Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax DSLR just died :(

Hey guys im really sorry but i'll be very direct because im really at loss here..

i was photographing a festival and my k20d just died.. i pressed the shutter release and nothing happened...

i though i'd ran out of battery but it wasn't, i took the battery off and put it back in, it turned on but no shutter release.
i knew i had a card with the debug mode enable files, so i enabled debug mode and tried the switch test and the shutter switch is working fine..
i then started looking for all sorts of problems and i noticed one thing even under the heaby bass that was going on...

every timei pressed a button, any button.. i felt the camera shake and give out that peculiar sound it gives when you're in live view and have the shake reduction on
and when it goes away the action is performed.

(you hit play to see your last shot for instance... (... ) and it:
shakes, lags, show's shot.
you press the button again, and it does it all over again, peculiar noise and lag, when it ends, the action is performed..

i deciced to "downgrade" so maybe by some strange weird fault could set anything wrong with the firmware, i decided to "downgrade - upgrade"
and it behaves the same way

anyone can shed any light on this? i'ts so ironic, about a month ago i saw the shutter release count and it was about 45.000

i am so sad, i lost one of the most amazing shows ever in terms on light composition, it was, for me, my best opportunity ever to get beautiful unique pictures in my own way
but the camera didn't let me.
i started already making all kinds of scenarios because i can't afford a repair or get a nwe camera, so i started thinking how could i fetch for my two beauty not so rare primes
so that i could get a ist*D and use the kit lens!
if anyone can help me trying to figure out whats wrong with the camera...
sorry for broken English its not my native language

Last edited by Akarak; 03-25-2013 at 04:57 PM.
03-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you tried reset it to initial settings then remove the battery for about 10 -15 minutes ?
03-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How old is your battery? Lithium cells have a limited life span regardless of use and eventually get to the point where they will no longer take a charge or pass current.

Steve
03-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #4

Original Poster
yes i have reseted the camera.
the baterry just got depleted, i will leave it charge and measure with a multimiter i have here...
somehow, maybe im too hopefull and finding reasons for that to work, but help me out here if you understand about this..

a baterry as it gets old it doens't last as long, eevryoen knwos that.. but.. it doesn't last as long and looses voltage? or keeps the voltage and just lasts less and less?
if the one is the true, it might be a chance, maybe the camera doens't have enough power..

but i can tunr on the camera and just downloaded the photographs from it..
i am alredy seeing some of the ist*d specs, i just can't stop photographing.

03-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Akarak Quote
a baterry as it gets old it doens't last as long, eevryoen knwos that.. but.. it doesn't last as long and looses voltage? or keeps the voltage and just lasts less and less?
if the one is the true, it might be a chance, maybe the camera doens't have enough power..
It looses the ability to keep a charge and looses the ability to take one and to pass current. Capacity under load also becomes essentially non-existent. I don't know if the voltage drops before it dies for good. I do know that once they start to die, they don't get better. In normal use, a lithium battery is generally reliable for about 3-4 or 5 years. Even if unused, they deteriorate over time.

Steve
03-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have to replace, have you considered a K 2000/KM as they are 10.2 mpi cameras and the ist*d is a 6.1 mpi camera...Just a thought..Cliff
03-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It looses the ability to keep a charge and looses the ability to take one and to pass current. Capacity under load also becomes essentially non-existent. I don't know if the voltage drops before it dies for good. I do know that once they start to die, they don't get better. In normal use, a lithium battery is generally reliable for about 3-4 or 5 years. Even if unused, they deteriorate over time.

Steve
I can vouch for a DSLR not liking bad battery power firsthand - in my case I had a bad set of AA's (fresh from the package!) and it about gave me a stroke when my new K-30 started acting weird. Echoing the advice to try another battery if possible before giving up on the camera.

03-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

When a battery gets old the capacity drops (i.e, its mAh figure) and its internal resistance rises. The measured voltage when out of camera will be much the same as a new battery after a charge, but when it's in the camera and being asked to deliver current, it loses voltage in its internal resistance and the camera actually gets a lower voltage to work with that fluctuates depending on camera operations at the time - it may not like this and crash/lock up.
03-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Thinking along the half empty glass, being it's still half full, every cloud has a silver lining etc. etc., this could be the excuse to upgrade.
03-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #10

Original Poster
upgrading is not an option sir

also the battery is fullt charged and it behaves the same, i have to test the baterry with the multimiter
03-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

yep, could be a battery thing. my wife's k100 is very fussy about the voltage coming from the batteries. best just to buy new batteries and try them out. just because they say 1.5v on volt meter doesn't mean they can take the load. I have seen batteries that run on 1.6v but when they get to 1.4, they won't work properly. If you want to test the load on them, through them in an external flash to see how quickly (or slowly) the flash will recharge after firing twice in a row or more

good luck

randy
03-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #12

Original Poster
a few years ago i i gave direct current to a canon 400d instead of using a bateri, i made a dummy baterry out of playgoudh, it was to make 3 day long timelapses.. i will be performing this on the pentax, provide her with what it needs to work and hiope that's it.
03-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #13

Original Poster
i just noticed that in the top LCD it only displays the baterry life, shot type (single shot>) and how many photos i have left
i can't see the measuring scale pr anyother thing on camera
03-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #14

Original Poster
I JSUT TRIED FOR THE FIRST TIME THE KIT LENS !!!!!! it didn't show "ISO" on the SCREEN so i changed it to 400ISO and i pressed the shutter and it worked.... is the camera trolling me? should i believe it's realiable?

can anyone help me test it or tell me performance tests i can do? interval shooting.. etc.. im just gonna check the shuttercounter
im sorry that i sound like a little whiner posting alot.. but as an almost 30year old man i alredy cried like a boy who lost his toy :'/
03-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
Banned

Maybe cleaning the lens contacts, bot on lens and camera. If they where not clean enough, maybe they coused the problem.