Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Auto EV Compensation

In the custom menu on the K10D there's something called "Auto EV Compensation" described as "Sets whether to compensate automatically when proper exposure cannot be determined"
What? What? What?
I'm generally a pretty intelligent guy and have a reasonable command of the English language, but I can't figure this one out. I mean how can the camera automatically compensate if it can't determine the proper exposure?
If anyone out there knows what this feature is, what it does, when to use it, please enlighten me.

02-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I think it has to do with multiple exposures to create one image, the camera won't let overexposure occur when several exposures are combined to create one single image. I've never tried it, but thought I read about it in one of the Magic Lantern Guides to the Pentax K10D.
02-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Is this in the mutliple exposure menu? If so it sets it so that each shot makes up a part of the entire exposure. So if you are taking 5 shots of a stream and you turn on the auto exposure, it will expose each frame so that the 5 frames together make up the correct exposure. If you were shooting a building, then shooting the moon, you probably wouldn't want this turned on, because you would want the building exposed differently from the moon.
02-14-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's an "idiot mode".
Lets say you are in Tv and set a time of 1/1000 s, but it is way to dark for that.
Then the camera automatically adjusts for the error and sets a longer time.

02-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Inactive Account

That doesn't make any sense. If I Set 1/1000 that's what I want, for whatever reason, and maybe I'm willing to accept an underexposed frame just to capture the moment, if the camera thinks I'm a dummy (which I might concede) and sets the longer exposure I won't get the stop motion I may be seeking. Am I missing something?
02-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
That doesn't make any sense. If I Set 1/1000 that's what I want, for whatever reason, and maybe I'm willing to accept an underexposed frame just to capture the moment, if the camera thinks I'm a dummy (which I might concede) and sets the longer exposure I won't get the stop motion I may be seeking. Am I missing something?
No.
That's the reason why you can turn it off in the menu, which is also the default btw.
I don't know exactly why they added this feature.
But I can imagine that it may be helpful when you give the camera to your 10 year old daughter and she is playing with the buttons. She is still getting a decent shot.
02-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
No.
I don't know exactly why they added this feature.
Because it rocks with the Multi-Exposure.

02-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's something else.
02-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, it seems like there are different opinions on this. I suppose it just shows that the manual is not much help in this regard. I could understand that it might be an "idiot mode" but the camera already flashes the aperature value in the viewfinder if it's already wide open and I choose too high a shutter speed in Tv. Then again, if I ignore the flashing and have Auto EV Compensation activated the camera will say "If you're too stupid to pay attention to the flashing I will take control from you." It's believable.
Also believable is the multi-exposure explanation. It sounds like Jodokast96 has some hands-on experience in this regard.
Maybe it's both?
02-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
In the custom menu on the K10D there's something called "Auto EV Compensation" described as "Sets whether to compensate automatically when proper exposure cannot be determined"
What? What? What?
I'm generally a pretty intelligent guy and have a reasonable command of the English language, but I can't figure this one out. I mean how can the camera automatically compensate if it can't determine the proper exposure?
If anyone out there knows what this feature is, what it does, when to use it, please enlighten me.
Somewhere on the Pentax DSLR forum on dpreview, there's a great discussion of this mode. That's where I learned how powerful it can be.

Let's say we're at 100 ISO and the meter says the corret exposure is 1/250 at f8. If you then use the multiple exposure mode and take, say, 5 exposures on the same "frame" at those settings, with the "Auto EV Compensation" OFF, you would have just over-exposed the image by 5 times. BUT - if you do the same thing wtih the "Auto EV Compensation" ON, then the image will not be overexposed! What you'll end up with is a "psuedo-HDR" image, with the highlights not blown, but with more detail in the shadows!

It's pretty cool and is an under-utilized feature of the camera. No wonder with that lousy explanation in the manual!
02-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thatemailname,

Thank you!
02-15-2008, 12:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I’ve tried the multiexposure thing too, taking 9 pictures of a small waterfall and combining them in the camera and effectively ending up with a picture with 9 times as long exposure as was possible with a single frame. Nice effect. Without auto exposure they would have been overexposed when combined, as every frame was properly exposed when shoot.
02-15-2008, 12:54 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Well, it seems like there are different opinions on this. I suppose it just shows that the manual is not much help in this regard. I could understand that it might be an "idiot mode" but the camera already flashes the aperature value in the viewfinder if it's already wide open and I choose too high a shutter speed in Tv. Then again, if I ignore the flashing and have Auto EV Compensation activated the camera will say "If you're too stupid to pay attention to the flashing I will take control from you." It's believable.
Also believable is the multi-exposure explanation. It sounds like Jodokast96 has some hands-on experience in this regard.
Maybe it's both?
RTFM Jodokast96 is talking about a choice in the multiexposure dialog window labeled 'Auto EV Adjust' - see p166 of the manual.

This has nothing to do with what you and Blende8 are discussing. This is the item in the custom menu labeled 'Auto EV Compensation' which has exactly the function described by Blende8. It is interesting in Tv to set 1/250th in my office and to see the VF display flick to 1/10th at the same wide open aperture as you press the shutter and get an OK image.

Rod
02-15-2008, 02:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That just sounds dumb. If you're in an auto mode, the camera should be picking the right settings in the first place, if you're in manual, it shouldn't override them. Or am I missing something?
02-15-2008, 03:23 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
That just sounds dumb. If you're in an auto mode, the camera should be picking the right settings in the first place, if you're in manual, it shouldn't override them. Or am I missing something?
Take a look at post's #5 and #6 in this thread (just up the page).

Rod