Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Preflash?

Hi, i'm new to the k10 as you may know, but i bought an optical slave for my flashes and they are on their way but i may need to turn off the preflashes on my camera. any ideas on how to do this? i looked for a while and couldn't find anything. thanks

03-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm 99.9% positive that you can't. That's the name of the game with P-TTL flash. The only external flash units that will work with the 10D would be the Pentax dedicated units, unless you use the hot shoe adapter and a regular sync cord with studio flash, but watch the trigger voltages.

Walt
03-31-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
suddenly i once again regret joining this pentax thing...
03-31-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
clm

QuoteOriginally posted by brechdofragen Quote
Hi, i'm new to the k10 as you may know, but i bought an optical slave for my flashes and they are on their way but i may need to turn off the preflashes on my camera. any ideas on how to do this? i looked for a while and couldn't find anything. thanks

You could use any flash with a manual mode mounted on the camera's hot shoe to trigger the optical slave. Set camera to Manual and use guide number, flash meter, or experiment to get proper exposure.

03-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
with the 1.10 firmware update, if you set the pop up flash to wireless, it will fire only one flash. otherwise if it didn't, the preflash would trigger any wireless unit.
you could turn down the pop up just enough to trigger another flash if you don't like using the pop up as one of the main flashes.

hope this helps

randy
03-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i guess i'll have to try it when i get them, but every setting i've tried, including the ones suggested still appear to have two flashes firing. I really did not want to have an on camera flash as that will detract from the whole point of having the off camera flash, but i may have to.

to my other question, why pentax? when i bought this i thought it'd be all good and grand, but i'll never ever buy another one, right now i'm looking for a sharp big aperture lens, and all i can find is those limited lens (31 1.8 and 77 1.8) which are not in stock anywhere and cost close to 800 dollars along with all the other lenses you can never find (super zooms, fast aperture zooms) and now this is another of the stupid why factors on this camera that i just don't understand. so my question again is, why pentax?
03-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
Inactive Account

A work around.

A work around, test to ensure that the re-cycle time of your other flashes and see if they can fire twice at the power you want within 2 seconds, if they can what you can do is pop-up the internal flash, set the camera into 2sec self timer, what this does is fires the pre-flash, then two seconds latter when the shutter opens the main flash will fire, both of these flashes will hopefully fire your slave, if shooting people advise them to wait until after the second flash.

The last thing you can do, is use a lens with an aperture ring and set it to your desired aperture, and put the camera in either X, B or M to enable it to manually stop down the lens. this way the internal flash will fire at max power, and not have a pre-flash, other then that, get your self a sync cord or radio sync.

03-31-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I thought there were optical slave units available which are able to "ignore" pre-flash.

In answer to your whining about "Why Pentax?"......why didn't you do your homework before making a purchase?
03-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Inactive Account

to my other question, why pentax? when i bought this i thought it'd be all good and grand, but i'll never ever buy another one, right now i'm looking for a sharp big aperture lens, and all i can find is those limited lens (31 1.8 and 77 1.8) which are not in stock anywhere and cost close to 800 dollars along with all the other lenses you can never find (super zooms, fast aperture zooms) and now this is another of the stupid why factors on this camera that i just don't understand. so my question again is, why pentax?
Patience grass hopper.

At this stage in Pentax's lens lineup there are the FA35 f2, the FA 31 f1.8, the FA 43 f1.9, the FA 50 f1.4 and the FA 77 f1.8. there is also soon (within the next 2 months) there will be a DA* 16-50 f2.8 and DA* 50-135 f2.8. There is then the 40, 50 and 100 f2.8s, so if you are alittle more specific we may be able to narrow down what you are looking for.

The current situation experienced by Pentax is no different to what was experienced by Nikon around the release of the D200, mass shortages of bodies and lenses.

Other then that if the body isn't what you wanted, sell it and see if the grass is greener, my experience is that it is a different shade of green but not greener.
04-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
with the 1.10 firmware update, if you set the pop up flash to wireless, it will fire only one flash. otherwise if it didn't, the preflash would trigger any wireless unit.
This won't work. K10D, when in P-TTL mode, can only fire P-TTL remote flash. For plain optical slave, you need the K10D to use manual flash - only possible when using M Lenses.

There are digital optical slave unit from Wein and Speedotron which claim to be able to work with P-TTL type of pre-flashes. Haven't seen any confirmation yet. Another option is to use radio trigger, many are sold very cheaply at ebay.
04-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Can you turn off the pre-flash in other brand ttl flashes and retain auto exposure control? I'm not being flip here, I just am curious to know. It does not seem likely to me.
04-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
This won't work. K10D, when in P-TTL mode, can only fire P-TTL remote flash. For plain optical slave, you need the K10D to use manual flash - only possible when using M Lenses.

There are digital optical slave unit from Wein and Speedotron which claim to be able to work with P-TTL type of pre-flashes. Haven't seen any confirmation yet. Another option is to use radio trigger, many are sold very cheaply at ebay.

so if i'm using one of the old 50mm 1.7's or something it may work?