Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

There will be no K30

The original name for the K-7 was the K30. However, as developement rolled on, we realized that this camera was much more than a replacement to the K20D. Therefore, we decided to move to a different number.

As far as where that number came from, it is hard to say. I probably shouldn't share this, but the original suggestion was K-9. For obvious reasons we here in the US and our European counterparts vetoed this idea.

05-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JCPentax Quote
The original name for the K-7 was the K30. However, as developement rolled on, we realized that this camera was much more than a replacement to the K20D. Therefore, we decided to move to a different number.

As far as where that number came from, it is hard to say. I probably shouldn't share this, but the original suggestion was K-9. For obvious reasons we here in the US and our European counterparts vetoed this idea.
Hey, if you're really from Pentax Imaging, thanks for this unofficial official comment :-) Nice to be able to put to rest this silly notion that, for some reason, there's going to be a K30D.
05-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info, John. And thanks for preventing a "k-9"!

Cheers.
05-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe starting with the K7, Pentax can go with naming all of their cameras "prime" numbers: K3, K5, K13, etc.

05-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Ah, shucks! I thought that K-7 was LX upside down and reversed. I had all kinds of pictures in my mind of an ad campaign of the K-7 with an LX reflection...

Steve
05-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #6

I, for one, LOVE the specs on the new camera. Thanks for making it! To me, this is a nearly perfect crop sensor camera. The people asking for an upgrade, to me, are crazy. This camera is 1299 MSRP, a camera above this K7 would be, what, 1599? 1699? What would this extra 400 dollars buy people? I can't think of anything significant. And nothing that I would want to pay more money for. (assuming the AF is a bit quicker/accurate)

Unless this imaginary new camera was full frame, who cares. And for me, full frame itself is one giant who cares. FF is something the canon and nikon have... if you need it, well... there you go.

For me, this K-7 is perfect. I think for most it is. Its the PERFECT answer to the Nikon D90. Great camera, everything you could want, mostly.
05-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Hey, if you're really from Pentax Imaging, thanks for this unofficial official comment :-) Nice to be able to put to rest this silly notion that, for some reason, there's going to be a K30D.
well he never did say there wasnt going to be K20d replacement...merely the original design for K30 is renamed K7.

Always a chance a newer design for K20D replacement is in the works.

At $1299, the K7 is up against stiff competition so hopefully lens prices might come down a tad to help in marketing it to people who may have never heard of Pentax or at least a value added lens lineup. At the current price range, the K20D is now probably walking to the tune "Hail to the Chief"

05-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
well he never did say there wasnt going to be K20d replacement...merely the original design for K30 is renamed K7.

At $1299, the K7 is up against stiff competition so hopefully lens prices might come down a tad to help in marketing it to people who may have never heard of Pentax or at least a value added lens lineup. At the current price range, the K20D is now probably walking to the tune "Hail to the Chief"

Did you read the thread title??
05-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote

1. 645D
  2. K-7
  3. KM/K2000
  4. Optio W Line
05-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
Did you read the thread title??
yes i did.

No K30...could be K50, K60 or even K25...

With Hoya managing Pentax now...really hard to guess but compared to whats available at K20D`s price range, K20D pretty much at the top now.

Would be perfect if Tokina would launch the no frills 50-135mm f2.8 for pentax mount. not everyone needs/can afford the SDM or weatherprooofing or the DA* badge.

Last edited by Reportage; 05-27-2009 at 06:09 PM.
05-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Pity you didn't go with K9, me being an old Doctor Who fan Iwould have ached to own one just for the name.
05-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Pity you didn't go with K9, me being an old Doctor Who fan Iwould have ached to own one just for the name.
Yes K-9 would have been cool. Then, they could introduce a FF and call it "The Master".
05-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

....but the original suggestion was K-9. For obvious reasons we here in the US and our European counterparts vetoed this idea.
What's wrong with number "9"? Why is it better than "7"?
05-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thank you for the insight

I was hoping a K30D would be bigger like K20D and have articulated viewscreen too. Sounds like K-7 is it for new aps-c dslrs this year then? Being a big guy. 6'4" 250 or as I like to say 1/8th of a ton I am not a fan of ever smaller camera bodies.

K-7 looks like a winner. Wish it had articulated viewscreen though.

As you know about K-7 can you confirm it does autofocus in HD mode or manual focus only in HD?

If no af during HD mode, why not?

Also does K-7 come with any software for HD editing, ect?

Thanks &

Congrats on K-7. Very well deserved.

Last edited by Samsungian; 05-27-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: misspelled word
05-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

While I like K-7, K-9 would have been interesting from a marketing standpoint.

"The Pentax K-9, a photographer's best friend."