Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #1

K200D not including EXIF lens information

I just got my K200D a few days ago, and it doesn't record any lens info apart from the focal length and aperture (ie, no lens model!) I've tried all 3 lenses that I got with the camera, but still no luck. I've also tried different programs to view the EXIF data but still the same.

Is it just my camera, or is this normal?

08-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K100d doesn't record lens info, and that's normal
08-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Huh? that's weird. My K100d have the lens name clearly recorded on the EXIF. I'm using the 18-55 and 50-200 kit. When trying out the manual 50mm in the camera store last time, the EXIF becomes unknown.

I'm using lightroom to view the exif data. Maybe the Pentax software does not read the lens name by default?
08-31-2008, 04:49 PM   #4

Pentax Exif Tags

It does record the lens model. You just need something that shows the relevant tag. ExifTool can show all the tags. Here is the author's list of Pentax tags:

Pentax Tags

Enjoy. - Tom

08-31-2008, 07:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
Aperture doesn't display EXIF lens info for K200D

QuoteOriginally posted by ymot Quote
It does record the lens model. ...
You're absolutely right: exiftool shows all the lens info (and more!)

So let me ask a new question:

Why doesn't the lens info show up in Aperture? When I choose to display it it just shows up blank, but I know the info's there because I can see it through exiftool

Am I missing a setting in Aperture?
08-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All that actually gets recorded in the EXIF info is a numeric code (and even that is only recorded for modern lenses that communicate this info to the camera). Whether or not any given program is able to relate that numeric code back into an actual lens name is up to the designers of that program. Some programs don't bother even trying - there are just too many lenses out there to keep track of. Some do try to keep trakc of them, but when a new lens is introduced, the program won't know its code and won't be able to display its name until the next time the program developers release an update that knows the new lens codes.

So either aperture is one of the programs that just doesn't bother, or else your lenses are too new for Aperture to know about.
09-01-2008, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
The exiftool website is really very helpful! I've figured out that Aperture gets the lens model info from the EXIF 'Lens' tag (expecting a literal string, not a number code), but Pentax cameras don't use this field, but a custom field. I managed to use exiftool to copy the lens info over to the proper field, and Aperture now sees it. Great!

For posterity, the basic command is:

Code:
bash% exiftool '-LensType>Lens' imagename.PEF

This can be combined with a find command to update all raw files in the library!

but ... BACKUP FIRST!!!

09-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Is it that there is a blank field where it says lens info, or is there just no lens info area at all? you might need to set it to show all exif data.
09-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Is it that there is a blank field where it says lens info, or is there just no lens info area at all? you might need to set it to show all exif data.
When I choose to display the "Lens Model" EXIF info in Aperture the field is blank (ie, nothing there). If I use the above exiftool command then the lens model info shows up in Aperture.

e.g. Straight out of the camera:

After the exiftool command:
09-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hmm, it would appear this problem isn't limited to pentax firmwares, my GX-10 does it too, I guess I'll have to add running exiftool on images to my copying off camera process after or before running everything through adobe dng converter.
09-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Hmm, it would appear this problem isn't limited to pentax firmwares, my GX-10 does it too, I guess I'll have to add running exiftool on images to my copying off camera process after or before running everything through adobe dng converter.
I'd expect the GX-10 to have the same problem, because isn't it basically a rebadged K10D?
09-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robot_kid Quote
I'd expect the GX-10 to have the same problem, because isn't it basically a rebadged K10D?
More or less, although supposedly samsung made their own firmware for it, this makes it seem more like samsung slightly modified the pentax firmware.
11-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could you Explain...

I can't make this command do anything. I'd appreciate your explaining in more detail how to use this. Would it be possible, for example, to have a folder of PEF files, run a command to do this change on them all, then re-import to Aperture?

thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by robot_kid Quote
The exiftool website is really very helpful! I've figured out that Aperture gets the lens model info from the EXIF 'Lens' tag (expecting a literal string, not a number code), but Pentax cameras don't use this field, but a custom field. I managed to use exiftool to copy the lens info over to the proper field, and Aperture now sees it. Great!

For posterity, the basic command is:

Code:
bash% exiftool '-LensType>Lens' imagename.PEF

This can be combined with a find command to update all raw files in the library!

but ... BACKUP FIRST!!!
11-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nevermind....figured it out, and wow it does work!