Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 05:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D sensor malfunction

My K20D just started to misbehave yesterday.
In many shots, a thick green band appears near the left border of the image (it's actually composed of many thinner bands, close together). I've attached some sample images.

I've noticed a slight tendency for the band(s) to appear only after I've taken a few shots since turning the camera on, but the behavior is quite random. Some shots are perfectly ok, others are very bad. The band pattern differs from one picture to another, but it's always near the left border of the image.

One of the pictures is a long exposure (several minutes) with the night sky. In this image, the band is purple, not green. If you look closely, you'll also see a dark band to the right of the frame.

It looks like a sensor malfunction and I'm afraid the camera will have to make a visit to the repair shop. Has anyone else had similar problems? If so, how long did your camera stay in for repairs? I really need the camera back before August 11th but I fear it'll take a lot longer to repair. (I'm considering keeping the camera a bit longer and simply cropping out the bad areas as a temporary solution)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
07-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Does the band appear in RAW images as well? -- it's a long shot but you never know.
07-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scrib Quote
Does the band appear in RAW images as well? -- it's a long shot but you never know.
Yes, in fact, I only shoot RAW. The images above were extracted from RAW files. I've also tried changing the memory card, but the bands didn't go away.
08-03-2009, 02:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
I've seen other people on this site having problems with their sensor, although there were only faint, thin lines.

08-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't look like something you can do anything about.
Hope it works out well with the repair guys.
08-03-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
Damn Brit

Just on the off chance, have you tried a different card.
08-03-2009, 03:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

If this is an event you are shooting (particularly paid) I wouldn't consider using the camera at all. You could easily have the entire sensor fail and have nothing to crop. Far too risky. Got a spare camera or someone you can borrow a camera from?

Any chance you use Live View a lot of before this happens? I notice that the worst shot was a time exposure where the sensor would be getting hotter.

08-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Just on the off chance, have you tried a different card.
Yes, but the problem persists.
08-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
If this is an event you are shooting (particularly paid) I wouldn't consider using the camera at all. You could easily have the entire sensor fail and have nothing to crop. Far too risky. Got a spare camera or someone you can borrow a camera from?

Any chance you use Live View a lot of before this happens? I notice that the worst shot was a time exposure where the sensor would be getting hotter.
I've sent the camera in for repairs. Fortunately, I won't be needing it for business in the next few weeks, only for leisure.
As for the live view, I rarely use it, but indeed, the problem does seem to appear after taking a few shots and heating the sensor a bit.
08-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hope it works out well for you.
Let us know how you go...
09-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #11

Original Poster
Well, a week or so after I sent it in for repairs, they gave me a new camera body because they couldn't fix the old one. I hope the new body will last longer (much longer).

Thanks to everyone for their support!
09-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibi Quote
Well, a week or so after I sent it in for repairs, they gave me a new camera body because they couldn't fix the old one. I hope the new body will last longer (much longer).

Thanks to everyone for their support!
Glad to hear they did you right!
09-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #13
Forum Member

Help me, I found short stripes like these in some of my pics. Mine did have some hot pixels but I have mapped them out, now I have new problem . My k20d is a refurbished one, so, I have to stick with it . Can anybody here confirm that those was from card problems or sensor problems? Thanks

Last edited by XATN3q; 09-09-2009 at 02:53 AM.
09-09-2009, 03:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried changing cards? This doesn't look like a sensor issue only because the missing data is in different spots and different placement on each photo. Looks like a writing error to me.
09-09-2009, 04:49 AM   #15
Forum Member

Thanks Peter Zach, my friends told me same thing, I will format the card and try it again.