Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #1

istD or DS

Hi Pentax shooters,

I am considering a 2nd DSLR body. I will buy used. What is the big difference between D and DS or DS2? I know D takes CF and DS takes SD card. Thats not important to me. I am also aware of the battery grip difference. I want to know if there is any image quality, color rendition etc diffrence.

Your inputs aprreciated.

Subho

11-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Only used the istD not the others on your list.

The istD is SLOWWWWWWW to write to a card. I think, but not sure, that improved with the later versions.

Image quality on the D is good, i had many great shots with that camera.

If you can afford one, why not get a good used K10D, better write speeds, SR among some features the istD lacks..

Dave
11-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the Ds. I chose it then because it was newer, wrote faster and (but about that I am not sure) gave more setting options. I have never regretted my purchase.

I never regretted the upgrade to a K10d either. So I am with the other poster, that you should consider buying a used K10d.

Good luck!
11-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Inactive Account

DS

I have a K10D and a DS. I really like my K10D and got it before I had the DS. I wanted a smaller camera to keep in the car most of the time so I would always have a camera. I originally planned on a P&S but the more I looked the more I was drawn to a D, DS or DS2. I settled on the DS because it was newer and more available. It is bigger than the P&S I intended to get but with a small bag it is pretty easy to carry and have available. The DS takes great pictures. I print to 12x18 and have no issues with print quality. I really like the smaller size of the DS but miss the SR sometimes. I plan on keeping both for now.

11-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kibipod Quote
I want to know if there is any image quality, color rendition etc diffrence.
They all use the same sensor, so the images are essentially identical if you shoot RA. If you shoot JPEG, there might be subtle differences in the in-camera processing, but probably nothing you couldn't change in option settings (eg, changing the saturation, contrast or sharpness controls).

They're all fine cameras, although at this point buying a Pentax DSLR without SR or SDM support seems a little odd. On the other hand, if it's a specialized application where you know you won't need either of those but will need TTL support, that would totally make sense.
11-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kibipod Quote
Hi Pentax shooters,

I am considering a 2nd DSLR body. I will buy used. What is the big difference between D and DS or DS2? I know D takes CF and DS takes SD card. Thats not important to me. I am also aware of the battery grip difference. I want to know if there is any image quality, color rendition etc diffrence.

Your inputs aprreciated.

Subho
I think the biggest issue is the differences in levels of support to older lenses.

The *istD and DS have TTL flash metering, no others do, this means you can use non A lenses with external flash.

The D also supports TTL flash with its internal flash, I believe, but please someone correct me if I am wrong, that the DS does not support TTL flash with the onboard flash.

if you are a user of old manual focua lenses, this can be important.

The D is also bigger, and has dual thumb sheels like the K10D and K20D, making it easier to use as a second body if you have either of those two cameras.

On the down side, it is probably the slowest in writing to memory, but that is just a sign of the technology, it is a fine camera and I still use mine regularly.
11-20-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
please someone correct me if I am wrong, that the DS does not support TTL flash with the onboard flash.
This is correct.

11-20-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by solisti Quote
This is correct.
since the DS does not spupport TTL with the on board flash, this makes the *istD the best second body for if you intend to use a loit of Manual apature lenses
11-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a *ist D Pentax with 28-80mm Lens plus the battery grip, neck strap and genuine Pentax bag. 2 gig CF card included. Has the original manual also. Missing all the cords PC/Video etc. Good condition.

Now listed in Marketplace with pics.

Last edited by Bob Tuttle; 11-23-2008 at 10:00 AM.
11-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have istD and I had DS for 4 years.

istD has great layout for controls and ergonomics , way ahead of the DS.
Pictures with DS are a little bit sharper even in RAW, i am not shooting jpeg.
I read that some filter (forgot the name) that is installed in front of the sensor on istD is the reason for this.

Also DS is slow saving pictures to the card and istD is reeeeeeeeeeealy slooooooooow.

Take 4 frames in RAW in a burst mode and you can go make coffee, camera will be busy for a minute +
For some it will be a problem, I do not care much.

I sold istDS and I am still using my istD because of the ergonomics and the fact that i can use TTL flash with M42 lenses.

Oh and a few more things, AUTO ISO is really funky in ISTD, the screen is small 1.8 or 2', this features are better on DS.

But overall istD is a great little camera especially for travel and I still love it to the extent that my K10D is for sale now, but I will keep my istD.