Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
tell me, why do you prefer *istD/*istDS over K100D/Super?

I have read it many times over:

Users of an *istD or *istDS and a K100D(Super) and maybe a K10D or K20D say that they would do without the K100D(Super) before giving away their *istD / *istDS.

I would really know why,
please let's hear your arguments!

thank you
Andreas

05-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as an *istD and K10D owner, I would never trade the *istD for any other 6 MP camera.

Control wise it is the same as the K10D which makes them interchangeable.

Functionally, it does something only the DS can do as well, TTL Flash

That means it can use to the full extent possible, K mount and M42 lenses
05-03-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

the only reasons are the TTL Flash and Pentaprism finder which is brighter
i like my K100D cuz of the IS
05-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
as an *istD and K10D owner, I would never trade the *istD for any other 6 MP camera.

Control wise it is the same as the K10D which makes them interchangeable.

Functionally, it does something only the DS can do as well, TTL Flash

That means it can use to the full extent possible, K mount and M42 lenses
I have both as well and I also have a K110D. I totally agree with Lowell's comments on the camera. It's only disadvantages are the lack of SR and the LCD is a bit small but neither are deal breakers with the TTL metering and "K10D jr" layout of the camera. It's High ISO shooting quality is another plus as well.

My plans are to most likely get another one in the next 12 months or so as a spare. and replace the k10D with a 20D or 30D depending on budgets. Being able to use TTL flash units (I have two AF400T's) is a great bonus and the better metering with older lenses. Nice to be able to get a battery grip for it as well.

05-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To me the smaller phyical size is a + for the DS. I have 2 bags which are perfect for the DS but pretty much useless for any bigger bodies, and I HATE bulky camera bags LOL. SR is very tempting however.
05-04-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like DS because of its pentaprism, and better build quality than K100D cameras. TTL is also neat feature. Despite all that DS is more or less left at home since I got Super with SR.

P.S.
I'm still hoping Pentax makes K300D with pentaprism.
05-04-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wish I had bought a DS2! Same as my DS with the bigger 2.5 screen. Had a chance to shoot the D for a few weeks. Couldn't decide to buy it or not (nice size with grip). Didn't buy. Thing that stopped me on D was the speed at shooting raw (and really didn't need a 6th dslr). Much slower than DS. Always shoot raw. Sure was quieter than DS.
thanks
barondla

05-04-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you so much for your replies.

of course I had a reason to ask: a few days ago I had bought a *istDS but I still could exchange it for a K100D adding abt. 100USD or a K100DSuper adding abt. 150 USD.

I rather went for the *istDS over the K100D because I will be using old manual lenses for which the *istDS has some advantages:
  • brighter viewfinder, easier to focus manually
  • measures better with manual lenses - unlike with the K100D which needs a +bias of abt. 1.5 with M42 lenses.
  • supports TTL flash.
I also like it's smaller size
( and I chose it over a *istD because of it's faster writing speed and bigger LCD - and somewhat smaller body. The second wheel, though I would have liked it seemed less relevant to me as all it does is allowing to adjust both shutter speed and apertures with individual wheels in M mode as it is not customable like on the K10D, yes? )
However now I have read again and again that the picture quality of the K100D is considered better, and already I have shot some blurred photos which the IS might have saved.
and ponder changing it for a K100D(Super)
to help me decide I further ask:
  • Is the picture quality of the K100D considered better only if shooting JPEG, or also it's RAWs? Or are RAWs the same?
  • and I should start another thread called: 'what is a flash?' - because so far I never have used any external flash and don't understand what exactly I am gaining with the TTL support. Could anybody point me to a good read, or even explain?
  • will the K100D when using M42 lenses, after dialing in the required + bias, expose as well as the *istDS?

thank you very much for any input,
Andreas
05-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kuuan Quote
thank you so much for your replies.

of course I had a reason to ask: a few days ago I had bought a *istDS but I still could exchange it for a K100D adding abt. 100USD or a K100DSuper adding abt. 150 USD.

I rather went for the *istDS over the K100D because I will be using old manual lenses for which the *istDS has some advantages:
  • brighter viewfinder, easier to focus manually
  • measures better with manual lenses - unlike with the K100D which needs a +bias of abt. 1.5 with M42 lenses.
  • supports TTL flash.
I also like it's smaller size
( and I chose it over a *istD because of it's faster writing speed and bigger LCD - and somewhat smaller body. The second wheel, though I would have liked it seemed less relevant to me as all it does is allowing to adjust both shutter speed and apertures with individual wheels in M mode as it is not customable like on the K10D, yes? )
However now I have read again and again that the picture quality of the K100D is considered better, and already I have shot some blurred photos which the IS might have saved.
and ponder changing it for a K100D(Super)
to help me decide I further ask:
  • Is the picture quality of the K100D considered better only if shooting JPEG, or also it's RAWs? Or are RAWs the same?
  • and I should start another thread called: 'what is a flash?' - because so far I never have used any external flash and don't understand what exactly I am gaining with the TTL support. Could anybody point me to a good read, or even explain?
  • will the K100D when using M42 lenses, after dialing in the required + bias, expose as well as the *istDS?

thank you very much for any input,
Andreas

Andreas

With respect to flash, and flash photography, it is a matter of personal taste, and sometimes a different approach.

I use flash with wild life shots, principally birds, where you find yourself usually in a dark forest, or shooting into shadows.

I have attached a shot taken with my 300mmF4 and 1.7x AF TC. (500mm F6.7 approximate)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106132-post4.html

Not everyone shoots with a flash and a ling telephoto, but I do. I could not have taken this shot with my K10D.
05-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

i own an ist*D and a K10D

the personality of that ole backup is really nice.
it handles my flash well, it handles low light well once you get to know it. its a very rigid body and its a fun camera.
i dont shoot professionally on it, but i did when i was starting out. i have some really cool shots that i made on that thing and i still like to use it to this day.

um....there are a couple of places that are held together by scotch tape, however, as i am really hard on cameras....
05-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you guys say the K10D and the *ist do TTL flash, that implies that the K100D doesn't. This confuses me because I believe my K100D manual says it has a ttl flash. Is there some nuance about the terms that I am missing here?
05-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
When you guys say the K10D and the *ist do TTL flash, that implies that the K100D doesn't. This confuses me because I believe my K100D manual says it has a ttl flash. Is there some nuance about the terms that I am missing here?
I believe the K100D's flash ( and K10D's as well? ) is called P-TTL , which is different to the TTL of the *istX

as mentioned I don't know anything about flashes, and I must go through all this myself, but scroll down to No (V) ' P-TTL Exposure Accuracy (Flash Light Exposure)' on this review of the K100D ( which some may not like for being very critical, I find it very insightful nevertheless! )
RiceHigh's Pentax K100D Full Review
this should explain it.

cheers,
Andreas
05-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lowell, you've lost me.

Why couldn't you take the shot of the bird with the K10D?
thanks
barondla
05-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Why couldn't you take the shot of the bird with the K10D?
thanks
barondla
It's simple really, I used an SMC Pentax 300mmF4 and 1.7x AF TC.

the 300mm F4 is not an automatic apature lens (no electrical contacts to tell the camera minimum and maximum apature)

As a result, you cannot use P-TTL flash on the K10D, it simply does not work with manual apature lenses (although I gave pentax a solution that would make it work they won't change the software)

In reality, yes with different lenses you could take the shot with a K10D, just not my lens.

The *istD has True TTL flash, which meters light reflected off the sensor during exposure, and does not need to know apature to meter the flash. P-TTL uses the wide open apature, apature information and a Pre Flash, to meter the scene, then calculate the correct flash exposure.

Many claim it is because the sensor has a different reflection characteristic than film (and all DSLR makers use P-TTL or their form of it now) I think they did it to save a sensor and money.
05-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
See my post further down, the *istD and DS have TTL flash, which meters light reflected off the sensor.

All other pentax DSLRs use P-TTL which meters the flash when the lens is wide open then calculates the correct flash for the selected apature. for this to work, the lens needs to be controlled by the camera and have the contacts that tell minimum and maximum apature.