Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Downgrading Firmware on K20D

Is downgrading firmware on Pentax cameras generally simple and safe?
Looks like my raw developer is not getting fixed up too quick, and i do miss tinkering in the raw files, 1.01 on the K20D changed the data enough to have the files unrecognized, and thus i'd like to downgrade to 1.00 until that issue is resolved (Seems getting the next version out the door took priority over fixing up the current version when a vendor changes strings around used for camera ID)

06-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
Looks like my raw developer is not getting fixed up too quick, and i do miss tinkering in the raw files, 1.01 on the K20D changed the data enough to have the files unrecognized, and thus i'd like to downgrade to 1.00 until that issue is resolved (Seems getting the next version out the door took priority over fixing up the current version when a vendor changes strings around used for camera ID)

Needed to fool the camera's brain again!?!
06-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Try using the same principles, but I'm afraid you have to do it yourself for the hex editing.

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: How to Get Back to an Older Version of the Firmware?

Maybe you will be the first hacker who shares the modified file, like what other K10D users did b4? ;-)

And yes, it is incompatible, as I have reported in my blog earlier:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K20D Firmware 1.01 Incompatibility
06-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
RH: It's Bibble, you are missing a b.
IF the data had changed, then wouldn't the Pentax software too be affected?
I was hoping it was a camera/manufacturer ID string change causing the ruckus, especially since the Bibble devs thought it's something they could handle on their own. (Yes, i'm speculating/hoping, i have no concrete info) so i guess i'm now off to checking the first link.

06-28-2008, 03:08 AM   #5

I was hoping it was a camera/manufacturer ID string change causing the ruckus,
While I cannot confirm if this is the only change in the firmware, I can confirm that what makes problem for K20D 1.01 PEF files to be recognized by Apple OSX (iPhoto and Aperture), Bibble and C1 is header information:

Firmware 1.0: PENTAX Corporation .PENTAX K20D
Firmware 1.01: PENTAX .PENTAX K20D

I have tried to replace the header with hex editor and after the change it instantly becomes readable by both Aperture 2.1 and C1 4.1. Btw, it is a complete pain in the neck to replace headers in each and every PEF manually! I did it out of curiosity, not masochism...

Since problem never existed with Lightroom, I suspect that Adobe checks for camera model, not manufacturer.

While I can understand the legal logic behind this move in Pentax (it is only a brand, not corporation anymore), the sneaky way it was implemented is ridiculous. How many important RAW or DAM software is out there? Not many and a simple informational e-mail to all of them BEFORE the fact could have saved some (much?) trouble to some (many?) Pentax users.

Hey Pentax, it is your flagship product you treat as an orphan and it is your customers you just fail to respect.

Last edited by Sondek; 06-28-2008 at 03:13 AM.
06-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great Finding! Well Done!!

I shall report your finding in my blog and let all the K20D users know.

My Bravo again for your wisdom and smartness!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sondek Quote
While I cannot confirm if this is the only change in the firmware, I can confirm that what makes problem for K20D 1.01 PEF files to be recognized by Apple OSX (iPhoto and Aperture), Bibble and C1 is header information:

I have tried to replace the header with hex editor and after the change it instantly becomes readable by both Aperture 2.1 and C1 4.1. Btw, it is a complete pain in the neck to replace headers in each and every PEF manually! I did it out of curiosity, not masochism...

Since problem never existed with Lightroom, I suspect that Adobe checks for camera model, not manufacturer.

While I can understand the legal logic behind this move in Pentax (it is only a brand, not corporation anymore), the sneaky way it was implemented is ridiculous. How many important RAW or DAM software is out there? Not many and a simple informational e-mail to all of them BEFORE the fact could have saved some (much?) trouble to some (many?) Pentax users.

Hey Pentax, it is your flagship product you treat as an orphan and it is your customers you just fail to respect.
06-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sondek Quote

It's what i expected, and Pentax just decided to do that at the wrong time, in case of Bibble, they don't have the resources to do it quickly, since it's not the only fix they would included in a fix release, considering how much of their time goes into Bibble5 release, as opposed to Bibble4fixups, especially the header change not being something that is their fault, i of course wish they had done a less close matching in their software *shrug* RAW+ it is for now i guess.

Doesn't look like a true downgrade is easily possible.

06-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #8

It's what i expected, and Pentax just decided to do that at the wrong time, in case of Bibble, they don't have the resources to do it quickly, since it's not the only fix they would included in a fix release, considering how much of their time goes into Bibble5 release, as opposed to Bibble4fixups, especially the header change not being something that is their fault, i of course wish they had done a less close matching in their software *shrug* RAW+ it is for now i guess.

Doesn't look like a true downgrade is easily possible.
I'm in the same boat. Silly me should have read the forums before applying the firmware upgrade :-(

I'm going to write a script today that will process the headers of the PEF files and revert it back to the "PENTAX Corporation" which will make them work again with Bibble. I just did one manually and it works.

I'll post it up here later when it is done and tested.
06-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That would be swell.
Maybe add a copy or link to here at this link: support.bibblelabs.com :: View topic - Pentax K20D Microcode 1.01
06-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #10

Update
I've got the basic file write working well and tested.
I just neded to add the logic to loop through a directory and process each file.
Basically, end user will point it at a directory and it will work through each PEF file it finds.

I'm planning to NOT touch the original but create a copy and alter that.

What OS is everyone using? I'm currently just putting this together in VBA (within Excel, my everyday coding area), however I can do it in something more compatible with Linux if preferred (maybe a perl script, I figure if you use Linux you can handle a perl script :-) )

Troy
06-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One vote for linux here, i admit i'm not motivated enough to check how i could script this up myself, so i will highly appreciate you sharing the fruits of your work.
06-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #12

Ok here it is. First iteration.

Excel spreadsheet. This first up creates a copy on the same folder prefixed "NEW_" and alters that so your originals are untouched.

I'll work on it later and give you the option of not creating a copy if you don't wish.

Post any suggestions up. I'll be out for a while but back on PC later.

PEFv1.01.zip

Cheers

Troy

EDIT: Oooops sorry morfic... I'll do a scripted Linux version in a few hours. Sorry, was thinking of my own PEF's first :-(
06-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
morfic@heracles:~/MyPictures/50-135/raw$ ~/Image-ExifTool-7.32/exiftool -Make="PENTAX Corporation" imgp1942_bak.pef
1 image files updated
morfic@heracles:~/MyPictures/50-135/raw$

EDIT:

morfic@heracles:~/MyPictures/50-135/raw$ ~/Image-ExifTool-7.32/exiftool -Make="PENTAX Corporation" *.pef
25 image files updated
morfic@heracles:~/MyPictures/50-135/raw$

Yes, the files now opens fine in Bibble

So i won't be downgrading anytime soon, this fix is better.
06-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #14

awesome!!
gotta love how easy file routines are in Linux
06-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troywhite Quote
awesome!!
gotta love how easy file routines are in Linux
That was IBM/MS DOS used to be. Maybe now we can try the cmd command line in Xp/Vista?