Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 08:19 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Charts for Auto-Focus Check acknowledged by Pentax.

When I introduced my Auto-Focus charts, It was both accepted by many people but also discredited by others. I received many constructive comments and suggestion, and some were incorporated in the current design.

The time I took to design the charts was to help other Pentaxians. I sent the charts to Pentax and asked them for an opinion. Because Pentax is International, with the head office in Japan and also because they now are owned by Hoya, I will not mention the names at Pentax but here is the email received from them.

Hi, Yvon.

Actually the chart worked just fine for me. A co-worker also tried it. He’s an old hand with the popular one on DPReview, but he says your chart seems just fine. He and I both liked that it folded out to a 45° angle block, which seemed to make the process pretty easy.

Thanks for working on this and making it available.

Best regards,

~~~~~ PENTAX Imaging Company

You can check and download the charts for free here: AF Charts

Thank you for reading. With Pentax, you're in good company,

Yvon Bourque

08-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Do you have one available in A4 paper size for those of us not located in USA?
08-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Forum Member

I printed the chart on A4 paper just fine. If you are printing from Adobe Reader, make sure to disable all the auto-resizing stuff it wants to do (Page Scaling: None). I also disabled the Auto-Rotate & Center.

The chart should fit just fine in the 210x297 area of A4.
08-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #4

Thanks juice :-)

08-05-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Direct link to the chart download.
08-05-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D as well?

The chart title indicates that it is for the K20D. Is there any reason why it could not be used on a K10D?
08-05-2008, 03:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for this

Well done

08-05-2008, 06:09 AM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks for that chart. Just in case anyone wishes to compare various lenses for sharpness (resolution of fine detail) I would suggest you do a Google search and download one called "USAF1951.pdf" and print it out. I chose to print it out on high quality, non-glossy, photo paper. I then mount it on a vertical surface, with the camera on tripod and back the camera up until the chart fills the screen of the viewfinder, and do this on all my lenses. I learned quickly which are the better and which are the poorer lenses in my collection.
08-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yvon,

I downloaded the 4-page PDF and printed out. Please clarify the following:

- Charts 1 & 2 are ready to use after trimming the paper and folding, correct?
- how do I use chart #3 ?
-what is the unlabeled page #4 for?

Thanks!
08-05-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
The chart title indicates that it is for the K20D. Is there any reason why it could not be used on a K10D?
It works with any camera. The Pentax K20D custom setting # 35 allows adjustment of the front/back focus for up to twenty lenses and keeps it in memory. But you can check any lenses on any camera, if the lens is having focus issues, you have to send it back to the dealer for repairs.
08-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Yvon,

I downloaded the 4-page PDF and printed out. Please clarify the following:

- Charts 1 & 2 are ready to use after trimming the paper and folding, correct?
- how do I use chart #3 ?
-what is the unlabeled page #4 for?

Thanks!
Chart 1 & 2 are ready after trimming, but to make them more solid, you can use the template with no chart on it, trim them and tape them in reverse to chart 1 & 2. It makes them very solid. That's just an option.

The biggest chart can be laid flat on a table while you tilt the camera to a 45 degree. There are just no paper big enough to make it a stand alone 45 degree chart like #1 and #2.

Hope this help.

Yvon Bourque

P.S. If you read the blog, it does explain how to use the charts.
08-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
Hope this help.

Right on!

08-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooneybird Quote
do a Google search and download one called "USAF1951.pdf" and print it out.
Direct Link.
08-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #14
Forum Member

Please reply to my email Mr Book

I have just purchased youe book on the k10d in pdf format. I have sent you emails on a couple of occasions already about some problems with the file. Please be a responsible seller and fix my problem.

Peter
08-06-2008, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spooked Quote
I have just purchased youe book on the k10d in pdf format. I have sent you emails on a couple of occasions already about some problems with the file. Please be a responsible seller and fix my problem.

Peter
Peter,

You emailed me once. I am a very responsible seller. There are no problems with the e-book. The e-books (electronic book) are meant to be read on a computer screen, although I have allowed printing of the book from the PDF file. However, to protect my intelectual rights, when printed, the K10D book shows a copyright watermark on each page. I do sell the printed version, that has no copyright watermarks. If I were to allow complete printing and manupulation of the e-book, some unscrupulous person(s) would likely copy and distribute the books or sell the books for their own profits. It takes at least 500 hours to write such book. I know you understand. All you have to do is reverse the situation. Would you give away your intelectual rights if you were in my shoes? You can purchase the printed version anytime.

P.S. I regret that you have brought this situation to the forum, but that still does not make it right to want the same priviledge with an e-book as with a printed and bound book.

Best Regards,

Yvon Bourque