Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OMG.... Aperture lever broken?

I mounted my 50mm f/2 and before i mounted it on, I stood up and apparently the camera's neck strap was on the chair arm so it fell to the ground.
And then the bad part.
Every time I mount a lens on, the aperture doesn't change. A aperture doesn't work anymore, I must move my aperture ring on all of my lenses and the 18-55mm is ALWAYS shooting at f/22 or f/32 although it shows as f/3.5 on the LCD screen.
I am really scared... There must be some solution. I see a gear in the back of the aperture ring and I think if I push the lever down, it will lock back into place, but I don't wanna screw it up even more. Can someone help please?
*50mm coating got chipped as well.... :-(
*can't find any solutions online or anyone having this problem
*pictures will be up as soon as possible but I need some guidance on how to fix it.

Last edited by GLXLR; 07-18-2009 at 11:11 AM.
07-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Pleaseeee someone tell me what to do!
07-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Fear not.

Read my post in this thread. I think it will help you to fix the problem.
07-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #4

I don't know if this will work, but put the camera in the clean sensor mode. The arm for the aperture will move up in to the position that yours in at the moment. When you turn the camera off, if will come back down. If a lens is on the camera, it may be blocking it from coming back down. Not sure, just an idea.

07-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pdxbmw Quote
I don't know if this will work, but put the camera in the clean sensor mode. The arm for the aperture will move up in to the position that yours in at the moment. When you turn the camera off, if will come back down. If a lens is on the camera, it may be blocking it from coming back down. Not sure, just an idea.
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Fear not.

omg... so confusing though.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=22253959

I read this but I am confused as to what he is saying.

Where exactly do I hook the spring to? Can someone post a video or photo or at least tell me which part is which?

Last edited by GLXLR; 07-18-2009 at 02:47 PM.
07-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fear not.

Hey SOldBear, are you sure you had the same problem? In the solution provided, it says push the lever UP but mine is already UP.
07-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I still can't do it. I found no other spring.

07-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is why I don't like neckstraps.

Every instant they aren't securely around a neck or double-wrapped around a wrist they cease being protective and turn into potential instruments of destruction.

I wouldn't be surprised if more cameras have been ruined by neckstraps than have ever been saved by them.
07-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
This is why I don't like neckstraps.

Every instant they aren't securely around a neck or double-wrapped around a wrist they cease being protective and turn into potential instruments of destruction.

I wouldn't be surprised if more cameras have been ruined by neckstraps than have ever been saved by them.
lol... I am thinking the same...
I have asked my dad to help and even he can't find the spring.PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Where exactly do I hook the spring to? Can someone post a video or photo or at least tell me which part is which?
Try here and here.

Last edited by tomwil; 07-18-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added pic.
07-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fear not.

I think I had a different problem, although I really appreciate you spending time looking up the old thread! Thanks!
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Try here and here.

The picture really helped! I got it all solved now. Never realized the solution was so simple! Thanks a ton! I bet I wouldn't even been able to sleep if it wasn't for you "just in time" solution!

Last edited by GLXLR; 07-18-2009 at 10:22 PM.
07-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

WOW happy ending

I feel happy for you. I will try to remember this post if this happens to me.
07-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
WOW happy ending

I feel happy for you. I will try to remember this post if this happens to me.
Ya! It's so nice that there are two types of this problem and i got both here!

First Thing i'm going to do is get a new neck strap, one that is super short...
07-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #14

Aargh - this thread brings back memories. I went on a trip to Guatemala a few months back, and it seems the aperture lever retaining spring slid off (as pictured above) on the flight there.

Why yes, it was very fun trying to capture the majesty of the ancient runins of Tikal. With a 50mm (or rather 75mm) lens. In a jungle. Fully manual. I mean FULLY - having to manualy open aperture to focus and stop down to shoot every frame. With a high-shut off voltage K100D, which would decide the battery has died every other shot. There may not have been so much ill-feeling at Tikal since an obsidian blade last sunk into the heart of a sacrificed prisoner.

I was about to throw away the damn brick of a camera. Then I figured out how to fix the fault on the last day of the trip (with help from my trusty Leaherman multitool, which was stolen from my bag on the flight back). Let's say my relationship with Pentax was strained by the experience. I was *this* close to buying a D90, but realised I would miss in-body SR very much indeed, and the K-7 is a sexy camera.

So I bought a DA* 16-50 in anticipation of the new body (most expensive lens I ever bought and half a month's income for me). It was vaseline-soft and is now in the land of the rising sun being fixed.

I guess I stray a bit off-topic, but basically what I'm saying is glad you managed to fix your problem, GLXLR (and while I may be a patient and reasonable man, if the K7 fails me I'm off to Nikonland, Hoya be damned)