Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Perfect! Let me know how it worked for you.

The most important thing about metering to remember is the following: so called "proper" exposure (meter reading 0.0) on all cameras is designed to render whatever is in front of the lens as middle gray scene. Period.

As Freeman Patterson explained in one of his books, initial metering provides only a starting point. From there, it is up to a photographer to decide if he/she wants that scene to be rendered in lighter or darker tones and to compensate accordingly.

Combination of proper metering (cameras are better at that) and subjective scene interpretation in order to compensate metering (our eyes/brains are better at that) is the key to good and reliable exposure. That's it, there is nothing more to it.

-= IVAN =-

02-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Hello All,

For the last couple of days, I was playing with my 1.4/50 MM lens from my ME Super to work on my K100 but no success. I put the dial on M mode (manual) and play with the Av button and the aperture ring and the DOF lever as well but all I see is flashing Av on the top LCD panel and and flashing F in the viewfinder. I also went to the custom setting and set it to #2 but the same result. I am just wondering now if it is me or the K100 that I cannot get it to work. I really love this lens as it gives me excellent result on my ME. Any help will be appreciated. I also followed every instruction on this thread but I am going nowhere, the M mode though work just fine on my 16-45 DA lens.

Cheers,

Rene R
02-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
Hello All,

For the last couple of days, I was playing with my 1.4/50 MM lens from my ME Super to work on my K100 but no success. I put the dial on M mode (manual) and play with the Av button and the aperture ring and the DOF lever as well but all I see is flashing Av on the top LCD panel and and flashing F in the viewfinder. I also went to the custom setting and set it to #2 but the same result. I am just wondering now if it is me or the K100 that I cannot get it to work. I really love this lens as it gives me excellent result on my ME. Any help will be appreciated. I also followed every instruction on this thread but I am going nowhere, the M mode though work just fine on my 16-45 DA lens.

Cheers,

Rene R
Hi Rene,

I just got home, so I'm playing catch-up here. Step by step...here we go.

So in Menu>Custom, you went to "Using aperture ring" and chose option 2.

Now you made sure your camera was off when you mounted your lens.

If you have SR on when you turn on your camera, the screen will ask for the focal length of your lens. Use left or right to choose 50, then press ok.

Go into M mode. This is the only mode I can get my M50/1.7 working.

You can change the shutter speed using the thumbdial.

Switch the focus mode switch (on left side of camera) to MF. I always forget that! I won't be able to fire unless I get a focus lock (hexagon in viewfinder) because the camera is programmed that way. MF will override that.

Hope that helps!
02-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Hello Alvin,

Thanks for the quick response. I went to try the setting as you suggested but still, I see the flashing Av on the top LCD and the flashing F in the viewfinder. Yes, before I change the lens, the camera was off, use MF, but still there is no response at all from the functions that I tried. Tried to input L and R buttons too but nothing happens. I truly love this K100 except this glitch that I cannot use my 1.4/50mm and a Vivitar 75-205 mm zoom.

Cheers,

Rene R

02-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
Hello Alvin,

Thanks for the quick response. I went to try the setting as you suggested but still, I see the flashing Av on the top LCD and the flashing F in the viewfinder. Yes, before I change the lens, the camera was off, use MF, but still there is no response at all from the functions that I tried. Tried to input L and R buttons too but nothing happens. I truly love this K100 except this glitch that I cannot use my 1.4/50mm and a Vivitar 75-205 mm zoom.

Cheers,

Rene R
Hmmm...guys, I'm stumped. More brainstorming...

Have you tried a firmware update already?
The left dial on the top of the camera is set to M right? Just reconfirming. You won't see AV in the LCD, it will show --.

When you mount your kit lens on the camera, can you use M mode?

I'm leaving for home. Won't be back in here for a couple hours, but I'll check back after I have my dinner
02-20-2007, 01:32 AM   #21
Pentaxian

That is normal -there is no data being given to the camera from the lens. So the camera gives you that response in the LCD. That does not mean that the lens is not working. It will work fine. now go and take pictures using the exposure types from Ivan and others above. I use that lens perfectly well, as do others, on the digital body.
02-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Hello Alvin,

Thanks for your untiring help. Yes, the dial is in the M (manual) mode, the camera is off before engaging the lens and tried the DOF function, e-dial, the AE-L button but there is no change to the flashing Av and F in the viewfinder. In fact when I tried to fire the shutter nothing happens. Re the firmware upgrade, I have a 1.3 version and check Pentax Canada re the new version 1.01 and the only addition is the focal length information in the SR, I really think this has nothing to do with the manual mode on a manual lens. Also note that my two DA lens work fine in the M mode.

Hello Arjay,

Thanks for the input, my issue here is not about metering nor about exposure brightness. I just want to use my two manual lens on the K100, I am aware that I won't be getting info on the VF and LCD but whatever input I use in the camera, I get this flashing Av and F, there is no change at all. LOL.

Cheers,

Rene R

02-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi Rene, I've been following the back and forth here and I'm stumped too. The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is the AF/MF switch. Is it on MF? I have the DS and I get similar behavoir when the focus switch is on AF. The only other thing I can suggest is to cycle thru all the different modes on the mode dial, Av, Tv, P, M, B, etc. Also clean off the contacts on the camera mount with a hard rubber eraser, there might be some electrical contact that shouldn't be happening, it's amazing what a small piece of conductive dust can do in the wrong spot. If none of those work, I'd think seriously about returning the camera, there is obviously something wrong. It should work perfectly. Let us know how you make out.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
02-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Rene, use the setting changes that alvin suggested if you haven't already.

Menu / Custom Setting / FI with S lens ---> Pick "Availiable" --> Press Ok
Menu / Custom Setting / Using aperture ring ---> Pick "Permitted" --> press ok

Oh yea, the camera doesn't like to take photos with K lenses on "AF" mode for mine camera too.

For DOF, I always use the optical preivew mode.

Menu / Custom Setting / Preview Method ---> Pick "Optical Method"

This actually stops the lens down as opposed to taking a sample photo.

Good luck with the camera!
Pete,
02-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Hi Rene,

Quick sanity check. If you have no lens mounted on your camera, set for M mode, check the switch on the front left side is set for MF and squeeze the shutter, does it fire?
02-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Hello All,

Thank you so much guys for the input, for now I will save all the the valuable info you gave me . I will try to cool down and work it out this weekend. Another Pentaxian from DPR also gave me valuable pointers which I will also try. I will keep you guys posted some time next week. I am truly humbled by this Pentax community, for now I consider this case as close until I get result and I will certainly credit it all to the patience and deep knowledge of all the Pentax afficionados.

Cheers,

Rene R: