Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D vs K20D vs...

I've been following the various K10/K20D upgrade threads with interest and was very close to upgrading to the K20D. But I've decided against it for now..

The K10D served me well so far, and because of my LBA, I should hold off a while before buying a new body now But when they release the next model (K30D?) I am going to upgrade unless it turns out to be a dud

Does anybody know if/when we can expect a new model? Any rumors out there?

08-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

the K10D uses an outdated sony made CCD

the K20D uses a brand new developed CMOS unit, with differences made right at the photosite level

you can go ahead and wait for the K30D, but the K20D technology can be had now, and can be boasted in the face of 40D and D3 owners without any hesitation.
08-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thats true.. And I could really use the improved high ISO performance of the K20D now. BUT, The K20D will get cheaper in the coming months.. and If they do announce a new version this year, I can then either buy the K20D a lot cheaper OR buy the new and hopefully improved version then
08-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mhertel Quote
Thats true.. And I could really use the improved high ISO performance of the K20D now. BUT, The K20D will get cheaper in the coming months.. and If they do announce a new version this year, I can then either buy the K20D a lot cheaper OR buy the new and hopefully improved version then
you can wait all your life for the perfect life only to die with empty hands.....

(not sound morbid) but seriously, if you have the green, spend it! if you dont, dont! What can i say...

08-21-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
the K10D uses an outdated sony made CCD
Well, outdated is a strong word. It's still current as it is used in Pentax K200D, Nikon D60 and Sony A200. The K20D is also a 1st generation CMOS with all the defects and bugs this can imply.
08-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Well, outdated is a strong word. It's still current as it is used in Pentax K200D, Nikon D60 and Sony A200.
it is said that K200D has an updated version of 10mp CCD sensor from Sony and so are the rest.
08-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Well, outdated is a strong word. It's still current as it is used in Pentax K200D, Nikon D60 and Sony A200. The K20D is also a 1st generation CMOS with all the defects and bugs this can imply.
something can be current but outdated

like Converse "all stars"

08-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

They are both great cameras. For those of us with limited cash flow, we go for the best bang for the buck. Often that is a new lens versus a new body.
08-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, I own a pair of K10D bodies for work as well as a *ist DL for travel/backup and I had the K20D for about a month on loan to write a review:

Pentax K20D Review

Although there is a lot to love about the K20D, it's more of an "evolutionary" replacement for the K10D rather than a "revolutionary" replacement.

By that, I mean the K10D absolutely slaughters every Pentax DSLR that came before it. The K20D, on the other hand, just offers a couple of nice features that the K10D lacks.

I decided not to purchase the K20D, but if anything happened to either of my K10D bodies I would buy the K20D in a heartbeat.

What I really want is something to replace my DL as a travel DSLR. I like the K200D okay, but it's MUCH heavier and slightly bulkier than the DL. The K200D is so close in size/weight to the K10D/K20D that you might as well carry the K10D/K20D if you're going to carry the K200D.
08-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Interesting review, especially after all the raving about the better noise control. I've been debating this issue myself, along with the idea of adding a second body. There's no question that I definitely want to add one at some point, it's just which one to get. I've come up with some options:

1. Keep my K10D and get a K100 or K100 Super used. They're both smaller and have good noise control. This would make the most sense financially.
2. Go with option 1, but after buying second body, go ahead and start saving for the K20 or future Kx0 body. Once I'm ready to buy the new Kx0 body, I can sell off one of the bodies I already have.
3. If Pentax introduces a new Kx000D body at Photokina, keep the K10 and start saving up for the new body, assuming that I like it's specs.
4. Keep the K10 and buy the K200.

For those of you who have used both the K10 and K20, is the sensor noticably better for the IQ when using the higher-end lenses?

Thanks!
Heather
08-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
1. Keep my K10D and get a K100 or K100 Super used. They're both smaller and have good noise control. This would make the most sense financially.
Heather, I recently added a K100D Super, and the noise levels are similar to my K10D at all ISOs. Based on my copies, I see no reason to add a K100DS for low light performance.

I know some people have been harping that the K100D/S has better noise performance, but I did some digging, and it seems that people who have both claim the noise is similar.

I also believe that newer K10D's have much better noise performance than earlier ones. I'm basing this on other people's posted pictures, which appear to have much less noise than mine at ISO1600 or even ISO800.
08-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I am very happy with my K10D and as long as it works and I'm still getting good photos I won't upgrade. I don't consider an SLR a disposable product and won't get the new latest and greatest model that will pop up every few months. I know the DSLR technology is constantly changing and improving but will I take better pictures with a K20D? Probably not. I also accept the fact that digital cameras won't last as long as the old mechanical ones like my SP1000 but I hope to get 5 or 6 years of good use. By then I should expect to get more out of a body than a few more megapixels and a littler better high ISO pictures. My money will go for better glass and maybe a good flash.
08-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Another option, I've given a little thought to in my situation is to simply to get another K10D body. I'm already used to the one I have and I like it, so why not get another one? The Marketplace seems to be flooded with a bunch of them, as of late, so getting one for a good price won't be a problem.

As for the noise issue, I've thought about getting a copy of Noise Ninja for those every-once-in-a-while occasions where high ISO noise is an issue.

Before I do anything though, I'm going to wait until after Photokina before taking any action one way or another.

Heather
08-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both models are excellent tools. Neither will disappoint. Both worth the money you pay for them. Noise, schmoise. Good exposure at just about any ISO should give you good results.
08-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
As for noise, lets not forget how far we have come; I more or less use iso 400 as the base line standard setting with great results and go higher as and when required.

This flexibility in old film days was only offered by a few film types, likes of Ilford XP1 and XP2 (chromogenic films, B&W processed as colour print, remember them) which you could pull and push iso settings on the same roll of film.

Let's all enjoy what we have now and take great images, without getting wrapped around the axle with technical issues.