Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
And you wonder why...

Come on, people! This thread is an "olive branch" (google it) no matter what color. If you want "answers from Pentax" (as opposed to 3rd hand speculation) make them feel welcome and disprove whatever misgivings they might have by being patient and accepting of their opinions. So far, this thread has only shown me that, indeed, the forums on Dpreview are more civilized (or at least more mature in dealing with Pentax people).

-Mark
I'm sorry if either you or John misunderstood my comments. Though a bit tongue in cheek they were meant as an olive branch with a bit of reproach to inferring we were "less civilized". Apparently I would make a terrible "negotiator".........
Anyways, carry on.

05-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I'm sorry if either you or John misunderstood my comments. Though a bit tongue in cheek they were meant as an olive branch with a bit of reproach to inferring we were "less civilized". Apparently I would make a terrible "negotiator".........
Anyways, carry on.
I guess the civility is due to the British background of DP Review.

Again, sorry for any offense my original message may have caused. I started the thread sitting on my couch at home, after a communte home that lasted twice as long as normal, and missed putting my 6-month old to bet.

You guys are fiesty over here though.
05-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #33

thanks JCPentax

1) Is there going to be a custom function such that it's possible to zoom in to 100% by pressing a button or turning a dial, to check focus?

2) is there going to be a custom function such that it's possible to zoom in to 100% and the focus point used, to check focus?

On a random note, please please custom function for making the AF point selection /4 way controller modal (i.e. to work as in the K20D). I guess hitting ok before moving the AF point around won't KILL me, but that'll be (possibly the only) regression as compared to the K20D.
05-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #34
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xand Quote
thanks JCPentax

1) Is there going to be a custom function such that it's possible to zoom in to 100% by pressing a button or turning a dial, to check focus?

2) is there going to be a custom function such that it's possible to zoom in to 100% and the focus point used, to check focus?

On a random note, please please custom function for making the AF point selection /4 way controller modal (i.e. to work as in the K20D). I guess hitting ok before moving the AF point around won't KILL me, but that'll be (possibly the only) regression as compared to the K20D.
In live view, you can zoom up to 8X to check focus by pressing the INFO button. The zoom while reviewing images is pretty much the same as the K20D. You can set the "quick zoom" to automatically jump as high as 32X with a turn of the rear e-dial, but it is zooming on the center of the image.

Good idea on locking the zoom area to the focus point (but it doesn't currently do this.

Finally, after playing with the K-7 for a couple months now, adjusting the focus point doesn't take too long to get used to (the OK button press). I think this was a case of re-organizing how one function is done to make accessing others easier.

05-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll queue up a few more questions for you when you get the time.

1. Will magnifying eyepieces currently on the market that work on the K20D and other camera models still work on the K-7?

2. There has been some concern on this forum from left-eyed photographers about the K-7, due primarily, I believe, to the K-7's smaller width. Do you think these photographers will be able to use the K-7 comfortably?

3. I read that coupons for Pentax products will be included in the K-7 box. Is this true? And if so, what products can we expect to see discounted? (if you can only speak generally, will it be a category like lenses, flashes, or other accessories?)

4. There has already been an extensive thread here on a supposedly leaked new lens road map. I know you won't be able to comment on new lenses or even on the validity of this rumor, but I was wondering if there is a timeline we can expect for the official release of K-7 and new lens information.

Thanks.
05-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the DPReview preview is correct, that actually *is* modal on the pre-production model. See the 2nd paragraph on page 7: Pentax K-7 Hands-on Preview: 7. Operation & Controls: Digital Photography Review

Let's hope it remains that way with the production cameras.
05-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Blame Canada!

QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
You guys are fiesty over here though.
That comes from reading Wheatfield and Gooshin's posts all the time.
(I'm kidding, guys. We all know that living in Canada just makes people hot-headed and feisty!)

Thanks for the answers, John.

Please send a "gentle suggestion" to the product designers that, starting with the K-7, if "one button AEB" is selected as a Custom function, the mirror should stay up the whole time.

I mean, the user has explicitly asked for continuous brackets in this case! It's a usability and efficiency issue that I'm sure can be appreciated by engineering as well... in fact I cannot fathom a use case where split-second mirror return is desired given these inputs! (Sigh, my professional life of UI design intrudes on my hobby again...)

05-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys need to let me get some sleep.

1) I am not really sure on this one.

2) I am sure it is always a goal to improve the performance. Hopefully the new metering system and aperture control mechanism will help here.
Thanks for the reply. as always a reply prompts more questions.

related somewhat to metering issue with K10D and K20D, will the K7 allow you to input a teleconverter factor, to allow for SR correction, and correction of aperture when using teleconverters that feed lens information directly without modifying the data appropriately in the TC.

as an aside, and more related to lens roadmap, does pentax plan a new 1.4x and 2x TC that will support both HSM and Screw drive..
05-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #39
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'll queue up a few more questions for you when you get the time.

1. Will magnifying eyepieces currently on the market that work on the K20D and other camera models still work on the K-7?

2. There has been some concern on this forum from left-eyed photographers about the K-7, due primarily, I believe, to the K-7's smaller width. Do you think these photographers will be able to use the K-7 comfortably?

3. I read that coupons for Pentax products will be included in the K-7 box. Is this true? And if so, what products can we expect to see discounted? (if you can only speak generally, will it be a category like lenses, flashes, or other accessories?)

4. There has already been an extensive thread here on a supposedly leaked new lens road map. I know you won't be able to comment on new lenses or even on the validity of this rumor, but I was wondering if there is a timeline we can expect for the official release of K-7 and new lens information.

Thanks.
1) Yes, the actual eyepiece "rails" that the magnifier attached to is the same.

2) I am left eye dominant and haven't had a problem

***Funny aside, when I shot film I noticed a color shift between my right and left eyes (once heard it was due to high blood pressure). So, when I shot Velvia, I looked through the viewfinder with my left eye, and when I shot Kodachrome I would look through my right.****

3) We are including a rebate coupon with all K-7's shipped in the US (if you don't get the coupon, you likely have a grey market camera). They are numbered, and no copies are accepted (to keep fraud down). The rebate is paid out in the form of a Visa gift card. The coupon includes the following:

DA 17-70 - $90
DA 55-300 - $60
DA 10-17 - $90
DA 40 Limited - $60
DA* 16-50 - $100
AF 360FGZ - $25
AF 540FGZ - $25
8x36 DCF NV binos - $30
10x36 DCF NV binos - $30
8x25 UCF WP - $20
10x25 UCF WP - $20

4) While the timeline in the post looks "offocial" I suspect it is a fake. We have not seen any updated lens roadmap and when they distribute this type of thing is comes to all countries. I know everyone in the marketing department in Japan that puts these together and none of them would leak this.

As far as availability on the K-7 and the two new WR lenses, we are looking at early to mid-July.
05-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #40

Good idea on locking the zoom area to the focus point (but it doesn't currently do this.
I can't take credit - it's an option for the Nikon D3 (and perhaps others).

Hope it's not patent encumbered and can be introduced!

New question: Might you have any information about SEA timelines for introduction, particularly Singapore? I would like one
05-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
If the DPReview preview is correct, that actually *is* modal on the pre-production model. See the 2nd paragraph on page 7: Pentax K-7 Hands-on Preview: 7. Operation & Controls: Digital Photography Review

Let's hope it remains that way with the production cameras.
Maybe are talking about different items.

The AF point selection is modal in that you can switch between Auto, Selectable and spot focus with a dial around the AF button on the back of the camera.

However, to switch between focus points in the selectable mode you must press the OK first before you shift your focus point.
05-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #42

Thanks JCPentax

Thank you for posting here and please ignore the numbskulls.
My big question is how I am going to wrangle the finances to buy the K-7? Please let me know ASAP!
Seriously, great camera and welcome to the posting side of PF!
05-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Thanks for the reply. as always a reply prompts more questions.

related somewhat to metering issue with K10D and K20D, will the K7 allow you to input a teleconverter factor, to allow for SR correction, and correction of aperture when using teleconverters that feed lens information directly without modifying the data appropriately in the TC.

as an aside, and more related to lens roadmap, does pentax plan a new 1.4x and 2x TC that will support both HSM and Screw drive..
As far as I know, with regards to TCs, the K-7 will more than likely work the same as the K10D and K20D (how that is, I don't know since I have never used one before on either).

It was no secret that there was a 1.4X converter on older lens roadmaps, but it disappeared in the latest iteration. Japan stated this was removed due to market conditions (i.e. the economy). This means the plans are out there, we just don't know when it will happen.
05-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I can't take credit - it's an option for the Nikon D3 (and perhaps others).

Hope it's not patent encumbered and can be introduced!

New question: Might you have any information about SEA timelines for introduction, particularly Singapore? I would like one
Not outside the U.S.
05-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #45
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
Thank you for posting here and please ignore the numbskulls.
My big question is how I am going to wrangle the finances to buy the K-7? Please let me know ASAP!
Seriously, great camera and welcome to the posting side of PF!
I would suggest donating blood, having a garage sale, selling off spare items like TVs (since you will be out shooting).

I would suggest avoiding robbing banks or other illegal activities as I don't think they allow you to bring cameras in to prison.