Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D P mode query

This is similar, but not the same, as another recent thread re P mode.

Pointing the camera at some object then press the green button - camera sets itself according to the chosen programme line, fine. (Auto ISO is set to 100-3200)

Adjusting the aperture value adjusts the shutter speed until it starts getting too slow, then the ISO changes to a higher value - all good and as expected.

But adjust the shutter speed up (getting faster) and when the aperture value reaches its widest I can no longer select faster shutter speeds as the ISO stays fixed at the first selected value (when the green button was pressed). That is the Auto ISO does not work, it does not automatically select a higher value, yet it did when adjusting the aperture.

Can anyone else with a K20D please try this to see if mine is a reject, and if they're all the same does anyone have any thoughts on this annoying behaviour?

03-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

just tried it, doing the same thign as your...what i also tried was i pressed the "ok" button (to show ISO) and moved it around my room. auto ISO was adjusting, but still, WAS NOT able to change Tv values, BUT still able to change Av (it did try to stay at a lower ISO as possible when I or once i changed Tv value)

oh..and it only made me go lower (Tv) not any higher

as for my thoughts....I really couldnt care less, I never shoot in P-mode

edit: tried reducing ISO range, same thing...bar underneath Tv was flashing in the VF
03-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks - at least my camera isn't bung. It seems strange that the auto-ISO is allowed to adjust when we adjust the aperture, but not when we adjust the shutter speed.

I thought I was just going to leave the camera in P mode 95% of the time, as then I have direct access to to adjust all 3 variables, Av, Tv and Sv. But it appears not now. Damn!

I realise that I can achieve my goals by using other modes, but this just seems dumb to me.
03-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

It could very well be an oversight on some over-worked programmers part. If Pentax reads forums, maybe you will make it into the credit roll of the next firmware update...

03-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

More than likely, that quirk will be fixed in a new firmware. It is even possible Pentax "techies" hadn't even noticed that glitch when the firmware was written. Idt will likely get all sorted out a wee bit later. Hopefully!

Bigben typefs faster than me....
03-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maybe we should have a separate section on this board which can only be posted to by mods entitled- "Things we think are mistakes on Pentax cameras", then the Pentax people can just go straight there to sort stuff out!
03-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Maybe we should have a separate section on this board which can only be posted to by mods entitled- "Things we think are mistakes on Pentax cameras", then the Pentax people can just go straight there to sort stuff out!
Voice of the People.....I like it!

04-01-2008, 04:18 AM   #8

Why not use TAV mode? It all works perfectly and you can do all that you want there ( I think)
04-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ukbluetooth Quote
Why not use TAV mode? It all works perfectly and you can do all that you want there ( I think)
Cheers, I'll try it. I'm still learning as I've come from a *istDs.
04-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Make sure to e-mail this report to Pentax. They do listen.
04-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
mine is doing this too. The question is, is anyones K20d NOT doing this???