect switch that you could dislodge.
03-21-2013, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
dme

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear Leo

In a response above that you wrote back in 2008 you mentioned in passing accidentally breaking the "Card Locked" detector switch when you opened up a K110D.

I have recently bought a second-hand K110D on e-Bay whose body and screws have marks, and a visible repair, that indicate that a previous owner opened it up.

This camera displays the "Card Locked" message with an unlocked card.

However, the camera is still able to read the card, since I can see its contents when I connect the camera to a PC.

So I wondered if you could share how you fixed your problem?

Best regards

David Edwards
(Happy owner of a K-x and a GX20, but sadly suffering from an LBA that has now morphed into CBA)