Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2006, 01:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade from DS to K100D?

Hi there

This is my first post at this forum - looks good, and well done to the hosts

Have any forum readers upgraded from the DS to the K100D? Apart from IS what do you get? My only real issue with the DS is low light focusing. I don't really miss IS as I don't shoot the things that might need it (eg sport with a long tele).

Is there anything else I'm not considering? The price is right and I can pass my DS on to my daughter.

Cheers

Gordon
Perth
West Australia

09-30-2006, 02:40 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi Gordon

I've also got a DS, and am considering upgrading, but to the K10D. I shoot a lot of surfing, so am hoping the AF performance and FPS of the new camera are well ahead of the DS (which can sometimes be... pedestrian). The jpg quality of the k100d is supposed to be better than the DS's, so that could be a buying point. The anti shake is well worth it also...

http://www.pbase.com/bookster
09-30-2006, 05:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

From DS to K100d you get
- faster AF
- better low light AF
- SR
- Better JPEG
- Better exposure (less underexposure with certain lenses like the 16-45)

But also
- smaller viewfinder
- slightly smaller buffer
09-30-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DS to K100D

I have the DS and have shot the K100D. Its a tough call. SR is really great. It won't help you with sports though. It only takes your motion out, not the subjects. Best for low light subjects that aren't moving. As Joele said the jpegs are sharper and more colorful. This doesn't matter to me much because I shoot raw. The AF is better on the K100D. This matters to me on some things but not a lot because I use manual focus frequently. The DS excels at manual focus because of a larger viewfinder. The other thing you loose with the K100D is ttl flash. The DS supports both ttl and p-ttl. I have 2 ttl flashes I use for macro. It would be expensive to buy two Pentax 360 flashes for this. The lcd screen on the K100d is considerably better. Bigger, more colorful looking, and viewable from about any angle.
I solved the upgrade question by upgrading to a K10D. At least it will have more advantages over my DS. Yes, the flash problem still remains (no ttl). This is why my DS is staying around. I wonder if the DS or the K10D will become my favorite camera?
thanks
barondla

09-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
From DS to K100d you get
- faster AF
- better low light AF
- SR
- Better JPEG
- Better exposure (less underexposure with certain lenses like the 16-45)

But also
- smaller viewfinder
- slightly smaller buffer
There's also no TTL in the K100D (and sadly also the K10D)

IMO, if you want to upgrade, go from DS to K10D. Getting the K100D is a waste of money if you already have a DS...

In a few months, I'm going from DS2 to K10D myself

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
There's also no TTL in the K100D (and sadly also the K10D)
Oops yes forgot that I have a p-ttl flash so didn't much effect me..

QuoteQuote:
IMO, if you want to upgrade, go from DS to K10D. Getting the K100D is a waste of money if you already have a DS...
Well my girlfriend uses me DS so for me not such a bad upgrade, the focus speed esp in low light was noticable to me.. As was SR..

I will get a K10d too, but keep the K100d as a backup...
10-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

While K100D is a natural upgrade from DL/DL2 it's a really hard case when you have DS... Joele summed up what you get and what you loose...

In your place I would wait (I also have DS and I wait). I would not be surprised at all if Pentax would introduce an upgrade for K100D quite soon (let's say end of 2007). Gap between K100D and K10D is very large it looks for me that Pentax took out pentaprism viewfinder and larger buffer out of K100D to make room for future upgrade, kind of crippled K10D version in a K100D sized body.

So, I still use my DS and waiting what will happen in 2007 Also I don't rule out scenario that after handling in shop K10D I would go for it...

10-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ditto here. At this stage I'm waiting, though very tempted by K100D. They must upgrade in the not to distant future just to keep up with the others (or at least appear to as some would argue they're already ahead!)
10-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Ditto here. At this stage I'm waiting, though very tempted by K100D. They must upgrade in the not to distant future just to keep up with the others (or at least appear to as some would argue they're already ahead!)
The K100D is affordable so this makes this very interesting if I will buy it. Main reason for me is not the SR but the stunning examples from first time Pentax users on pbase etc... Also I believe I read somewhere on PentaxForums that the colour reproduction with Violet is very accurate. Just another reason to buy as the fall colours are really starting to show.