Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DIY Split screen from ZX-m screen

Hello!

Well, seeing the price of a Katzeye screen, and having tried a Chinese screen, I decided to give the DIY approach a try...

I'm surprised that nobody ever thought about the ZX-M split screen, as:
- they are exactly the same thickness as the pentax DSLR screens
- they feature a split prism, surrounded by a nice microprisms ring.
- they are cheap! (4€ at Pentax France)

Well, anyway, I took my saw, some sanding paper, and let's go...

First good impressions:
- split and microprisms work great!
- split doesn't black-out at all! I went right to f/32 and was still able to see both sides (but the whole viewfinder was so dim -indoors, tungsten- that even composing was actually hard). Anyway, f/11-f/16 is a breeze.

First bad impressions:
- microprisms stop working at about f/4-5.6
- exposure metering is not constant with aperture.

Exposure metering
Tests were made with the following lenses, at all available apertures in stop-down mode:
- Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
- Porst 55mm f/1.2
- Apollo 135mm f/1.8
- Takumar 200mm f/4

Results are somewhat better than with chinese screens, but still not perfect:
- f/1.2 is correct
- f/2 underexpose by about 1/2ev
- f/2.8 is correct, near overexposure
- from f/4, there is a constant +1 1/2 ev overexposure

I think the constant overexposure occurring from f/4 is linked to the microprisms black-out.

Conclusions:
I think it's still a better alternative to the Chinese split screens, as the exposure comp needed is easier to handle (nothing before f/2.8, -1 1/2ev from f/4 onward).

The split prisms are simply amazing, as I've not seen any black-out (I'll check on my ZX-m tonight, as I can't remember if it was already the case)...

But, finally, I put back my LL60 focus screen in my k20, as I don't like these exposure problems (I usually find them more irritating than misfocus).

Voilà!

04-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #2

I got a Chinese made split screen, it's ok until F5.6 or above, I have a none working ME, the screen looks better, i want to know how did you make that to fit in the DSLR. and how can you sure the focus is center?
04-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Non-working MG here and champing at the bit
Pete
04-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, I don't know about the ME ang MG bodies...
The MZ-m screen is the same thickness than the k10 factory screen, but I don't know about older film bodies. It would surprise me, in fact...

I've used it a bit more this sunday, outdoors, and in fact the split does black-out, but not until f/22...
f/16 is perfectly fine, and the microprisms black-out occurs at about f/5.6 in bright sunlight...

I'd say that for PK-A lenses, it's really a viable option.

04-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #5

I used ME screen and it works fine. Forgot to measure thickness and compare with the original screen - maybe you could do that and report back here.
Just be careful to make exact dimensions and exactly right angles.
Use Scotch magic tape and white gloves to protect the screen while working on it.
04-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Where did you get the screen for the ZX-M? What's the product code specifically? I've been hunting for a broken ZX-M for just the screen. Thanks =)
04-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gamgee Quote
I used ME screen and it works fine. Forgot to measure thickness and compare with the original screen - maybe you could do that and report back here.
Just be careful to make exact dimensions and exactly right angles.
Use Scotch magic tape and white gloves to protect the screen while working on it.
sounds good
The surgery begins ...

Pete

04-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Andy Lo : hehe, I was looking for a broken zm-m just like you (without success!), then I asked my local Pentax Service for Mz-m spare parts...

They had a bunch of them, so I ordered 3 (one to convert to digital, another to put back in my MZ-m, the last one as spare).
04-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
It breaks my heart to know the good ol' MZ-M is being dissected for parts! Still, I guess it's nice to know its organs are bringing new life to the living.
04-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
It breaks my heart to know the good ol' MZ-M is being dissected for parts! Still, I guess it's nice to know its organs are bringing new life to the living.
It broke mine to dissect the ME although it was non functional and another ME super is still around...but I really like to be able to focus manually!
04-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Does it have to the the ZX-M model? not spotmatic or ME? Because I only see those two sold here locally, dang.
04-15-2009, 03:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
It breaks my heart to know the good ol' MZ-M is being dissected for parts!
Actually, you can apparently still order new spare screens as parts from Pentax France, so no cameras will need to come to harm here
04-15-2009, 04:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Andy Lo : hehe, I was looking for a broken zm-m just like you (without success!), then I asked my local Pentax Service for Mz-m spare parts...

They had a bunch of them, so I ordered 3 (one to convert to digital, another to put back in my MZ-m, the last one as spare).
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try this out =)