Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Wedding Photo Help

Thanks to all who gave productive positive feedback ! I have done photography before and yes charged $$ and alot of people love my pictures.....i think if you really love what you do ...it will show....this is just my first time switching to a new camera instead of using my old camera....and the reason i had asked this question is because i havent taken many pics with this camera or indoors......
Thanks for answering in a positive and intellegent manner!
I will be fine, its all about the moments captured and not necessarily the perfect pose.

Last edited by Jenness; 04-13-2007 at 06:15 PM.
04-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Jenn,

This section is only for site suggestions and help, so I'll be moving your thread to the DSLR photography section.

Thanks!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Inactive Account

My first thought, how did you end up with the wrong camera? Sencond, how did you end up getting roped into shooting a wedding?

Shooting weddings is the most stressful photography field out there! I know from experience.

Lens? I hope you have a well stocked camera store at your disposal. A 2.8 zoom would be ideal. Something with enough wide angle to get the group shots, bouquet toss, and such, and enough tele to get the portraits. Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 comes to mind. The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 would be good, if you can find one in stock. Nothing will make it all perfect, not even SR.

Settings? Not really. If indoors I would go Av and set your lens aperture wide open (smallest number). Otherwise it is a style preference.
04-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I get asked to do weddings all the time.. but I'd never say yes!

Advice.... hmmmm buy LOTS of memory cards and take a LOT of photos (in RAW mode if you have something like Adobe lightroom ot process them)... probability is a key factor in my photography at least! hehe

I guess take as many as you can in good light and turn a load of the evening flash photographs to contrasty black and white after for a reportage look to cover up onboard flash problem.

This is all a guess though... good luck!

04-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jenness Quote
... I have to be the photographer at a wedding tomorrow and because I haven't spent much time getting to know my camera I am very nervous about the pictures not turning out right. I know the K100 has the stabilizer and the K110 does not, is there a lens I can buy then to help make it all perfect? Can anyone suggest which setting it would be safe to leave the camera on inside and then outside so the pictures will be the best they can be?
If you don't have shake reduction (and with a K110D, you don't), well, you simply don't have it. So, try to avoid moving subjects, use a tripod when you can (for posed shots), push the ISO a bit high and try to keep the aperture small in order to increase depth of field (unless you have time to compose carefully). On the K110D and K100D, ISO 400 is very usable and even 800 isn't too bad - although you absolutely must test that for yourself today and see if you think 800 will work.

I don't think you said whether you have previous digital SLR experience or not. If not - if this is your first DSLR - then you might consider using the camera in Auto or P mode. Make things simple for yourself by using the camera as much like a point-and-shoot as you can. The camera may make fewer mistakes setting the exposure than you would. I think on the K100D there is also an indoors scene mode. I know nothing about it, but you might want to read about it in the users guide. The problem with the scene modes (well, one prob) is that, while they adjust priorities for one type of shooting, they don't know when they're no longer needed. In other words, if you're shooting with a scene mode geared to indoors, and then you step outdoors, well, you risk having a bunch of badly exposed shots. Auto or P will take whatever you throw at them.

You could also figure out exposure bracketing and turn it on. It will double the work you have to do in post-processing but bracketing might help you keep a shot that you might otherwise have throw away. Remember to have LOTS of storage media with you, especially if you're shooting Raw. Note however that if you do shoot Raw AND you use exposure bracketing, on the K110D, the Raw files take a second to write to the card; that means that there's a pretty noticeable delay between the shots, especially as the K100D can only get about 2 Raw shots off before the buffer is full. Not sure how to solve this dilemma. Hmm, let me think. Well, I think shooting Raw is more important than bracketing. So upon reflection, I'd turn bracketing off and shoot Raw.

Got a flash attachment? I don't like flash photography for candids, but it might help you get better shots here, especially if you know how to use it basically. The flash is probably more important than the lens, in your situation. The flash built into the camera is weak and will likely result in lots of red-eye. If you have to use it, I think there's a red-eye reduction feature buried in the menus somewhere.

A lens with a wider aperture would be nicer, but the Pentax kit lens (18-55) will be okay. Keep it on P or Auto, shoot Raw (or highest quality JPEG at least!), review your shots as you shoot. Take lots of shots. Think as you're shooting - not about the camera but about trying to compose the shot, make sure your subject doesn't have cake on his tux, etc. Take fresh extra batteries, and plenty of storage. Good luck!

Will

PS There was another thread not too long ago started by someone who was sort of in your situation. Search for "wedding sister".
04-13-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I don't know if your camera is like the K10D, but if it is use Tav mode and open your aperture all the way (for indoors), and set the shutter at about 1/60. Let the camera choose the ISO.
04-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Unfortunately the 110 has little in common with the 10. Av mode with fairly high iso is the best bet.

Here is another hint. An artistic photo (another name for blurry photo) is better than no photo in many cases. You may not be able to use flash during the ceremony and it will likely be dark. This may mean the difference between that artistic photo and no photo.

As far as flash goes, if you are not fairly proficient with strobe lighting I would go natural light as much as possible. Flash is a very powerful tool when used properly, and a killer of good photographs when not. I have done entire weddings with no flash, when ambient lighting was on my side. Outdoor weddings in the shade or on slightly overcast days are the best, but few and far between.

04-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

SHOOT RAW, get yourself plenty of SD card memorie, like 6-8gig worth and shoot all RAW. Also get yourself a good external flash (AF540 or Sigma 500dgSuper), if you cant find these get a good flash like a Vivitar 285 (check the shoe voltage) and use A (auto) mode, its still good, better than the pop up flash.
Use higher ISO w/ out flash to avoid camera shake, try to find atleast a 50mm F1.7 or F1.4 and something in the tellephoto range like a 200mm in adition to (I am guessing you got the kit) 18-55 lens that came w/ the camera.
Hope your not getting paid, or are a really good photog and just got this new DSLR because you are going to regret taking this job on. I have been doing them for 6 years and still they stress me to the point that I only take on up to 2/mo, on average I only shoot about 10-12/yr and thats usualy w/ someone else, either an assistant for me, or as the assistant to a nother photog friend.
Let us know how you do
04-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #9

Shoot in "P" mode

My response here is based simply on your post. I will assume that you have a "new" knowledge of either digital, cameras and/or wedding photography.

So, I recomend that you shoot in "P" mode with JPEG at the highest quality.

Why? It doesnt sound like you're ready to tackle all of the post-processing necessary when you shoot RAW.

Also, we're not sure if you are the Primary photog. If you are, and this is your first wedding I would err on the side of caution, thus the auto setting.

I shoot weddings and portraits as a side business. I am able to use RAW or JPEG, but I choose JPEG for ease of use...plus on a 2-get card you'll get about 400+ photos.

There are many who will argue (effectively) for RAW, but you know what? If you're able to use your gear, it doesnt matter if you shoot JPEG or RAW....
And, If the customer is satisified, they could care less if you shoot either format...all they want is nice photos.

Also, I have shot about 10-weddings in the past 1.5years.....and although it's a side business for me....I do not find it to be stressful. Hectic, yes, but never stressful.... But there are many pros who feel it is stressful. Just relax, be nice to the Bride (and her mother) and you'll be fine.

BTW, WMBP's advice above is sound....

eric

www.headshots.byeric.com
www.tassillphoto.com

Last edited by pentaxshooter; 04-13-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: minor change
04-13-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
Inactive Account

There's money to be made though. If I was more confident with flash photography I'd give it a go... but not for a friend.. I'd want to enjoy the wedding instead.

A friend of mine recently found a photographer for his wedding. £500 inc 30 prints. I looked at the photographers portfolio.. didn't see any wedding stuff adn I did't rate the images I saw at all. Cheap for a wedding photographer I guess... but a great days earnings! I'll try it one day. Would pay for new lenses!

Has anyone got any examples of wedding stuff to post?
04-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dont do it

OP is looking for advice, why has nobody told him to just say no. If you cant even drive your new camera, you will never be able to do a wedding justice. You might as well borrow a Point and Shoot camera from the happy couple, take some pics, hand it back and hope for the best. Sorry to rain on your parade, but thats how it is. If you do a half decent job, nobody will thank you. If you mess up, your name will be mud. Save yourself the grief and say NO
04-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Jenn I'd echo what eric said just above, but with a bit of a warning. If you are going to be all outside or all inside JPEG is fine and dandy, just be sure to set the WB accordingly. I think the reason so many are recommending RAW is that Pentax cameras are known to get confused with mixed indoor lighting, and give poor results. Shooting RAW is definitely more complicated. A possible solution is to read the manual about custom white balance, and use a white coffee filter in front of the lens for your white balance "card". If you will be moving from inside to ouside and back again I'd suggest using RAW, at least you wont have to worry about everybody looking like they just caught jaundice.
Above all, relax, but be firm, as a photographer you have rights too.

NaCl(good luck and let us know how you make out)H2O
04-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Oh yeah, the most important advice an old wedding photographer can give a new wedding photographer --- charge a LOT of money. I am not kidding. The amount of money you charge has a direct impact on the value your customer will place on you. In other words, if you don't charge much, they won't value you much. Also, the less you charge the more that will be asked of you at the last minute. People are weird that way.
04-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for your positive feedback.
04-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

So..... how did the wedding go?