Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2008, 03:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
card reader corrupting Pentax raw files?

On several occasions when reading the memory cards through a sandisk 6-in-one pc-card-adapter (in my laptop) my K20D pentax raw files gets corrupted. First they appear to be correctly copied, but it is maybe only the preview, I'm not sure, but as I try to view the full resolution in lightroom. the images suddenly change into an probably random color pattern. The change is permanent. It does not matter if I copy myself from the card to the harddisc or use lightroom to import them. Also, it happens with card of different brands. I was very frustrated for a while and did not suspect the card, cause I have used it for several years without problems with several cameras, and was afraid my new K20D was broken!

Then I tried the card reader that is built into my pocket hard disc, et voliá! No problems at all.
This does not happen with either my *istD or a pentax point and shoot camera we have at the work. Only the combination of the K20D and the sandisk card reader!

I've read several threads about problems with rawfiles, but not found something really similar.

Anyone out there with similar experience with the K20D and some specific card reader?
Anyone with an idea of why this happens?

05-03-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've had problems with one of my card readers and my k10d so i think its just the card reader as it works fine from my printer (with card reader) and also via usb from the camera

Maybe send back the card reader or get a new one
05-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Probably nothing specifically related to the K20D, but to the larger size of the K20D's files.
A 14.6 MP RAW file is 25 MB in size, vs. 11 MB for 6 MP *istD file.

May be time to get a higher grade card reader. Not all card readers are created the same - that's why there is a difference in price.

Also check to make sure your laptop takes USB 2.0. Older USB equipment are almost 1/40 speed slower, giving more opportunity for transfer errors with large files.
05-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks' for the good sugestions.

Card is too old to send back. I might buy a new, but which?

USB is not involved, as this is a "stick-in-card" (PCMCIA??), the sort of credit card sized card you stick into the side of a lap top, and then I stick the memory card into that. No USB.

...and the card reader in the back up hard disk...its of course USB connected since the hard disk is, and it works fine. But that might not count, since it is first mounted on the hard disk through some other sort of connection (this is one of those hard disks with a small display and a simple operation system of its own so that one can check, organize, zoom, edit, delete etc the picture already before connecting to a PC).

Sure it could be the size, but then I'd like to know what size and why. Is there different versions for memory cards (like USB is described as 1.1...2.0 etc), or card readers, that can or can't handle certain sizes? Without a clue of why, it's a random process to buy something new.

If there were a number of sort that identified the version of the card or card reader one might start to find a pattern in this.

05-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What's the capacity of your SD card ?
I've read about problems with the Sandisk 6-in-1 PCM/CIA card reader when reading SD cards larger than 1 GB. It won't give you a specific error message, but once you have more than 1 GB worth of files, the file transfer can get messed up.

I would suggest you get a USB-based reader. Your laptop will treat it as an external Hardisk - it will accept almost any current SD size.
My China-made Brand X card reader cost $ 15 USD, works just fine.
05-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
What's the capacity of your SD card ?
I've read about problems with the Sandisk 6-in-1 PCM/CIA card reader when reading SD cards larger than 1 GB. It won't give you a specific error message, but once you have more than 1 GB worth of files, the file transfer can get messed up.

I would suggest you get a USB-based reader. Your laptop will treat it as an external Hardisk - it will accept almost any current SD size.
My China-made Brand X card reader cost $ 15 USD, works just fine.
OK, Kitty, thanks, here is a clue at least. My cards are all 2 GByte (since I believe in putting the eggs in several not too large baskets). I will test with one of my old 1 GByte. I got the 2 GByte when I got the K20D and left the 1 GBytes with the *istD.

You don't happen to remember where you read about this with Sandisk 5....CIA cards and a size limit of 1 GByte?

And still, why? Is this just Sandisk or even this particular card? Or can it be other cards as well.

I'm not really in an urgent practical need for a new reader, now I just copy all my photos through the reader on the harddisc (I can really recommend that amitech hard disk). Another reader is a small cost, but I rather wait until I know what to buy.

I would like to understand why. It is a potential risk. The damage is not visible/does not take place (!?) until I open the files and look at the full resolution. They look OK in preview in lightroom (or other softwares). In a situation when I copy in a hurry (not so unusual), I could miss this, and the 2nd copy probably suffer from the same damage, and then if the card is lost/destroyed/malfunctions I stand there with two sets of corrupt files.

Too see it happen is a little bit like something from a "mission impossible" scene: "these files will self destroy within 10 seconds...." Scares the $€#@ out of me.
05-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The reviewers in the Amazon website would suggest the SD card limit is 1 GB.

Amazon.com: SanDisk 6-in-1 PC Card Adapter ( SDAD-67-A10, Retail Package): Electronics

Also a specific problem with 2GB cards raised in another forum.

pcmcia card reader size limit - CNET Storage Forums

05-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kitty may be on to something with the size limit. If that is the problem, I would just opt for picking up a USB reader and use that.

On the other hand, when was the last time you formatted your card? It may well have a bad sector.

Steve
05-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #9

I used to have an old Sandisk 6 in 1 reader and I had problems with it too. I've had a couple of cheap readers in between that all worked fine, but when I switched to SDHC cards I got a new Sandisk 12 in 1 reader and it works great.
05-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve823 Quote
I used to have an old Sandisk 6 in 1 reader and I had problems with it too. I've had a couple of cheap readers in between that all worked fine, but when I switched to SDHC cards I got a new Sandisk 12 in 1 reader and it works great.
Time to upgrade then! I'll try to get hold of that reader on your recommendation. Thanks!