Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to tell how many "clicks" my DS has clicked?

How do you tell how many times the shutter has been pressed on your DS? Or can you?

04-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #2

Do you mean how many photos have you taken?
04-13-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes. I got the camera used, so I don't know how used exactly. It works perfectly, just curious...
04-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

On my K10D the file name is the number of shutter releases the camera has performed.

04-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
On my K10D the file name is the number of shutter releases the camera has performed.

Assuming that you have never reset the counter.

Generally, that's the only way an end user can estimate the shutter cycles/clicks.

It's widely and wildly thought that somewhere deep in the electronic bowels of the camera, some 'click counter' is keeping the shutter cycle count--but only the camera manufacturer know for sure if this is being done. They ain't telling.
04-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Really? Cause I'm shooting number 187, and I took over 100 of them myself... whoa. If that's the same for this camera... this thing is almost brand new!

Does it reset for a new firmware upgrade? I think the owner upgraded to the newest before they sold it to me...?

slinky
04-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
It's widely and wildly thought that somewhere deep in the electronic bowels of the camera, some 'click counter' is keeping the shutter cycle count--but only the camera manufacturer know for sure if this is being done. They ain't telling.
Knowing how easy it would be to include, in fact I bet with all their coding they would have to add coding to not have that available. It seems that so many other pieces of equipment in our world have this sort of data available, why wouldn't our cameras be included. Now if we just had a damp dungeon, a chair, some rope, some bamboo, some dripping water, and one of Pentax's engineers from the appropriate department, we too could be privy to such information. I tried taking my camera apart, I couldn't find any counter inside, and now I have a bunch of extra bits, and my camera no longer works just like it used to, so I suggested the other method of finding out.

04-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
That's true up to 9999, then it starts over.... there is no file 0, jumps from 9999 to 0001 again. So you can't go strictly by file name - need to know if its been rolled over.

You can also manually reset the counter as well - so file name wouldn't mean anything at that point...

Don't know why they hide that from us...
04-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olympus cameras keep track. It is a hidden menu. Sure others do to but don't know the secret access button presses.
thanks
barondla