Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #1

liney ferrets with k110d?

I recently got a pentax k110d for christmas, and am a bit of a newbie to the dslr world. I was using SCN - 'pet mode' to capture my boyfriend's ferrets running around, and one of the pictures (this happened earlier in a different situation but i no longer have the pictures) came out as having grainy lines across it, at the top and at the level of the whiskers especially.
I dont know if this is a high iso related phenomenon or something i was doing wrong?
the ferrets were playing in a low-med light condition with a dark hallway behind them, but this is the only picture in which the lines showed.
like i said im very new, heres a link to an example,
thank you!

01-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Use...

I can barely see the banding you are describing. Can you post the exif data? (that's the stuff about shutter speed, iso, aperture etc) don't know photobucket, but most sites give you that stuff. Look for either exif data or photo data or some such. If I were to say, I think that maybe the ISO is too high for the aperature, but I don't know for certain. Like I said I can barely see the banding. It was only after careful squinting in the areas you mentioned that I saw it at all. BTW it's a great photo!
Also, you've posted this in the wrong place. So that may be why you're not getting many responses. It should be in the forum above this "DSLR discussion" not your fault I know. Just thought I'd let you know.

NaCl(we'll get it straightened out one way or another)H2O
01-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

her exif shows
38mm
1/180 sec.
F/5.6
ISO 800
-2 EV compensation
pettern metering

(btw, u need to upgrade your firmware...)

only thing I Can think of..too fast a shutter..
and..dunno why it's @ -2 EV

i really cant think now......long day
01-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm no expert, but funny things can happen when you underexpose. It shows -2EV in your exif. (NaClH20: you can download an exif reader plug-in such that if you right-click on an image and select "Properties" it shows the exif data if it exists) Normally you get overall noise with underexposure, but I suppose it could turn up as banding. At any rate, if you've accidentally dialed in -2EV, you'll want to change that. I did the same when I first got my DL, except +2EV - couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was getting such overexposed images! If the bands show up consistently in the same location, though, there might be a problem - keep your examples in case you have to return the camera or have it serviced. I hope you get it figured out soon! Cute picture, by the way. Lots of character.

Julie

01-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i think thats just built in windows (exif data)....never had to DL any readers...

just right click, select properties, then if nothing..click on advanced...
01-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jon, when I right click and select properties all I get is the photo size url etc. No exif, no "advanced" just the "general". I'm running XP pro. Tried to dl a reader and that didn't work either.

NaCl(scratches head)H2O
01-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
i think thats just built in windows (exif data)....never had to DL any readers...

just right click, select properties, then if nothing..click on advanced...
Hm, interesting - I don't recall any advanced option before I downloaded the plugin, but that probably doesn't mean anything! Seems like you see more exif than I do, too - you mentioned Use.. needs to update firmware, I don't see that info.

Julie

01-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Jon, when I right click and select properties all I get is the photo size url etc. No exif, no "advanced" just the "general". I'm running XP pro. Tried to dl a reader and that didn't work either.
I use XP (home ed.) and was going to ask what reader you tried, but then I realised that I have no clue what reader I've got, and no idea how to find out. Must be buried in some Firefox folder someplace, durned if I know where. Big help, aren't I?

Julie
01-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Camera Make: PENTAX Corporation
Camera Model: PENTAX K110D
Image Date: 2006:12:31 11:14:26
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 38.0mm (35mm equivalent: 57mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0056 s (1/180)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 800
Exposure Bias: -2.00
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure Mode: Manual

this is what my firefox plugin show me..

seems a weird result.. not something the camera would do on its own..

the minus ev when in flash mode turns down the flash power.. which is why the animal has just its face barely flash lit and the background is so dark.. i quite like it to be honest.. he he

trog

ps.. pet mode.. i love it.. he he

Last edited by trog100; 01-02-2007 at 06:40 PM.
01-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Julie. Just downloaded exifread. It seemed to install OK. Still am not seeing the exif tho. Poops! Maybe it's because I'm using IE instead of firefox? Unfortunately there are several things that I use that work well in IE but only sorta kinda work in firefox so I'm stuck with IE. But it isn't a biggie, I will just have to live with the fact that I'm crippled when it comes to reading exif. I can still read my own tho and that's all that I really care about.

NaCl(it's baffling tho)H2O +
01-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

download irfanview its free and a must have.. has been for years.. look for the plugin pack and install them.. this will give u full exif info and the ability to downsize edit and save a pic in any format u like while still retaing it..

i can see the exif stuff in my browser with a firefox exif plugin.. its nothing to do with windows..

trog
01-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
the minus ev when in flash mode turns down the flash power.
Ah! You learn something every day. Must read that bl**dy manual sometime... 'course I loathe the onboard flash, who knows what +-ev does with an external flash. Oh, right - rtfm.

Julie
01-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You mentioned in your original post that you used SCN - "Pet" Mode. According to Jon, your exposure compensation was reading -2 EV. Could you have accidentally held the AV button down while flipping the thumb dial to get that setting? I know I've done it a couple times with my K100D - other than the flash compensation and the AF point selection, that could be one of the few things that can be changed.

Cute ferret by the way.
01-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

"Ah! You learn something every day. Must read that bl**dy manual sometime"

i dont think it mentions such things in the manual.. i know it does it that way.. it also does the same trick with my sigma external flash.

how it does its little tricks when u move one of the dials intrigues me and i try and find out.. not from the manual thow.. he he

its does the same thing in several different ways.. one is the e/v button and menue flash power adjustment.. when the flash is in use they do exactly the same thing..

quite how "pet mode" would affect any flash shot i cant see.. but folks will still think it does.. the minus 2 ev was quite cleary a user error..

i smell smoke and mirrors.. he he he

trog

ps.. just a correction to the above.. this is what it does when its dark enough to use its flash.. quite what it does or how it decides its in fill flash mode i havnt put to the test yet.. he he

Last edited by trog100; 01-02-2007 at 08:16 PM.
01-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Another thought. Could you have shot using "Bracketing" thinking it was Burst? Fn > Up > selected far right option?

Edit to last...Drive mode..."Auto Bracketing" vs. "Continuous"