Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PENTAX Marketing: It's good to be FEARLESS

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Heie,

That is what I was thinking when I started this thread - let the real Pentaxians come up with the great marketing ideas. We know the gear. We're passionate about it. We know its strengths and its weaknesses like no one else.

I'd love to see a competition here, with some suitable prizes, for just what you said - original photographs with "artwork" that is designed to be the next killer marketing move for Pentax.
So let's do it. Right here, right now.
  • Rules:
    • Using PENTAX Weather Sealed DSLR's (either using them, of them, or a combination of the two), submit a marketing image that captures the theme It's good to be FEARLESS as best you can.
I'll start it off.

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 09-22-2012 at 10:32 AM.
09-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I saw a thread a while back where a guy was quickly dunking his camera underwater (in a swimming pool) (after pre-focusing of course) and taking pictures of the swimmers.

I would have a commercial where the guy says nothing but is dressed in full professional photography gear, vest, two bodies, and just have 'the look'. Don't say anything at all except some light music in the background. He would be standing by a swimming pool, maybe photographing high divers.

Then have him kneel down, recreate that shot using the K-5's 7fps mode which you can hear firing in the back....then show 'actual images' afterwards.

At the end of the 20-30 second near silent commercial put up a black screen with bold RED Pentax logo and have a narrator in a booming voice say "Pentax. Be fearless"
09-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have several ideas.

Have a photography team hire a small boat to take them out to the break at Teahupoo Tahiti when its REALLY cranking hard. You have to take a boat out there. Paint the boat with the Pentax logo and go park out there right off the shoulder of the break and take photos.

If that is not a demanding environment, nothing is.

Film the whole thing and make a commercial about it. It would appeal to people's visual senses, it would give pentax brand a 'cool factor', and it would also demonstrate the weather resistance, and it would also appeal to those people with money to spend on cameras.

More ideas coming later.
09-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Another idea would be to have a rock climber climb the side of a steep face with a small backpack on. Show him going up to the top. Then atop a small perched peak with him all alone, show him up there with Pentax gear shooting the scenes. Narrator: Pentax, for the adventurous who need adventurous gear.

09-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Here's one more before I go...

Have an older (60's) couple walking around the streets of some picturesque little Italian village flossing some camera gear taking pictures.

Then the narrator comes on and says, 'Pentax, we're not new. We're old. But we are back and better than ever'

Appeal: to the baby boomer generation who grew up when Pentax RULED the roost. It would appreal to older people with money. It would be a flashback and a flashforward all at the same time.
09-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
While some great ideas Alamo (and when I am back in Germany I will personally try to create the rock climbing one ), you've missed entirely my intent behind this thread...

Two more that I made:

Name:  Fearless2.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  102.8 KB

Name:  Fearless3.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  74.1 KB

I'm having a lot of fun doing this, and they are only taking me 5-10 minutes each. The hardest part is just figuring out where to put the font and what type to use

Give it a try!

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 09-22-2012 at 12:34 PM.
09-22-2012, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

09-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've posted this before somewhere in PF too. But I guess it's worth posting again, lol.

Just remove all beer-connected imagery in this ad and you have one working for Pentax, this goes, I think, along the lines of the Japanese K-30 ad.

I'll see if I can make some "fearless" image posts too....
09-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whoa! Cool topic and really nice and spectacular ideas!

Mine is less spectacular but may appeal to a lot of people. A commercial situated at an amusement park. Off course, the usual (large) amount of dads using DSLRs photografing their kids... Until rain starts pooring and everybody scurries away covering up their expensive gear, leaving one brave dad yielding a Pentax carrying on, without even noticing, as if nothing's happening.
09-28-2012, 04:24 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Whoa! Cool topic and really nice and spectacular ideas!

Mine is less spectacular but may appeal to a lot of people. A commercial situated at an amusement park. Off course, the usual (large) amount of dads using DSLRs photografing their kids... Until rain starts pooring and everybody scurries away covering up their expensive gear, leaving one brave dad yielding a Pentax carrying on, without even noticing, as if nothing's happening.
Amusement park would be good. There are always those kids at the bottom of the log ride/flume waiting for the car to come by and soak them. Our Pentaxian could be there waiting to get soaked too.
09-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Subbing to this! I just make some of my own if we buy the camera.
09-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Forum Member

How about a sister theme to the 'Fearless' campaign...'Location, Location, Location'. Someone at the beach boogie-boarding, and our Pentaxian right there alongside in the water, off-road competitions, and our guy/gal right there in the mud alongside the ATVs...etc
09-18-2013, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Late to support this thread, but here's mine.

K30+DA18-55 WR

Ok.
I admit that I'm bonkers to do this and its beyond what WR is supposed to cover.
Won't advise anyone to use their camera this way.

But I'm sure no other brand has this in a dslr or MILC and in a rather cheap package.
09-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Ok. I admit that I'm bonkers to do this and its beyond what WR is supposed to cover.
Uhmmmmm - Wow! Just ...... Wow!
09-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cool ideas! This was a fun thread to read. A lot of the ideas here seem better suited to the WG series vs a current DSLR though.

I'd imagine something that has a camera body surrounded by every single Pentax/Takumar/Asahi lens ever made that can be mounted here.

"Choice is a good thing."

"Can't have too much of a good thing."