Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K100D: How to fix a small scratch on LCD cover?

I just purchased a K100D off of ebay that has less than 1500 actuations! It is in mint condition except for a small scratch on the LCD cover. Is there a way I can replace it for as little cost as possible?

I've heard that on some cameras, you can actually suction the glass off and install a replacement in its place relatively easily.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

(BTW, first post!)

05-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A quick search revealed some options:

How to Rejuvenate Plastic LCD Screen Covers
Get Displex Display Polish Scratch Remover for Cell Phone LCD screens w/ major savings!
Scuff healing polish for LCD Screens? - Canon Digital Photography Forums

I've not tried any of these, but have a few scratches I need to buff out myself.
05-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maconmatt Quote
I just purchased a K100D off of ebay that has less than 1500 actuations! It is in mint condition except for a small scratch on the LCD cover. Is there a way I can replace it for as little cost as possible?

I've heard that on some cameras, you can actually suction the glass off and install a replacement in its place relatively easily.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

(BTW, first post!)
Have not done it on a Pentax, but on a Canon -- just used a hairdryer to warm it up a bit and then stuck a suction cup to it and peeled it off.
05-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've used Simichrome to polish scratches out of clear plastic. Toothpaste can work if the scratch isn't too deep. With either, I'd practice on a piece of scrap first to get your technique down. Normally, I just use my fingers to work it in, rinsing periodically to check progress. That way, you can 'feel' when the scratch is gone to avoid overpolishing.

05-14-2009, 04:28 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
'I've used Simichrome to polish scratches out of clear plastic. Toothpaste can work if the scratch isn't too deep.'
I've used stuff called 'Polywatch' on plastic watch crystals to good effect, and I've also successfully used 'T'-cut (an automotive paint restorer; mild abrasive) and Solvol-Autosol on perspex radio dials.

I would stick with the Polywatch in this case, though...
05-14-2009, 04:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would leave it alone.

unless it interferes with the functionality of the camera, you are best to do nothing
05-14-2009, 04:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome Matt !

I suggest you just try to put some protective adhesive tape on the display. More often than not the scratch has disappeared then.

Looking forward to your pics,
Georg (the other)

05-14-2009, 05:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, friend.

If it's a deep scratch you could also try filling it with clear fingernail polish, applied with a toothpick, then one of the polishes others have mentioned.
05-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

I'll probably just leave it as it is...maybe put a cover over it. I think i can live with it!

I look forward to participating at these forums!
05-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would ignore it...how big is it?
05-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I would ignore it...how big is it?
I just got the camera in the mail today. It's SUPER MINOR. I'm not worried about it a bit! I'll try and post some photos with my new toy soon!