Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2007, 02:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Battery indicator for DS

When I put in new batteries in my DDS, I find that the battery indicator flashes.
The manual says " the camera turns off after disp;aying a message" I never get a message.

it just happen with half used CRV3 batteries, which I know the state of.
it even does it with alkaline and recharageable Ni MH AA batteries.

today I put in lithium batteries adn had to reset the date and time.

any thoughts,

I can't wait for the K10D.

02-18-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Russell,
Not sure. In the past I have used lithiums (AA & CRV3), which are good, but die with little or no notice.

I have switched to Eneloops which are fantastic. Here's a 'diary' of their use:
Bought Eneloops for DS in late Oct 2006, recharged them in mid Dec after some 500 shots (straight out of the packet...no charging)...still going today after another 600 shots and some flash use.
Bought a second set of Eneloops mid Dec for wifes DL, these are still going after 500 + shots, but battery indicator has dropped today whilst uploading to computer....but did not die.

Note: Both cameras can sit unused for weeks at a time.
Cheers
Grant
02-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
pentaxuser

If cleaning the battery compartment contacts does not help, then there may be a problem with the camera.
02-18-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pentaxuser beat me to this but I'll take it a step further. Try a soft, clean rubber eraser to clean the contacts - just a few light rubs to remove any corrosion if there is any. Use a pencil eraser (clean) to get the inside contacts. Blow it out with with a rocket blower before reinserting the batteries and give it a go.

02-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Many thanks I will try the above advise.
Cheers
02-19-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Russel, I have a DS and have had no problems with it. I use CRV3's and other than the well known fact that they die with little warning, I have had no problem. I have taken many thousands of shots and replaced the CRV3's many times. I've never tracked how many shots I get per set of CRV3's but it's above 1000, I keep a spare set (or two) with me just in case. All I can do is reiterate Alvin's advice, except I'd use long Q tips and contact cleaner.

NaCl(Hope that helps)H2O