Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 09:32 PM   #1

ist* DS select dial problems

Hello everyone,

This happens to be my first post here on these forums. I searched for this issue and found a link or 2 however not a real fix and didn't feel like opening a old thread.

So my co-worker is having an issue with the e-dial (select dial is what the manual calls it). When turning to adjust the aperture/shutter/or zoom it seems to jump around. If turning in one direction it works flawlessly. Going the other way is hit and more than likely miss. In the other posts they suggested to clean the dial with electronic cleaner. If I was to try to clean this would I have any advantages of taking the top of the body off exposing more of the dial? I am trying to teach him how to use more than just the green box however it is posing problems since we cannot change the settings very well.

Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by psycorpse; 07-22-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Edit title (Added more)
07-23-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Happens to me sometimes to. The best answer is don't do it.
07-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a common problem with the *istDS. And it is easily solved. Just buy a can of CRC Electronic cleaner and spray a few drops (ie: small amount) into the upside and downside of the e-dial. Maybe you have to repeat the process after a few days. I did this one year ago and my *istDS has been fine after that with no problems with the e-dial.

See attatched picture.

Make sure you don't use any other CRC product with oil.
Attached Images

07-23-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

easy fix

It's a pretty common problem with the *ist DS. I used something called Ultreen contact cleaner on mine and it fixed the problem, although I have had to do it a couple of times. The stuff smells pretty much like rubbing alcohol, so you may just be able to use that actually.

Don't bother with any dis-assembly, just put a little cleaner in the crack above and below the dial and spin it around a few times. You might want to turn the camera off and remove the batteries when you do this, although I think I have done it with it on once. All it takes is a couple of drops of cleaner so even if the problem comes back one bottle will last a long time.