Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Inactive Account

HDR and Autobracketing

How do I autobracket on my Pentax K10D? I think there's an option in the menu, but if I turn it on, it switches itself off when I check the menu after exiting.

05-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
jlp
Forum Member

Press and hold the exposure bracket button (above the menu button) while turning the front edial and watching the upper LCD panel. The # of frame choices of OFF, 3, or 5 will appear--make your choice. In the menus, you specify the step increment and sequence (e.g., 0,+,- or +,0,- etc.) With the K10 you need to hold the shutter button down until the specified number of frames are completed (or press x times to complete the sequence; if using a remote or self timer, you need to do the x times thing.) It's all in the manual . . . Index -- exposure bracket
05-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jlp Quote
Press and hold the exposure bracket button (above the menu button) while turning the front edial and watching the upper LCD panel. The # of frame choices of OFF, 3, or 5 will appear--make your choice. In the menus, you specify the step increment and sequence (e.g., 0,+,- or +,0,- etc.) With the K10 you need to hold the shutter button down until the specified number of frames are completed (or press x times to complete the sequence; if using a remote or self timer, you need to do the x times thing.) It's all in the manual . . . Index -- exposure bracket
Almost perfect jlp, but not quite. On the K10D the exposure steps are on the rear edial while the exposure bracket button is pressed. This is one of the really great things about the K10D for me. Bracketing is not at all difficult.

You are correct in that one must hold the shutter release until all the bracketed exposures have been taken. Weird, but what the heck.
05-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
jlp
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Almost perfect jlp, but not quite. On the K10D the exposure steps are on the rear edial while the exposure bracket button is pressed.
Yes, agreed (don't have the K10 anymore, but it's the same for the 20 excepting the shutter release scenario), but I was referring to the setting of the exposure step (.3 or .5) in the custom menu. Thanks for adding the additional control information for the exposure compensation range to the post . . .

All said, open the manual and start on page 161.

05-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Almost perfect jlp, but not quite. On the K10D the exposure steps are on the rear edial while the exposure bracket button is pressed. This is one of the really great things about the K10D for me. Bracketing is not at all difficult.

You are correct in that one must hold the shutter release until all the bracketed exposures have been taken. Weird, but what the heck.
Not only weird but annoying. You can't take a self-timed picture that is bracketed because of this.

Is it fixed in the 20?
05-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think, from memory, the K20D has the option of separate button presses for each bracketing shot.
05-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I think, from memory, the K20D has the option of separate button presses for each bracketing shot.
That's still annoying. I would love to see a full bracket set with just one button tap - at least if the camera is in timer mode.

05-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
jlp
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
That's still annoying. I would love to see a full bracket set with just one button tap - at least if the camera is in timer mode.
On the 20 you can select 'one push bracketing' in the custom menu to accomplish this -- 3 or 5 frames with a single push. With the 10, you would have to press the shutter button 3 (or 5) times -- or press the remote an equal number of times -- to capture the required number of frames. So, if that is important, for another $1100 you can have the functionality.
05-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Just don't forget to turn it off when you're done. I've had some really weird exposures on some pictures after I had tried it for the first time. It took a little while for me to figure out what I was doing wrong.
05-12-2008, 04:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It seems with the firmware updates, this would have been addressed and/or corrected. I know the technology existed when the camera was released, why has Pentax chosen not to address this? Have we seen the end of firmware updates for the K10D?

Jason
05-12-2008, 04:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that button would be nice to have...
05-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a similar functionality in K100D?
05-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Is there a similar functionality in K100D?
Anybody, please?
05-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't remember having to do this with bracketing. Actually, the last time I bracketed a shot, it was a long exposure night shot timed to include vehicles. If I'd had to do it this way, wouldn't each exposure be different due to the moving vehicles? IIRC, I pressed the shutter once and got 3 different exposures of the same frame.
05-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
Inactive Account

OK from what I can tell, it doesn't autobracket in K10D in Green mode. Can anyone confirm that?