Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
First off , I have middle aged eyes & need all the help I can get. I shoot 99% manual focus. I have the 1.2 & it does help . I woulnt go back to the original but may go to a 2x if I find one .. I bought the 1.2 off of ebay from the feller in Tokyo & it arrived in 3 days .. My Katz eye is waiting for me at the P.O., hopefully that will help some also...wildherre

03-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #17
Inactive Account

@ anyone having the 1.2 magnifier:
Is the optics glass or plastic? Is it coated? Can you easily blow off dust particles? Easy to clean? Does it affect the contrast?

I have asked some of these questions earlier and there never was any consensus. I have the Nikon equvalent right now and it is good, the 1.2x magnification helps with manual focusing but the contrast is affected. It is not easy to clean and it seems as uncoated plastic to me. Is the Pentax version better?
03-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
@ anyone having the 1.2 magnifier:
Is the optics glass or plastic? Is it coated? Can you easily blow off dust particles? Easy to clean? Does it affect the contrast?

I have asked some of these questions earlier and there never was any consensus. I have the Nikon equvalent right now and it is good, the 1.2x magnification helps with manual focusing but the contrast is affected. It is not easy to clean and it seems as uncoated plastic to me. Is the Pentax version better?
I'm lookin' right at it, and I THINK it's glass, but I can't say for sure.

Yes, I can easily blow off dust with a bulb blower or a can of compressed air. (Never use the compressed air on the inside of the camera, but it seems to be okay on the eyecup.)

Does it reduce the contrast? I think it might, although it takes me too long to pull it off and take a look for the sake of comparison. The built-in viewfinder on the K10D is bright and clear. My vague sense is that I have lost a little brightness or clarity (or both) with the eyecup installed. And of course, this means that the small gain in magnification is offset, at least partly, by the small loss in contrast. But as I said in my first post in this thread, I still find it useful if only because it is a more comfortable object to smash my eye up against than the original viewfinder.

Will

Last edited by WMBP; 04-03-2007 at 06:53 AM. Reason: originally said "blow off glass", which made no sense...
03-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #19
Ed in GA

Pentax 75-300 lens

Will,

I see in your profile that you have the Pentax 75-300 Zoom. I'd be curious as to your evaluation of that lens.

I have a promaster 70-300, which I believe to be made by Tamron, which is not a bad lens but neither is it a good lens.

I might switch to a different brand, or type, and I'm curious about the Pentax.

Any comments for me?

Ed

03-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Thank you Will,
I think that covers it pretty well. Regards,
03-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Eddy,

I'll send you a private message. Seems a bit of a detour from the thread topic, no? :-)

Will
03-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #22
wll
Veteran Member

I Like 'em

Have them on my K10D's and DS's. Like the fact that I can manually focus easier. They are on my cameras to stay.

Also like the fact that they stick a bit further out so I don't hit the LCD screen as often. For me these are a must have item.

wll

04-03-2007, 01:28 AM   #23

I have and I will leave it; main benefit is really in improved ergonomics. You can see the size of it here:

Original:

O-ME53:

Last edited by Fantocci; 04-03-2007 at 01:34 AM.
04-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I have one also but have not tried it yet. Dumb question how do you get the eye piece off the camera? I have squeezed the edges to no avail so far. I don't want to force it. Is there some trick to it.

A split focus screen would be nice.
04-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Just pull it upwards.
Yes, it's a nice accessory but it's not very friendly with glass-wearing users. It's not so bad, so I'm still using it.
04-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
I have one also but have not tried it yet. Dumb question how do you get the eye piece off the camera? I have squeezed the edges to no avail so far. I don't want to force it. Is there some trick to it.
It's been a couple of months since I last did this, but if I recall correctly, you squeeze the left and right sides of the eyecup and pull gently but firmly UP. The eyecup does not just pop off, it slides up and off the camera.

My Pentax magnifying eyecup came with written instructions. Not perfect perhaps but enough to reassure you that you're going about it in the right way.

Will
04-03-2007, 10:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, it's a nice accessory but it's not very friendly with glass-wearing users.
This is a problem, but I'm pretty sure that the original eyecup was even worse. IN any case, my solution has been to buy a simple necklace-type holder for my glasses. The string goes behind my neck and attaches to the side arms of my glasses, in front of my ears. When I want to shoot, I simply grab my glasses by the bridge and pull forward, dropping the glasses to my chest. It's important to get a holder that connects in front of your ears rather than behind them. Most of the holders designed for athletes are intended simply to keep your glasses on firmly while you bounce around. What I use is a holder specifically designed to make it easy for me to take my glasses off and put them back on quickly.

Will
04-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #28
Pentaxian

That's OK if you can use the camera's diopter adjustment instead of your glasses. I can't
With my glasses on (and while using the viewfinder magnifier), I can't see both the frame (I'm talking about the corners) and the viewfinder indications. I'll end up pushing my face against the camera.
As I've said, IMO it's not a big deal - however you should check if it's OK with you before buying. I'm more annoyed about the marks from the eyepiece's rubber left on my glasses.
04-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #29
Inactive Account

I like the magnifier just because it keeps my screen clean in back. I don't think the 1.2x magnification is that noticable imo, and it may be a tad dimmer than the regular viewfinder but I am willing to make that tradeoff in order to keep from rubbing my face against the screen.

Then again, I think that this should really cost more like $25 instead of $35+
04-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's OK if you can use the camera's diopter adjustment instead of your glasses. I can't
With my glasses on (and while using the viewfinder magnifier), I can't see both the frame (I'm talking about the corners) and the viewfinder indications. I'll end up pushing my face against the camera.
As I've said, IMO it's not a big deal - however you should check if it's OK with you before buying. I'm more annoyed about the marks from the eyepiece's rubber left on my glasses.
The same problem as mine! But I found that shooting without any eyepiece is the best for me. It's easier to see corners and it doesn't leave any marks on glasses. Shame on pentax, why didn't they make viewfinder for minus diopters.