Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
$799 Refurb K-5 from Prodigital2000 on eBay - Warranty Concerns

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, as it turns out, when Carman's/prodigital2000 puts something in their ebay listing, you should believe it. See post #28

Just a heads up for anyone else considering this - prodigital2000 on eBay (an authorized Pentax Dealer from what i understand), and they have a factory-refurbished K-5 for $799, with free shipping to the US.

WAIT! Don't open that tab!

According to the listing, it has a "FULL PENTAX WARRANTY", then later it says "1 Year Limited International Warranty". I called Pentax to make sure I could apply a US extended warranty to this camera, and the guy flat-out said no.

According to Pentax USA, any factory refurb cameras have a red dot on the bottom of the box, and carry a 90 day warranty. According to him, it would also not be eligible for the extended warranty either. I've contacted the seller, and I've read on here anecdotally that refurbs are eligible for the extended warranty, but I got it directly from the horse's mouth.

So, if you want to go for it, go ahead, but be aware that you could be facing a fight for any warranty needs you might have down the road.

Last edited by Ryan Trevisol; 06-29-2012 at 08:40 AM.
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So Pentax are saying that they do a shitty job of refurbishing cameras? That sure is welcome news...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know. I'd really like to believe that this is a mistake, that he wasn't aware of pentax Canada's policies, or whatever, but I just can't risk it on my only camera.
06-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #4

Here is a link that helps clear up the confusing refurbished meaning and language. I was curious about the shortened warranty length and apparently most, including Pentax, are shortened, which is mentioned in the Finally Bear in Mind paragraph at the end, so while yes the warranty is more brief, other companies do the same. I don't know if there is an extended warranty, such as Amazon's Four Square that can be applied. I think that would depend upon the retailer, but my guess would be that it would have to be an independent warranty and would only be as good as that party is. I hope this is of some use:
Buying Refurbished Electronics – Is it Worth the Risk? | Copyright Licensing

Last edited by fstop; 06-26-2012 at 04:15 PM.
06-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So Pentax are saying that they do a shitty job of refurbishing cameras? That sure is welcome news...
This is the standard refurb warranty from just about anyplace, cameras or not.

Many people also incorrectly claim some warranty coverage in the marketplace.
06-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

OP what would you expect with a re-furbished camera? Re-furbished doesn't mean new. If you want the usual warranty, quit penny pinching and buy a new set. It's not difficult and it will save you all the angst. I don't see why a camera sold by prodigital2000 which I understand is Canadian outfit should even be subject to US warranty, and I would think it would be silly for Pentax USA to bear the cost for handling warranty claims for cameras that were not sold thru it's channels.
06-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I believe if the buyer is from Canada, the same 2-year warranty may apply since Prodigital2000 is an authorized dealer...true? So, what is the "buyers beware" about. don't know?

06-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
[acrimonious rant]
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
So, what is the "buyers beware" about. don't know?
You all missed my point. I was not taking issue with Pentax's refurb warranty length. That's fine, and they can guarantee it for however long they want. My issue is that ProDigital2000 is touting (in bold 18 point font) a full 1-year Pentax International Warranty, when a Pentax USA rep has clearly stated they will not honor this. I'm going to buy the camera from Adorama now. I'm not griping. It's a steal at $899. But if I could get it for $100 cheaper with the same warranty, I'd be stupid not to.

I was just looking out for any fellow forumites from the US who might buy this camera expecting a full 1-year warranty and only get 90 days. IMO the listing is inaccurate, and they're obviously enticing buyers from the states with free international shipping (the k-5 is exempt from duty) and calling it an international warranty. I didn't want anyone to get misled.

Here's the listing if you want to see it: REFURBISHED Pentax K-5 DSLR Camera Body Only 16MP 1080p - FULL PENTAX WARRANTY 27075176546 | eBay

And no, I'm not deluded, spoiled, or unreasonable to believe that Pentax could offer a 1-year warranty on a refurb product. My 5-year old refurbished iMac is still running strong. It (like my refurb Dell laptop before that) came with a full 1-year warranty, and in month 10, I was able to buy the Applecare warranty that extended it to 3. In year 3, Apple replaced the motherboard because of a bad USB port. It's not unheard of for a company to fully back it's refurbished products.

But still, I don't care about the warranty being short, I care about someone getting taken.
06-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

Seems somewhat standard. I bought a refurb 5D Mark II directly from Canon a while back, and they only honor a 90 day warranty.
06-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

You can buy warranties from ebay on a lot of stuff now, even old used lenses. Don't know what happens when you go to make a claim, but you can buy it at least...
06-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the confusion continues - got this response back from prodigital2000:
QuoteQuote:
Hello,
Thanks for your interest.
The camera comes with a one year international warranty.
This means if you had a warranty problem you could send it to Pentax USA in the covered year and they would take care of it for you.
It is their regular manufacturer's warranty.
Thanks again
Personally, the warranty is important to me, and I'm not much of a gambler, so I think I'll pass. I wonder if there's anyone who has used their 1-year warranty on a refurb from Prodigital2000?
06-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Just a heads up for anyone else considering this - prodigital2000 on eBay (an authorized Pentax Dealer from what i understand), and they have a factory-refurbished K-5 for $799, with free shipping to the US.

WAIT! Don't open that tab!

According to the listing, it has a "FULL PENTAX WARRANTY", then later it says "1 Year Limited International Warranty". I called Pentax to make sure I could apply a US extended warranty to this camera, and the guy flat-out said no.

According to Pentax USA, any factory refurb cameras have a red dot on the bottom of the box, and carry a 90 day warranty. According to him, it would also not be eligible for the extended warranty either. I've contacted the seller, and I've read on here anecdotally that refurbs are eligible for the extended warranty, but I got it directly from the horse's mouth.

So, if you want to go for it, go ahead, but be aware that you could be facing a fight for any warranty needs you might have down the road.
Pro Digital is a Canadian Authorized retailer. the answer you got was from Pentax US. In Canada it may well come with the full 2 year canadian warranty
So for any canadian, contact Pentax Canada to be sure, but they have different warranty policies than the US
06-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

aaargh why did you post this, now I'm thinking I should grab that deal
06-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Pro Digital is a Canadian Authorized retailer. the answer you got was from Pentax US. In Canada it may well come with the full 2 year canadian warranty
So for any canadian, contact Pentax Canada to be sure, but they have different warranty policies than the US
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
aaargh why did you post this, now I'm thinking I should grab that deal
I know!!!
06-27-2012, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
I know!!!
I'm actually in process of selling off a bunch of stuff I just don't use enough on CL locally to fund a few lenses I want (DA50 1.8, FA77....) I can't go spending on this without losing out on getting the FA77