Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

k200d with af-280t flash

hi,has anyone tried this combination yet.i spoke to a camera retailer & he told me this won't work. he said that i could screw up the camera's electronics. any logic to that??
geoff

08-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can report that the combo works - sorta.

The flash interfaces with the K200D - sets exposure values when "TTL" or "Auto" modes are selected - however, it only fires the preflash - so there's no flash when the shutter is actually opened. It does work just fine in "Manual" mode - the disadvantage is that you'll need to fire off a couple of "test" shots to get the exposure the way you want it as the flash fires at it's max level.

I find that my old Vivitar 285HV actually works better as it's a manual flash - just set the vari-power dial to the f-stop selected and shoot. Usually it's within an f-stop of the correct exposure - certainly useable without having to make several test shots.

As to trigger voltage - that shouldn't be a problem as my AF-280T measures around 10.25 - 10.50 VDC.

IMHO you really need one of the P-TTL capable flashes that's on the market to properly work with the K200D.
08-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
i found a used one,reserved it,have 2 pick it up.150$ cdn pesos
08-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nutkasse Quote
i found a used one,reserved it,have 2 pick it up.150$ cdn pesos
IMHO you can do better than that - on eBay you can get a AF360 FTZ for about the same $$ and it's fully P-TTL capable. The AF280T, while a nice flash, is NOT worth $150.

08-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I can report that the combo works - sorta.

The flash interfaces with the K200D - sets exposure values when "TTL" or "Auto" modes are selected - however, it only fires the preflash - so there's no flash when the shutter is actually opened. It does work just fine in "Manual" mode - the disadvantage is that you'll need to fire off a couple of "test" shots to get the exposure the way you want it as the flash fires at it's max level.

I find that my old Vivitar 285HV actually works better as it's a manual flash - just set the vari-power dial to the f-stop selected and shoot. Usually it's within an f-stop of the correct exposure - certainly useable without having to make several test shots.

As to trigger voltage - that shouldn't be a problem as my AF-280T measures around 10.25 - 10.50 VDC.

IMHO you really need one of the P-TTL capable flashes that's on the market to properly work with the K200D.
The AF 280 T should work fine in the two auto modes. The TTL won't work. You don't have to use manual with it. Unfortunately there are NO auto modes on the AF 500 FTZ I have, and that makes it a bit of a pain to use.
08-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

hi,has anyone tried this combination yet.i spoke to a camera retailer & he told me this won't work. he said that i could screw up the camera's electronics. any logic to that??
geoff

K200D can only do pttl and 280T can only do ttl. The latter won't fry your camera and won't communicate with it either. You can only use the flash strictly manual
08-31-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My af280t works very well with my K100d. Two semi automatic states. I just set the aperture to what I think is best for the conditions and shutter speed to 1/180 and fire away. If the shots are underexposured, I set a larger aperture and vice versa. I got one for about 50eur.

08-31-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
chipb, i found a af-360 4 150$, not af-280.i have the af-280 from b4
canada_rockies,what setting did u set @ the dial,aperture or shutter priorty or did u leave it on auto/programme mode?
09-01-2008, 03:23 AM   #9
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
K200D can only do pttl and 280T can only do ttl. The latter won't fry your camera and won't communicate with it either. You can only use the flash strictly manual
The AF-280 has its own sensor so it can be used in Auto. Just set the aperture per the distance calculator and fire.
Rui
09-01-2008, 05:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
The AF-280 has its own sensor so it can be used in Auto. Just set the aperture per the distance calculator and fire.
Rui
It does not I am afraid. For TTL , the sensor is in the camera like LX or all AF645 cameras. All Pentax dlsr except the earlier models like Ds can only handle pTTL.

Also it does not communicate with the camera, it can only be used in all manual mode. Its auto function is not auto if it does not communicate. When we talk about auto we would refer to it being capable of detecting and setting fire level depending on distance of subject.

BTW I like my AF280T so much so that I sold it and bought it again at $30. Not many manual flash has such huge power and ability to swivel/tilt.

Somebody took this image. The AF280T was triggered with a simple optical trigger (another $20 gismo)

Daniel
09-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

chipb, i found a af-360 4 150$, not af-280.i have the af-280 from b4
canada_rockies,what setting did u set @ the dial,aperture or shutter priorty or did u leave it on auto/programme mode?
On the flash, select one of the two auto settings - there are two f/stops available. On the camera, set the aperture to match. Turn on the flash and camera. Take pictures. It should work just fine. The flash uses its own sensor to determine the exposure.
09-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #12
Busiko

It does not I am afraid. For TTL , the sensor is in the camera like LX or all AF645 cameras. All Pentax dlsr except the earlier models like Ds can only handle pTTL.

Also it does not communicate with the camera, it can only be used in all manual mode. Its auto function is not auto if it does not communicate. When we talk about auto we would refer to it being capable of detecting and setting fire level depending on distance of subject.

BTW I like my AF280T so much so that I sold it and bought it again at $30. Not many manual flash has such huge power and ability to swivel/tilt.
Daniel

Daniel,
A flash to be Auto doesn't need to be TTL, it can control the flash on its own with its own sensor.

And yes it has own sensor. It can work standalone.
Attached Images

09-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
Daniel,
A flash to be Auto doesn't need to be TTL, it can control the flash on its own with its own sensor. And yes it has own sensor. It can work standalone.
In the world of dslr, if a flash cannot be controlled from the camera, it should not be called auto. Your camera (OP k200D) cannot tell the flash about its intended aperture.
It can , in a very limited degree, work as a standalone flash - I show that above. Can you elaborate to what extent it is 'auto'?
What does the sensor do? Detect the subject distance and control the flash power?

Daniel
09-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
Busiko

In the world of dslr, if a flash cannot be controlled from the camera, it should not be called auto. Your camera (OP k200D) cannot tell the flash about its intended aperture.
It can , in a very limited degree, work as a standalone flash - I show that above. Can you elaborate to what extent it is 'auto'?
What does the sensor do? Detect the subject distance and control the flash power?

Daniel
Sorry, no further comments.
09-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Daniel
Daniel, auto does not equal TTL. The 280T will set the flash sync speed in the camera, and react to the signal to flash. The original auto flashes all worked the same way the flash works on the 280T when you select one of the two auto modes: they use a sensor on the front of the flash to determine when to cut off the flash.

In the flash family, "auto" means that the flash will compensate for distance/subject brightness. You do not have to manually use guide numbers to determine the aperture to use. You do not have to manually set the camera to the synch speed.

When the description does not include the letters TTL, then the flash uses its own sensor to control the output of the flash.

I hope this clears up the confusion.