Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Corrupted files

I have a month-old K20D, a week-old 16gb card and a brand new D FA 100mm macro. I just took about 50 photos of which a dozen or so won't download and are not viewable; "Cannot display image".

I tried a deleted file recovery program and it couldn't fix the images but it said that portions of these files had been overwritten. That makes sense because I am able to view one obviously corrupted file. It has a couple of other photos superimposed over portions of the frame. The strange thing is, there are some uncorrupted images among the corrupted ones.

I thought I'd format the card and try it again before I lose any meaningful photos, but what caused this, the camera or the data card? Surely not my new lens, which I love to death already. I've never had this happen before, so I suspect it's the newish data card.

10-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would be thinking its the data card... do you have another?

If your not wanting to invest in another 16gb, buy a lower less costly card and check

Neil
10-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I would be thinking its the data card... do you have another?
If your not wanting to invest in another 16gb, buy a lower less costly card and check
Neil
I have another 16G card, same make, Adata, which I've used without incident for a month. I also have a 4G Sandisk that's almost a year old and never had a problem. I need to determine whether this will happen again.
10-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is always a PITA, especially if you cannot pinpoint who is to blame.

My first guess is that the cards are to blame. Do your tests in your other 2Gb card. But first of all, has this happened before? (with same or another camera body)

Before downloading to computer, check if you can browse all pics inside camera.

If it doesn't happen with the small card, then your camera is OK.

Robert B.

10-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree about the card. I have purchased several A-Data cards in 8g and 16g size for my K10d. Some work, some don't. The ones that don't sometimes work and sometimes don't. I think it may be about time to give up on this brand.
10-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

A-data is cheap on quality and not worth the saving imho. Buy Transcend instead which are also cheap (on price but not on quality).
10-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When you get the card new, format it with the camera. Always make sure the camera is turned off when removing/inserting the card.

When putting the files on the computer, copy them - don't move them - as I've had problems with this corrupting files on the card. When you are sure the files on the computer are OK, delete the ones on the card.

Last, If using Windows (XP or Vista) make sure you select the 'safely remove hardware' icon when you are ready to remove the card from the card reader.

10-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
When you get the card new, format it with the camera. Always make sure the camera is turned off when removing/inserting the card.
Yes, I always do this.

When putting the files on the computer, copy them - don't move them - as I've had problems with this corrupting files on the card. When you are sure the files on the computer are OK, delete the ones on the card.
I'm sure that's good advice. The files were corrupted in the camera though, some good ones, then some bad ones, then a good one etc. I noticed some "cannot display image" messages in the K20 LCD screen. I thought maybe the aperture ring had gotten shifted, so I adjusted it and kept shooting. Clearly it was not the problem.

Last, If using Windows (XP or Vista) make sure you select the 'safely remove hardware' icon when you are ready to remove the card from the card reader.
I have to admit I haven't been doing that lately. I will start again.
10-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
My first guess is that the cards are to blame. Do your tests in your other 2Gb card. But first of all, has this happened before? (with same or another camera body)

Before downloading to computer, check if you can browse all pics inside camera.
I just took a half dozen photos with the same setup, (same card, camera and lens). Everything looks good, in camera and on my laptop. I have not had any trouble in the past.
10-17-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I agree about the card. I have purchased several A-Data cards in 8g and 16g size for my K10d. Some work, some don't. The ones that don't sometimes work and sometimes don't. I think it may be about time to give up on this brand.
I bought a 16G Adata on eBay for $50 shipping included. Before I hit the Buy Now button, I did a search and didn't come up with anything negative about the brand. I noticed that Henry's, a big retailer in Ontario, sells these for $200 each. The one that malfunctioned today was my second 16G Adata, the first has worked flawlessly for a month.

I'm hoping it was sloppy handling that caused the problem. Memory chips are touchy creatures. If I continue to have trouble I'll return the card, I did buy an extra-long warranty for $5. I'm just glad no one thinks it was the camera that's screwed up.
10-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've had this as well, but I could recover the image (they copied to my laptop, but the camera could not display them, however RAW Developer could). The problem was that there were streaks in the image, most likely where there wasn't any data. I reformatted the card several times in the camera and just didn't use it for any pictures I cared about for awhile. Never had a problem since. It was a SanDisk 2 GB card, not a cheapo brand. If you care about the photos I'd just ditch the card and try another. I tend to keep my cards < 4 GB to decrease my chances of losing a large number of photos due to a stupid card read/write error.
10-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I bought a 16G Adata on eBay for $50 shipping included. Before I hit the Buy Now button, I did a search and didn't come up with anything negative about the brand. I noticed that Henry's, a big retailer in Ontario, sells these for $200 each. The one that malfunctioned today was my second 16G Adata, the first has worked flawlessly for a month.

I'm hoping it was sloppy handling that caused the problem. Memory chips are touchy creatures. If I continue to have trouble I'll return the card, I did buy an extra-long warranty for $5. I'm just glad no one thinks it was the camera that's screwed up.
I get my cards from Canada Computers Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more., the A datas have been problem free. I've been told be very careful buying cards off EBay too may fakes and seconds from the reject bins end up there.
10-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

A-Data's have been good to me too. i use the 150x 2 giggers. although they seem no faster than my Class 6 8 GB
10-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've had very good luck recovering my images that get corropted with ZAR, or Zero Assumption Rule. I use their free software and it has saved a lot of images for me.

I really need to try a different storage card.

vmax84
10-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
As cards are now relatively cheap, I recommend you buy the best you can.

I carry at least four 4Gb Sandisk Extreme III (SDHC) cards all the time, never had a problem.

If your images are important like mine, treat yourself, you won't regret it.