Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Infrared Conversion - *ist DS and *ist DL

Hey everyone (long time no see),

I wanted to pop back to let everyone know that the long-delayed IR conversion of my *ist DS was a success. I also converted a *ist DL which is almost identical, and the process was the same. I was able to get two IR filters cut to size from Frank (thanks Frank!) and I followed the xdeltax instructions here:
xdeltax IR modding tutorial

I actually followed the directions only to step 10. Because I'm soldering-averse, I was able to remove the sensor without snipping any wires. If you're following at home and want to use my method, starting with step 11 you can get the three screws holding the sensor board out like this:

Pull the board down slightly to get the top screw:

(Harder) lift the board up to get at the left-side screw:

(Hardest) lift the tape off, and lift the board as high as it can go without breaking to get the bottom screw. The problem is really that the board can't slide up because of the scroll wheel, but with enough patience you can get it:

Then you can slide out the sensor board. Also not in the xdeltax instructions, I removed the four screws holding in the IR-cut filter and simply pulled it out the back. There is a soft rubber casing around the filter which you can push back easily.

Then you put it all back together, and voilą - you have yourself a mighty sensitive IR camera that allows you to frame and focus through the lens. (Note that the focus point is obviously going to be different in the infrared spectrum, so you'll need to adjust appropriately.)
The below shot was taken at ISO 200 and f/11 at 1/45th second, barely slower than a daylight shot.

Larger sizes for the brave are at Infrared Photo Gallery by Sean Carpenter at pbase.com

Later,
Sean

10-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Inactive Account

WOW! I just sent you an email about that shot (KOP Mall?) Looks like a fun project.
10-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
WOW! I just sent you an email about that shot (KOP Mall?) Looks like a fun project.
It was fun, but not for the timid.

The shots from yesterday were Ursinus, this one was an outdoor sculpture of some sort.
11-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey, nice work, Sean. Glad you finally got your Ds converted

11-03-2008, 03:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow, though be a braver man than me. Well done. Have you or anyone else any info on converting a *istD to IR????
11-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Did you replace the blue filter with an IR filter? What kind and is it hard to cut to size? Will the new IR filter affect focus?
11-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
Not Registered

I only have 2 words for your guidelines....LATEX GLOVES. Man, I was stressed of seeing you handle the sensor and filters with your bare hands.

THanks a lot for posting it.

11-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Hey everyone (long time no see),

I was able to get two IR filters cut to size from Frank (thanks Frank!) and I followed the xdeltax instructions....
Thanks for the additional instructions.

However, I am still not clear about the filters!

Do you add the IR filter cut to size to the Sensor INSTEAD of the IR 072 filter in front of the lens?
11-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sean - Thanks for the post . I have a DS ...Hm... Should I ... ? . You're indeed a brave man .

I think I might give it a try after I have a back up for my K10D .
04-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Late to the party!

Well I finally ordered my *istDL replacement (A wonderful silver K-5!).
And I would like to convert the istDL to a IR camera, which brought me to this post.
But he pictures are gone, and the links are broken...
Please help! Thanks
08-10-2011, 07:31 PM - 2 Likes   #11

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this. I wanted to see how easy this was... and it looks like it might be too tough for my tastes!
Here's a link to the original IR conversion tutorial: http://2k8.ch/xdeltax-alt/tutirmodding/
Good luck to anyone trying this out!

Last edited by Pest; 08-11-2011 at 09:39 AM.
09-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #12

Images are broken but the instructions are still showing via internet archive of the link
https://web.archive.org/web/20081009221251/http://www.xdeltax.com/tutirmodding/index.html

This thread shows in top search results for converting *ist DL for IR via google.
I'm considering this as an option since I've upgraded to k20d.