Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Good news, bad news.

I was enjoying my other passion of competitive off road driving today up in the mountains of Mid Wales, and as I was walking a section I walked down a a slope twards a small river and slipped.
I took off at a trot, then tripped and dived head first into the vertical rocky bank on the other side of the stream. Naturally the top of my head found the pointy rock sticking out the furthest, and I collapsed in a big heap in the stream.

I now have bruises and grazes to my head, hand shoulder and both legs. An extremely stiff neck and shoulder and broken varifocals. If my spelling is all to hell it's because I'mwearing my prescription sunglasses and the keyboard is a mystery.

Oh, I was also carrying my K10 with the kit 18-55 lens and battery pack, and the whole thing was submerged in some very dirty river water and took a nasty crash on the way in there.

I wiped it down with the dry bit of my shirt and pressed the shutter, and it worked ok.
Apart from a slight scratch down the back and a very tiny speck of water under the rear screen it survived far better than I did!

The fact that it's sealed, although this lens isn't, and the reputation for ruggedness is what made me convert to Pentax from Canon, and I hope this is proved to be the case.

Off road motorsport is by it's very nature a hostile environment, the K10 spends a lot of time dumped on the passenger seat of my 4x4, which is open to the elements. It has actually been on the seat while I compete, I just tighten the camera strap around the seat back.

It's also passed around other competitors and spectators while I drive, and peoploe who know about other brands of DSLR always like the feel of it and the features. If I pass it to someone who hasn't got a clue I just leave it set and tell them to "press the big silver button"

I've never been 'precious' about my camera's, I want pictures not an ornament, and this is exactly what I want.

I'm back in action tomorrow, if my aches and pains let me?

05-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I wish you a prompt recovery. Next time you go there, take off your roller blades first.
05-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #3

Great story, hope you get well and nice to hear about your camera's adventures!
05-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Geez. Hope you are OK! Glad your camera seems to have survived the incident. Durability is one of the main reasons I chose the K10D, too. Mine has been in the pouring rain, driving snow, blinding dust, spewing beer, you name it. Your story is much better than my drunk-in-Paris-and-tripped-on-a-chain-behind-the-Louvre story:

And my stepped-on-my-camera-while-it-was-under-my-chair story:

05-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Glad you're alrightish.

You might want to leave the camera in a warm place with it's doors open and lens off, just in case.
05-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Glad you're alrightish.

You might want to leave the camera in a warm place with it's doors open and lens off, just in case.
Good point. A night in a bucket full of dried rice works wonders for wet electronics. I'd do that with the lens on, though
05-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #7

as a mechanical engineer, it pleases me to see that my camera of choice is so hardcore.

**** yeah Pentax!

oh, and nature did a pretty good job with the human body too

05-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
And my stepped-on-my-camera-while-it-was-under-my-chair story:
Were you wearing high heels or something?
05-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
As always
05-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good point. A night in a bucket full of dried rice works wonders for wet electronics. I'd do that with the lens on, though
Oh no! (visions of wife sticking bucket of rice on stove for quick dinner)
05-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
As always
Were they three inch Steletos?
05-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote

Were they three inch Steletos?
Of course!
05-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I hope you'll recover soon, Lloydy.
Off road is a dangerous and challenging sport for sure.
Sorry but, did anybody take picture of you and your camera in the stream? I just want to see how bad it is.

Glad that your K10D survive. I've heard many stories like this from K10D owners.
Pentax did a good job to protect their camera.
Now, if only they can start protecting the photographer ... :P
05-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Here I am driving through the stream I fell into, it's safer in my 4x4!

My neck is still sore, and there's a lot of bruises and scabs on the top of my head, but I did fall off the top of that bank and land on my head.

The camera fine, there's a slight bubble under the rear screen and a scratch on the grip.

It looked bad when my friend fished it out of the mud, but I went a bit upstream and dunked it in some cleaner water until I got home.

And despite there being many other people taking pictures and video, my embarrasment remains a well kept secret.